GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
The Diagrams will include all optional equipment wiring as well. They're generally marked with * in the diagrams and a note about region/option. So the wiring diagram for a fully loaded model and a base model is the same.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
What's the part number of your panel? My stop/start is working fine with AC on (and off) with only the two upper vents connected.

Happy to compare my installation with yours to get to the bottom of the problem.

Hi IWMTom, that would be great, I see you're local to me as well.

Ok, so the first panel I tried was the cheap Aliexpress one, which was 51G907044G. My copy of VCDS couldn't seem to find any label files etc for that and I couldn't get access to it, so I bought a used one on eBay which is 5G0907044BD. VCDS now finds the panel just fine and I can get access to measurement values which I couldn't with the previous one.

2 Questions, if you have VCDS can you tell me what your coding options are, and if you click on the vehicle status on the infotainment unit, what does it say under the start-stop status?

I ask about the S-S status because mine seems to constantly say something along the lines of "Windscreen could become fogged" and "A/C requires the engine to be running". If I turn off the climate system completely then the S-S starts working again so it's definitely something to do with the A/C stopping it from working.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi IWMTom, that would be great, I see you're local to me as well.

Ok, so the first panel I tried was the cheap Aliexpress one, which was 51G907044G. My copy of VCDS couldn't seem to find any label files etc for that and I couldn't get access to it, so I bought a used one on eBay which is 5G0907044BD. VCDS now finds the panel just fine and I can get access to measurement values which I couldn't with the previous one.

2 Questions, if you have VCDS can you tell me what your coding options are, and if you click on the vehicle status on the infotainment unit, what does it say under the start-stop status?

I ask about the S-S status because mine seems to constantly say something along the lines of "Windscreen could become fogged" and "A/C requires the engine to be running". If I turn off the climate system completely then the S-S starts working again so it's definitely something to do with the A/C stopping it from working.

I'll begin with a sidenote - I did have the stop/start problem on a previous panel, but turning A/C off did allow the car to stop (just A/C, not the whole Climatronic unit). I've since installed another Climatronic unit as a result of obtaining heated seats, and I needed the buttons. This new panel has no issues, despite the coding string being the same (or at least I think it was the same... I swear I just copied it from panel to panel..)

Snippet of autoscan containing part numbers, coding strings, and faults:

Code:
Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255)       Labels:| 5G0-907-044.clb
   Part No SW: 5G0 907 044 CF    HW: 5G0 907 044 CF
   Component: Climatronic   H04 1801 
   Revision: 00001K08   
   Coding: 0012010420210001110000400010102A
   Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
   ASAM Dataset: EV_ACClimaBHBVW37X 006145
   ROD: EV_ACClimaBHBVW37X_006_VW37.rod
   VCID: 6D84C1825D1252B3895-8038

Fresh Air Blower Front:

Geber für Kältemitteldruck/Kältemitteltemperatur:

6 Faults Found:
328199 - Position Sensor for Right Temperature Flap Motor
          B1095 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 13
                    Reset counter: 9
                    Mileage: 92442 km
                    Date: 2020.11.03
                    Time: 12:44:46

Voltage terminal 30: 11.3 V
                    Outside air temperature: 8.0 °C
                    Interior temperature: 20.9 °C
                    Right temperature flap: actual value: 0.0 %
                    Right temperature flap: actual value: 238
                    Right temperature flap: specified value: 203

329991 - Position Sensor for Defrost Flap Motor
          B1098 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:

Defroster flap: actual value: 0.0 %
                    Defroster flap: actual value: 17
                    Defroster flap: specified value: 13

329479 - Position Sensor for Fresh/Recirculated Flap Motor
          B109B 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 8

Actual value for fresh air/recirculation air flow flap: 0.0 %
                    Actual value for fresh air/recirculation air flow flap: 93
                    Specified value for fresh air/recirc air flow flap: 93

196866 - Temperature Sensor for Footwell Vent
          B1085 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 8

Vehicle speed: 0 km/h

262402 - Sunlight Photo Sensor
          B10E8 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:

262404 - Sunlight Photo Sensor
          B10E8 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:

I appreciate coding strings may not be universal between control units, so I've taken the liberty of screenshotting each byte from the Long Coding Helper, as well as obtaining an adaptation and block map. Due to the forum restricting uploads to 10 files, I've added the files to a Google Drive folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1l2z2H69P8EqqzsEVzptRyhlkp_fGge7h?usp=sharing

If you'd like anything further, feel free to ask!

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
IWMTom That's great, thank you for going to those lengths to help out, The symptom of SS working when you turn off the A/C was exactly where I was at with the Aliexpess panel, at present I can't remember if it's the same with the used Golf one, but I think it might be.

Ok, so I've just been out sitting in the car in my jim-jams idling the engine and looking at the coding.

As I suspected the coding was set to have an internal humidity sensor active, as far as I know I don't have one so I deactivated this and it got rid of one of the items listed on the SS status screen, which was "Windscreen could become fogged". However it still said "A/C requires engine to be running". This led me to try and run the A/C compressor run in again, which would not work, just faults out with a 'sequence' error, even after running the Flap endstops adaption. This can also be done by pressing the demister button and the A/C together but this didn't work either.

So.... I took it for a drive round the block, sure enough the SS wasn't working still, even if I turn off the A/C I still have the "A/C requires engine to be running" message, only if I turn off the Climatronic completely does the engine stop. Turn it back on and engine starts again. So I got back to my driveway, clima and A/C on, and was just about to give up when the A/C message disappeared, but the engine was still running. So I poked the SS on/off button and it went to deactivated, then poked it again and the engine stopped(!).

I tried this a couple of times and it seemed to work ok while stationary, my journey tomorrow commuting to work will prove whether this is just a fluke or if it's something that just needed to reset to start working again.

I'll report back my findings tomorrow.

Also; in your scan above, I can see you have the error messages similar to what I have, for things like the defrost and RHS flap which are to be expected, but you have an error for the Fresh/Recirc flap, did you run the flaps adaption? (or from the front panel).

I'd quite like to sort out the temp sensor errors on mine, so will try to get some more sensors and plug pins, same goes for the sunlight sensors.

Thank you for your help :)
Dave.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
IWMTom That's great, thank you for going to those lengths to help out, The symptom of SS working when you turn off the A/C was exactly where I was at with the Aliexpess panel, at present I can't remember if it's the same with the used Golf one, but I think it might be.

Ok, so I've just been out sitting in the car in my jim-jams idling the engine and looking at the coding.

As I suspected the coding was set to have an internal humidity sensor active, as far as I know I don't have one so I deactivated this and it got rid of one of the items listed on the SS status screen, which was "Windscreen could become fogged". However it still said "A/C requires engine to be running". This led me to try and run the A/C compressor run in again, which would not work, just faults out with a 'sequence' error, even after running the Flap endstops adaption. This can also be done by pressing the demister button and the A/C together but this didn't work either.

So.... I took it for a drive round the block, sure enough the SS wasn't working still, even if I turn off the A/C I still have the "A/C requires engine to be running" message, only if I turn off the Climatronic completely does the engine stop. Turn it back on and engine starts again. So I got back to my driveway, clima and A/C on, and was just about to give up when the A/C message disappeared, but the engine was still running. So I poked the SS on/off button and it went to deactivated, then poked it again and the engine stopped(!).

I tried this a couple of times and it seemed to work ok while stationary, my journey tomorrow commuting to work will prove whether this is just a fluke or if it's something that just needed to reset to start working again.

I'll report back my findings tomorrow.

Also; in your scan above, I can see you have the error messages similar to what I have, for things like the defrost and RHS flap which are to be expected, but you have an error for the Fresh/Recirc flap, did you run the flaps adaption? (or from the front panel).

I'd quite like to sort out the temp sensor errors on mine, so will try to get some more sensors and plug pins, same goes for the sunlight sensors.

Thank you for your help :)
Dave.
Sounds promising!

I haven't ran any adaptations as the panel was used so the AC worked plug and play. Does this flap adaptation have any tangible benefit? As far as I can tell it all seems to be working correctly!

Have you compared my adaptation map to yours? There could be something lingering in there that could help you.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Sounds promising!

I haven't ran any adaptations as the panel was used so the AC worked plug and play. Does this flap adaptation have any tangible benefit? As far as I can tell it all seems to be working correctly!

Have you compared my adaptation map to yours? There could be something lingering in there that could help you.

In all honesty it probably doesn't make a massive amount of difference to the basic operation, it basically just tells the Clima unit exactly where the end stops will be, I guess it will prevent the motor from stripping any of the plastic internal gears if you press a button which makes it open/close really quickly.

It won't affect anything adversely and takes about a minute to do, just press and hold the A/C button and the demist/top vent button on the top row until the LEDs on those buttons start flashing, they'll stop once complete.

I've not actually compared the adaption map, in fact I'm not sure how to take an adaption map from my car? what I do know is my old copy of VCDS doesn't seem to want to load the adaptions module unless it's on the very first run on each session, so there's no guarantee it will work anyway :-/

Regards, Dave.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
In all honesty it probably doesn't make a massive amount of difference to the basic operation, it basically just tells the Clima unit exactly where the end stops will be, I guess it will prevent the motor from stripping any of the plastic internal gears if you press a button which makes it open/close really quickly.

It won't affect anything adversely and takes about a minute to do, just press and hold the A/C button and the demist/top vent button on the top row until the LEDs on those buttons start flashing, they'll stop once complete.

I've not actually compared the adaption map, in fact I'm not sure how to take an adaption map from my car? what I do know is my old copy of VCDS doesn't seem to want to load the adaptions module unless it's on the very first run on each session, so there's no guarantee it will work anyway :-/

Regards, Dave.
Thanks, you learn something new every day! I'll do that at some point.. one less fault code!

From the VCDS home screen I think it's Applications then Controller Channel Map, input the hex code of the Auto HVAC module and set to CSV.

How old is your VCDS?

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Thanks, you learn something new every day! I'll do that at some point.. one less fault code!

From the VCDS home screen I think it's Applications then Controller Channel Map, input the hex code of the Auto HVAC module and set to CSV.

How old is your VCDS?

Ah cool, I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can do a channel map as you suggest.

I think the version I'm using is V17 or something, I'd have to look on my laptop tomorrow when I get back from work.

Cheers, Dave.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Ah cool, I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can do a channel map as you suggest.

I think the version I'm using is V17 or something, I'd have to look on my laptop tomorrow when I get back from work.

Cheers, Dave.
Is it a legit copy, or one of those dodgy Chinese clones for £20 on fleebay?

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Is it a legit copy, or one of those dodgy Chinese clones for £20 on fleebay?

That's a very good question which I'm afraid and not quite sure how to answer, as I paid a LOT for it at the time :-/ Cable is branded with all the rosstech logo's and details etc, comes up with rosstech design etc when you initially check the connection.

How can I tell if it's legit?

Cheers.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
That's a very good question which I'm afraid and not quite sure how to answer, as I paid a LOT for it at the time :-/ Cable is branded with all the rosstech logo's and details etc, comes up with rosstech design etc when you initially check the connection.

How can I tell if it's legit?

Cheers.
Did you register it with RossTech and gain access to the forum? If so, it's legit.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you have an older Hex+CAN model Rosstech cable, you might not be able to access or code some features on the MQB model cars. This is why they upgraded to their Hex+Net and HexV2 cables, due to a change in string length.

Not sure if you're running into that issue. They do have an upgrade program though if you have an older model and want the v2.