GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Clutch Problems

AsianInaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Hey Guys,

I've searched around quite a bit and couldn't find anyone talking about the issue I'm experiencing so I'm sorry if this is a repeated post. I'm looking at a few clutch kits but don't want to purchase without being sure I'm going to fix my problem.

I have an mk7 gti 6mt I think the last owner really beat on the car and I have had this problem for a while now but it is getting worse.

When I get on it in first and shift into second I get it into gear and hit it, the car doesn't feel like it actually gets into second. i lose all power and am only getting high RPMs, I get power back when I put the clutch back in let the RPMs go back down and then go.

Is this a common problem and what is the cause?

Thanks!

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
It's either clutch slip with the high rpms, and torque limit with the sudden loss of power going in to 2nd. Find a steep hill and drive up it in forth or fifth and floor it to see if it's slipping.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep, sounds like a slipping clutch. Like Mel said, you can test this by going low RPM in high gear and see if the RPMs jump without actually going anywhere.

Do you have a tune or is it stock?

AsianInaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Yeah it was tuned to stage 1 in June, would it just be a full replacement for the clutch then? cylinder, wheel, and so on? I just want to make sure, I can rebuild an engine but can't even touch a transmission :D

Dr.Bora

Passed Driver's Ed
both of the previous post are things you don't want to do to prevent premature clutch wear and possible damage to other components. in doing that you put a lot of strain on the engine. do it above 2500 in third. these being direct injected engines you don't want to do full throttle at lower rpms in higher gears.

http://pceo.com/GDI_and_Turbocharging_Rinek

Bigsnoop144

Ready to race!
so im looking not to spend a fortune on a clutch, is it necessary to change the flywheel? i have 10k on my clutcb, not my first manual an ive yet to dig the car. however have been stage 1.5/2 since 500 miles.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
so im looking not to spend a fortune on a clutch, is it necessary to change the flywheel? i have 10k on my clutcb, not my first manual an ive yet to dig the car. however have been stage 1.5/2 since 500 miles.

Chances are that you won't have to, but you will never be sure until you open it up, if your clutch was slipping for a while there is a chance that you need a new one but is not always the case, note that dual mass FW are not recommended designed to be resurfaced , even if someone says that they did it , is not a good idea, if you are going to single mass then you will need a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
You will need to make sure the stock DMF's elastic section is not damaged (between the two masses), and that the DMF is not warped (measured with a tool, not your best guess) if you are going to re use it. Even then, some clutch manufacturers have now recommended only using a new one with a clutch swap.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
+1 I only have about 8k on mine, but decided to change it once it starts to slip. When I do, I'll either go SMFW or replace the DMFW.. do it once do it right :)

You're really just guessing with the flywheel. One person changed the clutch himself and went back in later and changed the flywheel. It turns out that it still didn't need to be changed (iirc) but it's better to have that piece of mind in case something does come up

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 2k on my car but fingers crossed the stock DMFW is still fine. Trying to get my Sache SRE setup going real soon.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have 2k on my car but fingers crossed the stock DMFW is still fine. Trying to get my Sache SRE setup going real soon.

You'll be ok, the DMFW could have a bit of play and that's just they way it works as long is not excessive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk