GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yikes, glad it all worked out though. When I was younger, it was alot easier to stare death in the face everyday and narrowly miss it. Now, I piss myself everytime. I'll get a track dedicated bike in a year or two - luckily we have two nice tracks within 1-2 hours close to me: Grattan Raceway and GingerMan.

This was when I was 18, no helmet, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Luckily, I landed and slid on my back pack, didn't hit my head or get road rash.

My leg caught the fender on my way over the hood, which is what broke my leg.

And dude drove off too. Fucker.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
In a FWD car, I think 300hp is about perfect. Do stage 1, IC to keep it consistent. Good tires, RSB and you've got a fantastic car that will demolish every on ramp and back road you can throw at it.

We've all been down the path where go a bridge too far modding, so I get it, but my opinion is get an R and DSG if your going to play with hybrid turbos. I think it's just wasted on a GTI on the street, because to use that power, you're risking jail. At least with an R you can launch the car up to reasonably speeds and back off to get your thrills. 60 - 130 will get you 12 months suspended license. Ask me how I know.
If my GTI was a DeLorean, I would go back to Stage 1.

I'll leave the key under the mat and the light on for ya ;)

<- (looks under girlfriends mat for my key)

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Current confession: I'm not sure the hybrid turbo life is for me, and am considering a 2020 GLI Autobahn.

The car with this much power is an absolute blast to drive. When you do those 60 - 130 pulls, it's incredible, no doubt about that. Knowing you have the power to go "Peace tf out, yo!" to just about anybody on the highway is a good feeling to have.

But combine the fact that 1) I hardly ever use that power (which I've admitted before, that this turbo is a complete waste on me), and 2) I don't think I want to be constantly worrying about something. When you go down this path, you to accept that things will pop up. Started down it, fueling issues popped up. Sorted that out. Just going down an onramp the other day, EPC and limp mode for overboost pop up. Aight, fine. Knowing that these things happen is something I though I was ok with, but actually going through it now, I'm not sure I am.

I'm a sucker for features and technology (as well as somewhat reasonable power). I had thought about an S3, but getting one that would check the boxes I want, would be $40k - $45k. Which is more than I really feel like spending on a car. A 2020 GLI Autobahn is a nice compromise around the $30k mark. Toss a JB4 on there to avoid flashing the car, and I think that'd be fine. People always say "Yeah, you're fine until you want more!", except I've done down that path. I started with a JB4 on my GTI, it lasted a month before I flashed it. And now I know where that path leads...

Hell though. For all I know, I could go test drive one and go "This is boring as shit to drive." and realize I appreciate my car more than I thought lol.
Lesbian.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Current confession: I'm not sure the hybrid turbo life is for me, and am considering a 2020 GLI Autobahn.

The car with this much power is an absolute blast to drive. When you do those 60 - 130 pulls, it's incredible, no doubt about that. Knowing you have the power to go "Peace tf out, yo!" to just about anybody on the highway is a good feeling to have.

But combine the fact that 1) I hardly ever use that power (which I've admitted before, that this turbo is a complete waste on me), and 2) I don't think I want to be constantly worrying about something. When you go down this path, you to accept that things will pop up. Started down it, fueling issues popped up. Sorted that out. Just going down an onramp the other day, EPC and limp mode for overboost pop up. Aight, fine. Knowing that these things happen is something I though I was ok with, but actually going through it now, I'm not sure I am.

I'm a sucker for features and technology (as well as somewhat reasonable power). I had thought about an S3, but getting one that would check the boxes I want, would be $40k - $45k. Which is more than I really feel like spending on a car. A 2020 GLI Autobahn is a nice compromise around the $30k mark. Toss a JB4 on there to avoid flashing the car, and I think that'd be fine. People always say "Yeah, you're fine until you want more!", except I've done down that path. I started with a JB4 on my GTI, it lasted a month before I flashed it. And now I know where that path leads...

Hell though. For all I know, I could go test drive one and go "This is boring as shit to drive." and realize I appreciate my car more than I thought lol.
Is it really part out and sell and slide into a sedan that won't fit a grill, or is it go IS38 and sell Vortex, LPFP, etc? Just because you climbed the mountain and didn't want to hang out up top doesn't mean you can't setup camp a bit lower than the peak.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is it really part out and sell and slide into a sedan that won't fit a grill, or is it go IS38 and sell Vortex, LPFP, etc? Just because you climbed the mountain and didn't want to hang out up top doesn't mean you can't setup camp a bit lower than the peak.

He doesn't want to do another turbo swap. That's the real issue. lol

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Is it really part out and sell and slide into a sedan that won't fit a grill, or is it go IS38 and sell Vortex, LPFP, etc?
I don’t see what that will gain… if the concern is “new things pop up” then stop
Trying to push the vortex to max… dial
It back down to 28/29 psi and call it a day - car will work perfectly fine and still have some extra power over a is38.

Jon’s, problem was he gave into our peer pressure and upgraded all those things 😂 cause he just had to eat all the cake

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
And that's just it. Like, don't get me wrong. The power is amazing. But my car hardly ever sees above 85 - 90mph, where this thing really starts to shine. I have a buddy who lives his life with the motto "A hundred a day keeps the doctor away". And he means it. It'd be a perfect setup for him. Me, not so much.
People talk about 100 like that's fast. My cruise control is usually set to 100.