GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My favorite yet
lol, I just don't want something dumb like that to hurt my trade in value. No idea if they would even notice something like that, but I should still have all my original parts and it's an easy swap. I'll do it for the next owner...

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
1UP -> my top speed on the way home in the evenings is 35, and that's assuming all the degens put their phones down long enough to see the light is in fact green.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
All the things left that I want to mod on my GTI are really expensive, which means I'll probably keep coming up with little cheap things to do when I really should just budget for the big things...

What's left:
  1. Shocks/Struts. Stock ones are at the end of their life. (I'm still under CPO, so I could probably get stock replacements soon, but I don't want stockers. However..... free....). I'm not looking to lower the car or significantly stiffen the ride. Just looking for more ride polish and control. Something like Koni Special Actives or Bilstein B6 (leaning toward the Konis). Next sale that hits I might pull the trigger.
  2. Headlights. I want to get rid of that stock base mk7 ladybug look. Probably not worth ~$800 to me.
  3. Wheels. I like the stock Austins OK, so this isn't a high priority, but I would like a different look that isn't so flashy.
I think I'll probably get the most noticeable enjoyment and improvement out of #1, since I drive ~12k mi a year and autocross ~1x a month.

Other confession: Sometimes I drive too fast in the city when there aren't others around. This car is going to get me arrested.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
All the things left that I want to mod on my GTI are really expensive, which means I'll probably keep coming up with little cheap things to do when I really should just budget for the big things...

What's left:
  1. Shocks/Struts. Stock ones are at the end of their life. (I'm still under CPO, so I could probably get stock replacements soon, but I don't want stockers. However..... free....). I'm not looking to lower the car or significantly stiffen the ride. Just looking for more ride polish and control. Something like Koni Special Actives or Bilstein B6 (leaning toward the Konis). Next sale that hits I might pull the trigger.
  2. Headlights. I want to get rid of that stock base mk7 ladybug look. Probably not worth ~$800 to me.
  3. Wheels. I like the stock Austins OK, so this isn't a high priority, but I would like a different look that isn't so flashy.
I think I'll probably get the most noticeable enjoyment and improvement out of #1, since I drive ~12k mi a year and autocross ~1x a month.

Other confession: Sometimes I drive too fast in the city when there aren't others around. This car is going to get me arrested.

1. your CPO warranty will not / does not cover suspension parts, they are wear items like brakes. You’re much better off with B6/SA
2. Yeah upgrading headlights on base models sucks lol, the only good solution now that Ed/BEC is out of business is Osram, it is not an OEM replica but an aftermarket design. But Osram IS an OEM and their headlight replacements for halogen MK7’s are the highest quality offering on the market.
3. You can always sell your OEM wheels to recoup some of the cost of upgrading to better wheels. You can also look on the forums (here, VWVortex etc) for people selling their aftermarket sets. There’s always someone who either just bought a set and then changed their mind so they’re like literally brand new / unused and for a discount, or you can buy actually used ones from someone who’s taken good care of them and is offering a fair price.