GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 defrosting issues

TwinSnails

Ready to race!
Car(s)
B5 S4 Avant, Mk7 R
SOLVED

TLDR; blend door actuator busted inside the dash, no air being pushed against the windshield when switching to defrost

For anyone following this I ended up taking the R into a shop as I couldn't figure it out myself. My car wasn't leaking coolant, no moisture in the car, I did the HVAC relearn etc. but had no luck. The one thing I was able to figure out was that I was not feeling any air coming out of the vents on the top of the dash when I switched to defrost. The shop did a diagnosis to see what was going on and they found the actuator in the dash that moves the blend doors and redirects air up to the windshield had broke, so I was getting no air on the windshield when I turned on the defrost. They had to tear apart the dash to get back into the area where the actuator lives and swap it out. $80 part from VW, plus diagnosis cost, plus labor = $400 to get my defrost back just in time to not use it for another 9 months.

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the update. Hate it when people make these types of troubleshooting threads without posting their resolution