GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 aftermarket amp auto turn on issues

BoTcH

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I got a MK7.5 MIBII GTI, I had an after market amp and sub, and my xplod amp decided to die. The aftermarket JBL club 5501 that I got has the signal sensing auto turn on feature, so the amp is on regardless of the remote wire signal. UGH!

After I installed the JBL amp, I turn off the car and get out, then the amp turns on and the sub gives this load noise! for some reason it's sensing a signal coming from the head unit and it powers on and amplifies it.. I unplugged the RCA pair, and it powered off shortly after.

I don't know if that signal would have eventually died after a minute or two, but it's loud and annoying enough that it makes this an unsustainable situation.

Any ideas on why the wires to the factory sub would have a signal after turning off the car? and any potential ways around it?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
the load noise holds constant or just for a moment like turn on pop?

i have an LC7i and it works off of signal turn on as well, so it does stay powered on after i get out of the car for about 35 seconds.

what were you using for the remote signal before with your Sony amp? you may want to check the JBL manual as most product with the signal sensing on feature have internal jumpers that you can move the position to disable that feature and just use the standard remote turn on lead.

BoTcH

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
the load noise holds constant or just for a moment like turn on pop?

i have an LC7i and it works off of signal turn on as well, so it does stay powered on after i get out of the car for about 35 seconds.

what were you using for the remote signal before with your Sony amp? you may want to check the JBL manual as most product with the signal sensing on feature have internal jumpers that you can move the position to disable that feature and just use the standard remote turn on lead.
It's a constant noise..
I used a wire that I plugged into an empty spot in the fuse box... Wire is still there, and can be connected, but when the remote signal is gone, the amp resorts to incoming signal via the RCA to turn itself on.

I unplugged the sub to observe the amp without having my neighbors annoyed with the noise.. and the amp would stay on (didn't count the time, but 35 seconds sounds close), then would turn off.
I hope I could find that jumper information, would definitely be a good fix

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
It will turn off after a few minutes when the car ‘goes to sleep’.

BoTcH

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
It's a constant noise..
I used a wire that I plugged into an empty spot in the fuse box... Wire is still there, and can be connected, but when the remote signal is gone, the amp resorts to incoming signal via the RCA to turn itself on.

I unplugged the sub to observe the amp without having my neighbors annoyed with the noise.. and the amp would stay on (didn't count the time, but 35 seconds sounds close), then would turn off.
I hope I could find that jumper information, would definitely be a good fix

Someone ran into the same issue, found no jumpers when he took the cover off... His attempted resolution was to run a relay circuit before the RCA...
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarAV/comments/cuux9o

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The only problem is that it's loud and annoying... and I don't understand why it would send a signal to the subwoofer during that time!
Do you have fender audio?? If not are you able to use the fader control?? If not you will likely have to code the system to think you have fender in order to stop the noise.

BoTcH

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
A "shortcut" fix is just to tap into the fuse box and find a power source that comes on/off when you key on/off the car and use that for the remote turn on
That's what I already have.. but when the remote signal is off (ie when I turn off the car and walk away), the amp turns back on via the signal incoming from the RCA

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
If you haven't already tried, disconnect the remote wire. You already have turn on via rca. Maybe they are fighting each other.

Last edited:

BoTcH

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
If you haven't already tried, disconnect the remote wire. You already have turn on via rca. Maybe they are fighting each other.
I thought of that too... but with 4 inches of snow it was hard to troubleshoot over the past few days.
Anyhow, I did that and I thought the problem disappeared... Only to reappear the next time I drove the car yesterday.

BoTcH

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I believe I was able to find out the issue... I'm trying to confirm it over the next few days.

I tapped into the subwoofer signal in the back (the 4 wires going into the stock sub)... I left the stock sub connected while tapping the signal that feeds into the amp.
My belief is that after the car shuts off, a signal goes back to the sub for a moment (whatever the signal is or for), and with everything off, the stock subwoofer leads bleed this signal back into the amp, causing a loop that eventually leads to the continuous noise I have been hearing.

Now with the stock subwoofer unplugged, I turn off the car (or the headunit), and a few moments later I hear a low thump (I believe this indicates the interruption of the RCA signal)... Then the sub is off, the amp is off, and no more noise...
I'll continue to monitor over the next few days, to make sure that this was the issue all along...