GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 big turbo mpi dyno number/reliability

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
we are running aem 5 bar on maestro. runs perfectly. i believe wy2slo has harnesses for sale. keeps the factory 3 bar in place for iat reasons and reads pressures from the 5 bar, just like the apr turbo kit setup.
to recap. run the bosch 4 bar in the throttle pipe. run this harness and 5 bar. Zero issues. you just need some sort of boost tap to run a vacuum line to the 5 bar.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
we are running aem 5 bar on maestro. runs perfectly. i believe wy2slo has harnesses for sale. keeps the factory 3 bar in place for iat reasons and reads pressures from the 5 bar, just like the apr turbo kit setup.
to recap. run the bosch 4 bar in the throttle pipe. run this harness and 5 bar. Zero issues. you just need some sort of boost tap to run a vacuum line to the 5 bar.
For the boost tap, if you already have a tap into the manifold i.e apr you could just run a T in the vacuum line for the 5bar

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

H22hatch

Ready to race!
No Need, But I these issues never seemed to be prevalent until after PR released those sensors. Could be wrong, ill have to do a little digging. ;)

Holt, UM doesn’t sell the sensors anymore. Talked to Fred last week and he told me to buy the PR kit.

What is your 5bar setup like? Is it the same as what these guys mentioned? Still has the 3bar?

If that is the case I take back everything I said and apologize.

I am just talking about the VW Bosch 4 Bar 059/060 sensor which is rated from 0.5-4.0 bar (gasoline engines need to be linear to 0.2 bar).

Wy2sl0, are you in fact selling the the harness to utilize the 5bar? I’m on UM but I’m assuming they can still use it? Is it basically the same harness as the APR kit?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Holt, UM doesn’t sell the sensors anymore. Talked to Fred last week and he told me to buy the PR kit.

What is your 5bar setup like? Is it the same as what these guys mentioned? Still has the 3bar?

Wy2sl0, are you in fact selling the the harness to utilize the 5bar? I’m on UM but I’m assuming they can still use it? Is it basically the same harness as the APR kit?

yes. basically the same but a bit longer.

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed

Damn, well I stand corrected then. UM must be doing some little tricks to get it less noticeable then. I’ll have to go out and drive those other friends cars again, with testing around those discribed conditions and see if I can duplicate it. But looks like I was wrong!

Yes my set up is exactly what some of the ED users are talking about. I run the APR stage 3+ sensor Kit and had UM make adjustments for the sensors. I have a four bar lower and factory 3bar in place with a 5 bar off the manifold.

Car runs great, and made great power last week on the Dyno. Did 500+whp on full E85 and 32psi

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Damn, well I stand corrected then. UM must be doing some little tricks to get it less noticeable then. I’ll have to go out and drive those other friends cars again, with testing around those discribed conditions and see if I can duplicate it. But looks like I was wrong!

Yes my set up is exactly what some of the ED users are talking about. I run the APR stage 3+ sensor Kit and had UM make adjustments for the sensors. I have a four bar lower and factory 3bar in place with a 5 bar off the manifold.

Car runs great, and made great power last week on the Dyno. Did 500+whp on full E85 and 32psi

It’s easy to miss if you haven’t driven the car for a while in varying conditions, but it’s definitely there. Also very easy to see if you log AFR and fuel trims.

Shouldn’t be an issue with the AEM sensor.

— Ed

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s easy to miss if you haven’t driven the car for a while in varying conditions, but it’s definitely there. Also very easy to see if you log AFR and fuel trims.

Shouldn’t be an issue with the AEM sensor.

— Ed

Makes total sense, next time in a friends car I’ll log them to see those issues. ??

My personal R has been on the AEM sensor for well over a year with no issues. So I’m glad I went this wrote and avoided the PR sensors.

RickyMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
So I’ve been testing out the 4 bar sensor and there is definitely an issue at very low throttle angles right at the transition to decel. The sensor can’t read the high vacuum properly and results in -34% fuel trims and unstable a/f in that area. The result is a bit of a dead spot in the throttle in that transition as well as slightly jerky on/off throttle transition. This is most noticeable around 2000rpm in the 0-10% throttle range. I could see a lot of people not noticing or being bothered by the resulting drivability issue, but its not correct regardless. I’ve been able to smooth out the transition some with some tuning tricks, but at the end of the day, it’s just masking a real deficiency. For those talking about UM cars, I’ve only had one such car on my dyno, but that car also had a hard stutter at that spot, so I don’t think there’s anything too different going on.

FWIW, we’re at sea level and this issue would likely be much less prevalent or even cured at higher elevations. Maybe the folks reporting no issues are just at high enough elevations to get back into range of this sensor.

Thanks
— Ed

Thanks for bringing this up Ed. I've been on the four bar sensors for about a week now and have not noticed any drivability issues, but after reading this post I was able to replicate what you're speaking by putting the car in 5th gear around 2000 RPM's and playing with a throttle.

I really had to work at it to make it do this oh I have not noticed it at all during my daily driving.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Thanks for bringing this up Ed. I've been on the four bar sensors for about a week now and have not noticed any drivability issues, but after reading this post I was able to replicate what you're speaking by putting the car in 5th gear around 2000 RPM's and playing with a throttle.

I really had to work at it to make it do this oh I have not noticed it at all during my daily driving.

Yep. Depending on conditions and driving habits, it won’t be super noticeable. But I’m picky about drivability, so it’s a no go for me personally.

— Ed

RickyMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep. Depending on conditions and driving habits, it won’t be super noticeable. But I’m picky about drivability, so it’s a no go for me personally.

— Ed

Yeah honestly for piece of mind, I'll probably switch over to the 5 bar, just have to source a harness, or figure out the wiring for it. I already have a boost tap I can tap it into.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Yeah honestly for piece of mind, I'll probably switch over to the 5 bar, just have to source a harness, or figure out the wiring for it. I already have a boost tap I can tap it into.

Just ask Moose. Have to leave the stock 3 bar in for temp reading though.

RickyMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know the actual voltage and pressure range of the four bar sensors and be willing to share that information? I called Bosch, but because it's a Volkswagen Audi part they say that the specifications are proprietary. Searching the interwebs I find conflicting information about the voltage range and pressure range.

0.215 V - > 200 mbar
4.461 V - > 4000 mbar

and also .5v at 500mbar
4.5v at 4000mbar.

thanks guys

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Does anyone know the actual voltage and pressure range of the four bar sensors and be willing to share that information? I called Bosch, but because it's a Volkswagen Audi part they say that the specifications are proprietary. Searching the interwebs I find conflicting information about the voltage range and pressure range.

0.215 V - > 200 mbar
4.461 V - > 4000 mbar

and also .5v at 500mbar
4.5v at 4000mbar.

thanks guys

This is what I found from other factory calibrations using that sensor:

.2v - 236mbar
4.5v - 4000mbar

Regardless, any of those calibrations would put the sensor just outside the low range of manifold pressures at sea level. We need the sensor to be stable and linear down to about 170mbar.

-- Ed

RickyMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
So I just got off scientific on this thing and broke out the vacuum pump, air compressor and voltmeter and tested the full range of the 4bar map sensor, with both a voltmeter and the actual car voltage reading from obdeleven. I'll post my full findings later on, as im not home right now but here is the jist of what i have determined.

I am at sea level and current barrometric pressure is 29.94.

minimum voltage .302 read
voltage where linearity starts .310 @ 20.3 inhg

max voltage 4.702 read
voltage where linearity starts
4.66 @ 45.6psi

Dont know if it will help at all, as it still is not within the needed range but i wanted to know what this thing was actually capable of reading.