GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
So I did my transmission mount swap yesterday, and I bought a specific 16mm swivel head socket to make life easier for the mount -> frame bolts. I was home and putting my tools up when I remembered I had that socket.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have a 300Km daily commute... had Covid a month ago, life happened... you would not guess how many Km since my last oil change.

It would give some of you a stroke, best not to ask. (It goes in Monday for service.)

My 16 month old car will be out of warranty in another 6 weeks.
Yeah. I had a 9 month period when i first got the Golf where i did 40k miles. Slowed down since then

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah. I had a 9 month period when i first got the Golf where i did 40k miles. Slowed down since then
I put 50k miles on my 92 GTI and took a bath trading it in a year later on the Corrado. We moved closer to work, so worked out well with the Corrado. It wouldn't have been up to that kind of use. It broke a lot. Still loved it.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I put 70k on my '83 Mustang GT in the first two years of ownership. Would wash it 4 or 5 times a week. Really loved that car.
Wish I could get that thrill back, of just driving for hours for no reason at all.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I put 70k on my '83 Mustang GT in the first two years of ownership. Would wash it 4 or 5 times a week. Really loved that car.
Wish I could get that thrill back, of just driving for hours for no reason at all.

I guess this response also serves as a confession, I haven’t experienced that since my first car, my MK5 Jetta. I loved my first MK7 but I “enjoyed it too much” and understeered it into a guard rail at 1700 miles and it sucked after that lol.

Until I got my Touareg. I love this thing so damn much. It is the pinnacle of VW and I am super glad I got one before they were all old. It may go without saying but it is several steps above any other VW model, with the sole exception of the Phaeton.

Zero rattles anywhere in the cabin @ 6 years 38K miles. Incredible noise isolation despite the ludicrous pano roof. 12 speaker Dynaudio is best stereo I’ve ever heard in a car. Ventilated Terra cotta brown leather seats are the comfiest I’ve ever sat in. The chassis is incredibly eager to rotate for its size/weight. The only reason for understeer is the factory sways/coilovers, which I will be upgrading to R-Line springs (.5” lower) and Bilstein HDs + Cayenne GTS sways. The factory torque is the same power to weight ratio as a GTI. And the permanent 40/60 split AWD has such a satisfying drive. It also gets 30-33 mpg on the highway which is better than my previous 6MT Alltrack.

The cherry on top is mine is under power train warranty to 2029/100K miles, and diesel gate to 2029/120K. The feeling of knowing I basically got a Cayenne with factory warranty to 100K+ For the cost of a Golf R. I will own this car till its wheels fall off, and that’s saying something coming from a guy who has owned 7 cars by 29.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Forgive me father for I have sinned.

I purchased the exacts same parts I took off my car and sold less than a year ago. This was during a momentary lapse of judgment when I decided I was going to be “smarter with my $”.

My wife even called it. She literally said, “I don’t understand why you’re selling that stuff. You’re just going to buy the same thing a few months down the road”. At least I didn’t disappoint.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

I purchased the exacts same parts I took off my car and sold less than a year ago. This was during a momentary lapse of judgment when I decided I was going to be “smarter with my $”.

My wife even called it. She literally said, “I don’t understand why you’re selling that stuff. You’re just going to buy the same thing a few months down the road”. At least I didn’t disappoint.
You can blame her for "manifesting" it

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Yeah keep your stock parts. Never know what life will bring next (saying this after already selling stock wheels…). I still have my rsb, exhaust and intake though lol

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

So far the only thing I've actually parted with are the stock Austins - used pads and rotors were trashed, but everything else down to wheel bolts, all sitting in the rafters. Sure I could "use" the cash, but I've made a few 'panic sales' in the past only to realize I didn't need the money and ended up spending more to recoup the item I sold.

Reactions: MSH

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yeah keep your stock parts. Never know what life will bring next (saying this after already selling stock wheels…). I still have my rsb, exhaust and intake though lol
I think the wheels are an exception to this, because they're on the markets pretty steadily. I ditched mine purely for storage reasons. Apparently my wife's gardening shed is only for gardening stuff. 🤷🏻‍♂️

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
So far the only thing I've actually parted with are the stock Austins - used pads and rotors were trashed, but everything else down to wheel bolts, all sitting in the rafters. Sure I could "use" the cash, but I've made a few 'panic sales' in the past only to realize I didn't need the money and ended up spending more to recoup the item I sold.

Same. I have everything as well except stock Cadiz. “ Plan”is to return my R to stock as much as possible when the time comes to sell which was supposed to have happened already but with this insane market desired replacements are stupid $ I’m really dreading the return to stock though with the amount of shit I have done to the car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have always sold my stock parts, every build, then regret it every time.

But honestly, it takes me so long to get aftermarket parts on the car, am I REALLY going to put it back to stock? Not likely, but I like to mentally torture myself that I coulda, shoulda.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

My wife calls me on it every time I put a car on air…..