GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 audio overhaul: 2.1 active system

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Nice! This is something I may try. If you’re able to remove the specific blocks for speaker output would you still lose backup camera functionality? Or that would only happen if you use the kit as intended without taking it apart.

This harness doesn't have a rear view camera connection on the car's harness side. You would need to terminate this aftermarket harness on that side. It's for adding a backup camera to a car that didn't come with one.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
If someone wouldn’t want to cut their factory wires, is there any available harnesses to prevent that? Like for wiring a dsp, you could take an oem speaker harness from the source and run those wires to the dsp and then wire the new speaker outputs from an amp with a reverse harness back into the oem speaker harness. Sorry if that was confusing. Lol.

You could get repair wires, remove the originals from the harness, and add the repair wires. Then you can use them as speaker level outputs, recode the radio for line-level and go right to RCA outputs. Lots of options. This was my MkVI TDI, but the process is the same. Same repair wires too. The pics of the tools and repair wires are about halfway down the first page. Part number for the repair wires is 000 979 133. Mine came as a set of 5 (so 10 ends total once you cut the wires in half) but I think you can buy them as singles now. Prices range from $5 each (2 ends) to something ridiculous like $20 (hopefully that's for the set) or you can buy JUST the ends and make your own wires.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Nice, I would have done that if I'd known about repair wires.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Well done. I was able to fit the DSP under passenger seat and amplifier under drivers seat. I like you EQ curve, similar to "house curve" which give a perceived flat response vice measured flat response.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Off topic, but here are a couple builds I did in the last couple months.

Enclosure design.png PXL_20201128_211715819.jpg PXL_20201213_185410904.jpg PXL_20201213_185506187.jpg PXL_20201228_203605343.jpg PXL_20201230_154946264.jpg PXL_20210104_113241270.jpg PXL_20210106_223030673.jpg PXL_20210107_204022022.jpg PXL_20210107_204104438.jpg

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Now on to copying @mmdb with these little guys in the car.
PXL_20210107_221930693.jpg

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
For the full range speakers I'm planning to do it with 3D printing. These Dayton 3" speakers are tiny, they're only 70mm OD. I'm keeping the midbass the same, staying in the doors, sorry. It seems somewhat likely that my car will see significant autocross time, so putting a speaker in the dead pedal location is a no go.

And, I'm still skeptical about it all being worth it (the noise floor is so high in a car). These Dayton drivers are super cheap and I'm just doing this as a proof of concept. I'm hoping for a deeper soundstage and am interested to see what it does to the image. My image is solid right now even with the cross firing tweeters.

I should say that I tune to a very flat, almost reduced high end. My ears get fatigued pretty quickly. And my musical taste tends toward noise-rock, so absolute clarity is kind of low on the relative priority list.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Did someone say home Hifi? Here are some of my builds.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Whaaaaat, nice! Did we just become beat friends @Faceman ? Fuck yeah Tool.

Are those Accuton drivers, the white ones, the in the first picture?

What are the enclosures so large for the mid/tweeter on the last pictures? Another driver that I can't see?

I think I've done an MTM (red-ish with black piano) with those same drivers too, are that SB 5.25s? I've never done builds with horns or waveguides on the tweeter. How come you gravitate that way? I've done some big open baffles and a few transmission line ones though.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Well done, nice build. I was able to fit my DSP Bit 10 under passenger seat and amplification under drivers seat. I added a connector (VW part number 3B7-035-447) (as previously had Fender Audio) to existing quadlock socket and ran the speaker outs from the existing harness to DSP and then ampifier. My sub enclosure still fits under hatchback cover and it sounds quite natural, certainly can't bounce quarters off of the roof, but that was not my intention. Congratulations on being to enjoy the fruits of your labors as it is a lot of labor speaking from experience. I work slow as it is a hobby and should be fun, but I had to have 100 hours easy into sound treatment and audio install.

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Whaaaaat, nice! Did we just become beat friends @Faceman ? Fuck yeah Tool.

Are those Accuton drivers, the white ones, the in the first picture?

What are the enclosures so large for the mid/tweeter on the last pictures? Another driver that I can't see?

I think I've done an MTM (red-ish with black piano) with those same drivers too, are that SB 5.25s? I've never done builds with horns or waveguides on the tweeter. How come you gravitate that way? I've done some big open baffles and a few transmission line ones though.
(y) 🍻

Yes, those are Accuton. Very clean and uncolored, which may or may not be a good thing, lol.

To keep the cabinet proportions similar and to leave plenty of room for the crossover. Tons of parts for SEAS Mag drivers...

Good eye, those are SBA. Excellent drivers for the money.

Just like any other tweeter or woofer, there are good and bad horns. I'm a big fan of the SEOS 24 and SEOS 8. I also have SEOS 12 in my HT setup, but I feel the need to experiment with other compression drivers. Waveguides/horns work better in rooms that have poor acoustics. I like them, but I still enjoy a nice flush mounted dome as well.