GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

traan.man48

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Have you tried doing the A/C run in adaption in OBD11?
I tried, it says "Function Cancelled. Marginal conditions have not been met."
I should mention I'm doing the AC run-in with the engine iding, in park. Not sure if that makes a difference at all.

I also tried the flaps adaption via OBD11 and it performs successfully.

traan.man48

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I tried, it says "Function Cancelled. Marginal conditions have not been met."
I should mention I'm doing the AC run-in with the engine iding, in park. Not sure if that makes a difference at all.

I also tried the flaps adaption via OBD11 and it performs successfully.
I figured it out. I had a revision "C" HVAC controller unit before...I sourced a newer "P" revision from a wrecked Jetta and it seems to be working perfectly. I didn't have to perform the flaps adaption or AC calibration.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
@carbon_gecko Curious how you or others wired up the sunlight sensor. Is the plug or harness available as a separate item?

I found this on AliExpress — it's cheap enough that I might try it as an alternative to the VW part through normal channels:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33036312652.html

Thanks.
So I got the harness from aliexpress, I bought the legit sensor from vw, the model number from aliexpress wasn't compatible with US Mk7 golf

robi77

Car(s)
ve golf r2019
Tengo un SE 2016 con MIB2 (no Nav), y simplemente apareció, no es necesario codificar. Puede ver qué unidad instalé, que es el mismo procedimiento que la unidad Autobahn \ R en este hilo. Simplemente presione el botón 'Menú', aparecerá esa pantalla.

View attachment 196599

Sí, se sienta al ras, igual que la otra unidad.

View attachment 196601

View attachment 196602

Siguió los pasos de esta guía, que funcionó muy bien. La instalación de la unidad en sí es un trabajo de 15 minutos. La parte más difícil es conseguir que el compartimento de almacenamiento vuelva a entrar (hasta ahora). Todavía no he activado los sensores, ambos están colgando en el espacio para los pies, así que no espero que el control de clima automático funcione de maravilla todavía. Tengo el coche de un amigo en mi garaje, y hacía mucho frío sentarse en el camino de entrada y pasar los cables.
Por favor necesito ayuda. He comprado el clima tactil para mi golf con pantalla 9.2 y mi pregunta es si tengo que codificarlo y como
gracias

robi77

Car(s)
ve golf r2019
Por favor necesito ayuda. He comprado el clima tactil para mi golf con pantalla 9.2 y mi pregunta es si tengo que codificarlo y como
gracias
A2663837-CF9F-4739-9951-8E5E32BFD3E8.png

Attachments

• 7F01B759-F045-45E8-A284-8641C2949666.png
    7F01B759-F045-45E8-A284-8641C2949666.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 192

Aaron1875

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
I struggled to find instructions for the Climatronic upgrade to go from the basic heater controls to the Climatronic (dual control), so decided to make my own How-To.

This is a fairly simple install, BUT you have to remove some dashboard stuff and it's not particularly difficult, it looks a mess but to try and do it any other way is just stressful and I wasted at least 2 hours trying to fiddle cables in where they didn't want to go. So;

You need to buy a replacement heater control panel AND it must come with the adapter cable, and 2x replacement air temperature sensors G150 and G192. You can't simply get a control panel from a dual zone car and plug it in, expecting it to work. I bought mine from Aliexpress, it took a couple of weeks to arrive, looks genuine (not sure if it is) and the quality seems spot on. The instructions seem to be in chinese, but you don't really need them.
The one I bought was this;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000959269245.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f4f4c4d9AoeWQ
View attachment 189516

Step 1, remove the side panels, they simply pop out, use panel removal tools if available, or something like a screwdriver if you don't have panel tools. There's another piece of trim that follwos the shape of the door shut in front, remove that too. This picture shows the position of the thermal sensor as installed, you won't have this, instead there will be a rubber bung pressed into the hole.
View attachment 189514

Pop out the heater vent by pushing on it from the back,
View attachment 189518

Remove the existing heater panel trim by first opening the cubby at the bottom and pulling up on the trim from the lower edge, it will pop off. Next remove the panel around the infotainment unit and upper vents, again it's just clipped in place, but be careful not to snap any clips or the panel itself, ease it away with a trim tool all the way around. Sorry this pic shows multiple steps complete but you get the idea...
View attachment 189525

Remove the infotainment screen, small metal clips top and bottom just need to be pushed to the side and it will just fall out. a small terminal screwdriver is ideal here. The heater panel also comes out by pulling on 4x 'mushroom' topped clips that pull towards you and then stop, this releases the panel when they are all pulled out. Don't pull so hard that they snap out.
View attachment 189521View attachment 189522

Remove the trim below the cluster, pulls towards the driver and unclips, but won't come out all the way. Drop the steering wheel as far down as possible and lock it into place. Remove the 2x T20 Torx screws that are visible behind.
View attachment 189519

Remove the cluster by pulling towards you. Again this just clips out, but is attached by a cable, you can get this far enough forward to get your hand behind it for the cable install, but if you want to remove it completely then disconnect the battery to be safe.
View attachment 189520

Part 2 to follow...
Bless you for this write up ! Tackled this job today along with the dual Climatronic loom upgrade !

robi77

Car(s)
ve golf r2019
Bless you for this write up ! Tackled this job today along with the dual Climatronic loom upgrade !
thank u so much but i just have climatronic. i only change it for digital one.i would know how can i code it with obd11 or vcds

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Great info in this thread. I upgraded my Mk7.5 Golf wagon a few weeks back. I sourced a used Climatronic panel on eBay and the harness from Aliexpress. The facelift wagons (2018-19 in the U.S.) have Polar Night dash trim panels, and it took a while to get one in from a dealer. And was the most expensive piece of the upgrade. That PN is 5GM863042EUO.

I also bought a sun sensor on Aliexpress. It appeared to be used(!). I couldn't find a wiring harness for it, so I made one. I had Dupont-style connector (i.e., 2.54mm spacing) housings and connectors on hand, so it was easy. I tested on the bench with a multimeter and in the car with VCDS. I don't have an easy way to confirm the W/m2 output from VCDS, but hey, it seems to work. I tied the right and left signal pins together since there's only one zone.

I also reviewed the Long Coding options in VCDS. Several things weren't set right, plus I enabled the option to select the relative fan speed in Auto (aka climate control profiles). A big improvement for me.

Aaron1875

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
Great info in this thread. I upgraded my Mk7.5 Golf wagon a few weeks back. I sourced a used Climatronic panel on eBay and the harness from Aliexpress. The facelift wagons (2018-19 in the U.S.) have Polar Night dash trim panels, and it took a while to get one in from a dealer. And was the most expensive piece of the upgrade. That PN is 5GM863042EUO.

I also bought a sun sensor on Aliexpress. It appeared to be used(!). I couldn't find a wiring harness for it, so I made one. I had Dupont-style connector (i.e., 2.54mm spacing) housings and connectors on hand, so it was easy. I tested on the bench with a multimeter and in the car with VCDS. I don't have an easy way to confirm the W/m2 output from VCDS, but hey, it seems to work. I tied the right and left signal pins together since there's only one zone.

I also reviewed the Long Coding options in VCDS. Several things weren't set right, plus I enabled the option to select the relative fan speed in Auto (aka climate control profiles). A big improvement for me.

The sun sensor, is that located next to the rear view mirror ? bcos i have one of those mounted on windscreen. If that is the case, I take it the wiring for sun sensor is already wired into my existing vehicle heating HVAC loom ?
forgive my ignorance what’s the sun sensor for ? Does it assist in adjusting Auto Climate ?

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
The sun sensor, is that located next to the rear view mirror ? bcos i have one of those mounted on windscreen. If that is the case, I take it the wiring for sun sensor is already wired into my existing vehicle heating HVAC loom ?
forgive my ignorance what’s the sun sensor for ? Does it assist in adjusting Auto Climate ?
The sun sensor is located in between the defrost vents on the top of the dash. The sensors next to the rearview mirror are for auto headlights and auto wipers. On non-Climatronic cars there's a blank between the vents that looks the same as the actual sensor. (Well, technically the sensor snaps into a cap; mine came assembled.)

The sun sensor changes the fan speed (and probably temp, too) in response to the sun's radiation. In my other current and past cars with climate control it makes a significant difference in comfort to have that compensation. This time of year we don't have a lot of days that really call for it in the Mid-Atlantic U.S., but hoping it does the trick once we're back into the heat.

Birdie

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GT
I¨ve been following this thread for some months with interest , however I think It is possible to go a step further and have the climatronic system working as factory OEM. The basic AC and Climatronic units share the same basic module / airbox , the only difference is that the two additional motors for the recirculation control are not fitted to the basic AC unit, the flaps are however still present. Therefore, if the missing motors are fitted it should be possible to have the system working identically to the climatronic from factory. Golf 7 ac pic below is the standard AC unit ( note all 4 diverter flaps are fitted ) Pic Golf Clima1 is from a GTD with Climatronic , note there are two servo motors on the right hand side of the picture and the temp sensor probe in the duct. Pic Golf ac6 is the same end but upside down view from the standard AC unit, note the fixing holes are present but servo motor and duct probe are missing. I think its worth a shot to retro fit the missing servo motors, sunlight sensor and air quality sensor along with the additional zone temperature sensors and give it a go.
Note the clima unit is from a LHD car the AC is from a RHD, hence they are handed differently but the principle is the same.

Attachments

• golf 7 ac 1.jpg
    golf 7 ac 1.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 214
  • golf clima1.jpg
    golf clima1.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 208
  • golf ac6.jpg
    golf ac6.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 208
  • golf clima3.jpg
    golf clima3.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
I¨ve been following this thread for some months with interest , however I think It is possible to go a step further and have the climatronic system working as factory OEM. The basic AC and Climatronic units share the same basic module / airbox , the only difference is that the two additional motors for the recirculation control are not fitted to the basic AC unit, the flaps are however still present. Therefore, if the missing motors are fitted it should be possible to have the system working identically to the climatronic from factory. Golf 7 ac pic below is the standard AC unit ( note all 4 diverter flaps are fitted ) Pic Golf Clima1 is from a GTD with Climatronic , note there are two servo motors on the right hand side of the picture and the temp sensor probe in the duct. Pic Golf ac6 is the same end but upside down view from the standard AC unit, note the fixing holes are present but servo motor and duct probe are missing. I think its worth a shot to retro fit the missing servo motors, sunlight sensor and air quality sensor along with the additional zone temperature sensors and give it a go.
Note the clima unit is from a LHD car the AC is from a RHD, hence they are handed differently but the principle is the same.
I look forward to seeing how this goes. My guess is that you're talking about a huge increase in labor and parts cost over the relatively cheap and quick single-zone upgrade. But I love to see other enthusiasts figuring out how to improve their cars!

Incidentally, the air quality sensor can be disabled via long coding in VCDS. I did that on mine because it's not useful enough to me to considering adding the sensor.

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
that's why i changed completely the unit :)

Attachments

• 80bcb004-7f8b-42c2-8035-49bcafc34844.jpg
    80bcb004-7f8b-42c2-8035-49bcafc34844.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 228