GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 DSG Mechatronic Failure

GolfMatchMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GOLF MATCH (64)
Hi all,

Hope you’re all well - its been a while since I’ve posted here which is a good thing right?

Anyway, what was the longest stretch without any problems on my Golf since ownership came to an end about two weeks ago. I had drove my car in the morning, parked it outside the station and came back in the evening to a ‘Error: Gearbox’ message on the dash. I could turn the engine on, but I could not engage Drive or Reverse. There was absolutely no symptoms of this in the morning when I drove it.

Called VW Roadside who sent an AA van which could do absolutely nothing, and then made me wait another 6 hours with the car for a recovery truck. Both of the guys said the DSG gearboxes in these cars are always failing and they recover about 4/5 of these every week. However, whilst one said it could be a pressure pump in gearbox another said it could be a completely blown gearbox.

VW Roadside provided a loan car (Skoda Octavia) from Enterprise. Was told it would be taken back after 48 hours if dealership did not confirm it was a warranty issue.

Spent a week in limbo whilst car was at stealership wondering how much this would cost me if it isn’t covered under warranty? The warranty wording is very ambigious and confusing. Also, the 48 hours for the loan car had surpassed and Enterprise could take the car back at any minute. I lost a lot of sleep over it tbh.

Finally got a call after a week from stealers saying that either oil had leaked into the Mechatronics unit or there was an oil leak inside the unit - but it was covered under warranty. Got the call today that the job is done but they’ll need my spare key to reprogramme to the new unit.

I was surprised at how no-fuss this whole process was - I did not have to argue nor bring up any consumer right laws as I usually do lol.

I’ve looked up on this and this seems to be a very very common issue. Why is that? Has anyone ever faced a mechatronics issue and what was the outcome?

Although this is resolved, I thought it would be good to share for the MK7 community.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
At what mileage (or kilometers) did it fail and was it serviced on time?

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
My car was giving me a "transmission in emergency mode" error and a few others retrieved with my Cobb AP. After having it into the dealer twice they initially thought it was the mechatronic module but, now they're thinking something else and that the entire transmission needs to be replaced. Pretty bummed about it. 2017, 106,000km.