GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Started getting some N80 evap purge valve code and gas pump was shutting off early. Thought I had to replace something, turns out I'd just flipped my catch can baffle around while cleaning it.

Similar story helping a friend install a catch can the other day. Went to go start it up, runs rough, CEL, code for fuel something or other. Lo and behold, HPFP sensor came unplugged somehow.

Love simple (dumb) fixes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You work hard, you deserve it.

To be fair, she knows I bought it. She's seen me fondling it and eye fucking it in my office while waiting for my EQT base map.

She just doesn't know this leg of the endeavor was about $3k. If she did, I'd probably get told it's stupid and a waste of money lol. But I wouldn't lie to her, if she asked I'd tell her.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I would kill for a royal blue (specifically Superman blue) GTI

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
nice haha.

I’m on the waitlist for a Baun downpipe as well. Still stock clutch but I’ll deal with that when the time comes

edit: come to think of it, I did mention to her that Apex was having a sale soon. That’s forewarning.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
While I still have probably 18+ months left on my current wrap, I think my mind has been made up my next color will be 3M Satin Perfect Blue. Manufacturer says to expect 2 - 3 years, and while it's mostly out of direct sunlight, it does get parked outside. So I expect the Nardo Grey to last closer to the 2 years on that estimate. Someone else had posted their car wrapped in that color, and it looks amazing...

1634741999993.png

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
While I still have probably 18+ months left on my current wrap, I think my mind has been made up my next color will be 3M Satin Perfect Blue. Manufacturer says to expect 2 - 3 years, and while it's mostly out of direct sunlight, it does get parked outside. So I expect the Nardo Grey to last closer to the 2 years on that estimate. Someone else had posted their car wrapped in that color, and it looks amazing...

View attachment 228427
That does look nice - how much does it cost to get the car done?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
After 60k miles the trim around the shifter fucked up my finger. I know it was recalled in Canada, but it hasn't been extended to the US yet, correct?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That does look nice - how much does it cost to get the car done?

I paid $1400 for my current wrap. The guy I went to advertises a $1K Color Change, and when everything was said and done, ended up being $1,400. That was with his default CheetahWrap vinyl. 3M is a bit more expensive, so I'd expect a little bit more next time based on the materials alone. Add in a bit to remove the existing wrap when it's done, and I'd anticipate a quote to come back around $2,200 - $2,400. Haven't actually asked him though, since that's still around 18 months away lol.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I paid $1400 for my current wrap. The guy I went to advertises a $1K Color Change, and when everything was said and done, ended up being $1,400. That was with his default CheetahWrap vinyl. 3M is a bit more expensive, so I'd expect a little bit more next time based on the materials alone. Add in a bit to remove the existing wrap when it's done, and I'd anticipate a quote to come back around $2,200 - $2,400. Haven't actually asked him though, since that's still around 18 months away lol.
That's a decent chunk of change for something that lasts 2 years?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Putting my car away for the winter next month. I've driven it less than 2500 miles since last August (stored from November-April) so I really should be selling it but if I do I don't trust my wife to ever agree to another "fun" car since we just had our first kid. Between the 650 a month payment and 100 a bucks to insure, its a lot of money for something that sits, but I'm selfish.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That's a decent chunk of change for something that lasts 2 years?

The satisfaction I get every time I look at my car is priceless.

But yeah. I get what you're saying. I try not to think about any of the money I dump into my car lol.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The satisfaction I get every time I look at my car is priceless.

But yeah. I get what you're saying. I try not to think about any of the money I dump into my car lol.
It's actually not much more money than a ceramic coating and those only last a few years. Think of it as cool looking paint protection.