GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Been driving the car for the last 2-3 months with still only installing the driverside side skirt…

You could put two different wheels on each side, it'd be like you own two different cars. It's not like you can see both sides at the same time.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Noticeably better power and better feeling tune all around. My main gripe with Uni was its tendency to race to 6th.
I can't imagine that, I've never even been able to wind 4th all the way out with uni 1+ before chickening out haha

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
At the risk of opening this can of worms....

Why do people dislike ECS?
the tool brand is just some rebranded wholesale garbage. Can't speak for their fabricated stuff.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
41k miles.

Stock tune, I actually have the uni-cable but I never used it since...I'm lazy?

I do enjoy my car as is though, I've never driven a really fast car so the GTI stays feeling quick to me unless it's 90(f) degrees out.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That sounds like a DSG thing. In terms of the ECU tune - that much better as well?
Yes. Noticeably more torque with EQT… EQT boosts to a quick peak at 29 and then tapers to around 26 and I believe the Uni tune tops around 22PSI but don’t quote me on that.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I can't imagine that, I've never even been able to wind 4th all the way out with uni 1+ before chickening out haha
I think you might have misunderstood my use of the word “race” there. I meant in normal driving situations, I’d find myself in 6th gear at 47-48 MPH and well under 2k RPM. That’s not a very fun place to be.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
That sounds like a DSG thing. In terms of the ECU tune - that much better as well?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better......hard to put into words, but Uni basically did nothing. EQT was so noticeable it was laughable.

Yes. Noticeably more torque with EQT… EQT boosts to a quick peak at 29 and then tapers to around 26 and I believe the Uni tune tops around 22PSI but don’t quote me on that.
Shifts are where they are supposed to be

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I bought it as a daily (traded in my old daily) so I could continue working on my never ending Mk3 project.

Thinking about buying a beater daily to make the Mk7 another project/fun car.

I am not in control.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I only remember to downshift to pass other vehicles 50% of the time. The other 50% I slam my foot down in 6th.
Put an open air intake on your car. After it screams screaming boost cut to avoid knock to you 2-3 times, that'll fix your bad habit.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I bought some nice metal replacement shifter paddles with the hopes that they'd offer better reach when shifting with them (and they did), but I ended up preferring the more satisfying click that the stock plastic ones offer so I switched back to stock.

I'm also disappointed in how lethargic the 7-speed DSG feels, in Drive at least. There's a truly impressive (and not in a good way at all) delay with downshifts when mashing the throttle from a roll. This has gotten me into some trouble as I approach roundabouts because there are times I'll see it's okay to proceed (if I can scoot through quickly), but then the sluggish downshift would bite me because the transmission is taking its sweet time when I expected to be accelerating more quickly again. I'm more careful with roundabouts now because of this or I manually shift as I approach. Makes me miss my manual MK6. Sport and manual modes are otherwise pretty good.

Truly first world problems.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I bought some nice metal replacement shifter paddles with the hopes that they'd offer better reach when shifting with them (and they did), but I ended up preferring the more satisfying click that the stock plastic ones offer so I switched back to stock.

I'm also disappointed in how lethargic the 7-speed DSG feels, in Drive at least. There's a truly impressive (and not in a good way at all) delay with downshifts when mashing the throttle from a roll. This has gotten me into some trouble as I approach roundabouts because there are times I'll see it's okay to proceed (if I can scoot through quickly), but then the sluggish downshift would bite me because the transmission is taking its sweet time when I expected to be accelerating more quickly again. I'm more careful with roundabouts now because of this or I manually shift as I approach. Makes me miss my manual MK6. Sport and manual modes are otherwise pretty good.

Truly first world problems.

My 6 speed DSG feels the same way. I pretty much make it a habit by putting the shifter into S when I get onto the freeway or need to make a sketchy pass. If I leave it in D and try to make a quick pass...sometimes the car will just bog down. If I switch to S...it'll move when I want it to. I leave my trans in D 99% of the time...but when I want to merge or pass...then I'll put it in S.