GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you drive a GLI, but identify as a GTI driver, it's okay

It's weird.

On one hand, I really don't care what anyone, either on the internet or real life, thinks about me or my choices. I mean, my wife, but that's about it.

On the other hand, if I did\had got rid of the GTI, I'd miss that feeling of being in a special kind of club almost. Like, I've had conversations with other random GTI drivers in parking lots, stores, etc... Just when out and about. Much to my wife's dismay. She called me a nerd. But like, nobody wants to talk to a GLI driver...

Edit: I will say, I'm basing that on the fact that I've never given someone in a GLI a second look. Usually when I see another GTI they get the wave, but GLI's don't even get the time of day from me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
As long as you don't drive a DSG and identify as a manual driver.

If I push my shifter to the right, I can use it to change gears. I'm practically a manual driver...

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
It's weird.

On one hand, I really don't care what anyone, either on the internet or real life, thinks about me or my choices. I mean, my wife, but that's about it.

On the other hand, if I did\had got rid of the GTI, I'd miss that feeling of being in a special kind of club almost. Like, I've had conversations with other random GTI drivers in parking lots, stores, etc... Just when out and about. Much to my wife's dismay. She called me a nerd. But like, nobody wants to talk to a GLI driver...

Edit: I will say, I'm basing that on the fact that I've never given someone in a GLI a second look. Usually when I see another GTI they get the wave, but GLI's don't even get the time of day from me.

Is it really a “special” club though? I mean I see tons of GTIs daily. I probably pass at least a few on my commute every day. It’s not exactly a niche car. I think the GLI is more “special” cause you hardly see any of them. I probably pass at least three to five GTIs on my daily commute and zero GLIs.

I’d personally prefer that no one look at me or talk to me in real life. I hate those awkward “hey nice car” moments lol. So hopefully the GLI helps me avoid those since they’ll see me and just think “oh he’s a lesbian.”

Not sure I understand the hate for GLIs though. It’s basically a GTI. I’ve always preferred the look of a sedan to a hatchback myself. I’ve now owned three GTIs and five Jettas (two of them GLIs), and the Jetta always looked a little better, IMO.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I owned 2 gens of gli’s before I got this GTI… and yes while it’s all a joke and quite meaningless and silly - there is just something special about a gti and it’s heritage for me.. after many many years of saying and telling myself “it’s just the same as a gti but a sedan” but always knowing I wanted the GTI cause it’s just got this special feel for me with looks history and heritage.

And while yeah the mk4 gli and mk6 gli look great to me… the newest Jetta/gli Ford Fusion edition just ain’t it for me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A23502A6-7140-4EA1-A549-2C1856A5A526.jpeg

I’m currently quoting work on the OG underrated four door sedan, the R33 GTS (RB25).

I don’t get the GLI hate, they always get the best of the best vs GTI in every generation. Maybe I’m bias since I have both lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My other favorite is "it's not an automatic because it has a clutch"

When you're that defensive about your transmission choice...

It's an automatic FFS. A DSG is a type of automatic transmission.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Is it really a “special” club though? I mean I see tons of GTIs daily. I probably pass at least a few on my commute every day. It’s not exactly a niche car. I think the GLI is more “special” cause you hardly see any of them. I probably pass at least three to five GTIs on my daily commute and zero GLIs.

I’d personally prefer that no one look at me or talk to me in real life. I hate those awkward “hey nice car” moments lol. So hopefully the GLI helps me avoid those since they’ll see me and just think “oh he’s a lesbian.”

Not sure I understand the hate for GLIs though. It’s basically a GTI. I’ve always preferred the look of a sedan to a hatchback myself. I’ve now owned three GTIs and five Jettas (two of them GLIs), and the Jetta always looked a little better, IMO.

Sounds like a big dose of denial 🤣

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Sounds like a big dose of denial 🤣
I wouldn’t call it denial exactly. I’ve been to car shows and there are always countless MK7/7.5 GTIs there. Hardly ever any Jettas or GLIs though. IMO, the GLI is the more “special” car. I don’t miss my GTI at all. Maybe it’s just cause this Autobahn is “fully loaded”, but overall it feels much nicer than my GTI ever did.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I wouldn’t call it denial exactly. I’ve been to car shows and there are always countless MK7/7.5 GTIs there. Hardly ever any Jettas or GLIs though. IMO, the GLI is the more “special” car. I don’t miss my GTI at all. Maybe it’s just cause this Autobahn is “fully loaded”, but overall it feels much nicer than my GTI ever did.

The GLI Autobahn I test drove definitely felt much nicer than my GTI, that was a large factor in considering getting it.

I agree, I never got the "hate" for the GLI, or why they're so looked down upon. It's very similar to the GTI, just without that "original hot hatch" legacy.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The GLI Autobahn I test drove definitely felt much nicer than my GTI, that was a large factor in considering getting it.

I agree, I never got the "hate" for the GLI, or why they're so looked down upon. It's very similar to the GTI, just without that "original hot hatch" legacy.
I always thought it had a pretty good reputation up until the previous gen, when it soldiered on with mk6 GTI mechanicals well into mk7 GTI availability, making it the inferior car for several years.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
View attachment 235890

I’m currently quoting work on the OG underrated four door sedan, the R33 GTS (RB25).

I don’t get the GLI hate, they always get the best of the best vs GTI in every generation. Maybe I’m bias since I have both lol
Are you creating an exhaust for the rb25?

Everyone is all about the 26 but the 25 makes plenty of power.....and makes a noise to boot.

Please post many videos.