GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 ACC radar adjustment without calibration board

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant

Requirements​

• For MK7 only (radar in grill), not for MK7.5 (radar behind emblem).
  • Fault C1103 00 - Adaptive Cruise Control Sensor - misadjusted in module 0x13, ACC/Front Assist error on the instrument cluster.
  • Diagnostic tool like OBDeleven or VCDS
  • 3.5mm socket
  • WD-40
  • white marker

Procedure (at your own risk)​

1. Connect with module 0x13 and confirm that C1103 fault is present.
  2. Now go to Live Data and look for Misalignment angle oraz Misalignment angle, algorytm fast. Here you can check how far the radar is from the perfect position. Anything outside -0.8 to 0.8 will cause the error from step one.
  3. Value below 0 means "radar too much to the right. Value above 0 means "radar too much to the left".
  4. Remove radar cover. Grab it from the side and pull. There are two adjustment screws. The upper-left is responsible for the left-right positioning.
  5. Let WD-40 sit on the adjustment screw for a while.
  6. Use white marker to mark current screw position, so there's no confusion later on.
  7. Use 3.5mm socket to adjust the screw. One full turn will adjust the radar about 0.5 degree. If you had misalignment value below 0, and you need to move the radar to the left - rotate the screw clockwise.
    Example: Misalignment angle: -1.2 requires about 2.5 turn clockwise.
  8. Back to diagnostic interface. Connect with module 0x13, Security Access, login: 14117; then Basic Settings, Reset misalignment angle for sensor; then clear faults, disconnect from the car.
  9. Test drive.
  10. After ~20 miles / ~30 kilometers (unless there's a ACC/Front Assist fault earlier) check new misalignment angle in Live Data and make required correction, reset basic settings, clear faults, test drive... Get as close to 0 as you can.
Example in Audi S6 C7:

Last edited:

Mjames5194

Anyone have any tips for a 7.5? Haven't taken a look behind the badge yet, so I'm not sure if its adjustable at all. Thanks.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Has this actually worked for anyone? I don’t have that exact option in my basic settings. There’s a reset calibration option but I’m unable to activate it.

If it’s this easy, why do dealers charge for hours of calibration on their fancy rack?

2017 Autobahn GTI

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I never tried but I want to share this. When I retrofitted ACC, I made sure to get a radar from a wrecked Golf.

well, I installed it, and it just worked. no calibration needed, it never ever threw any error. I guess I was lucky and it's installed in a position so close to that on the original car, so that it's just inside tolerance.

ACC just works fine. it is actually Front Assist that maybe once a month "sees"
an obstacle that is actually not present and gives me the warning on the dash. I noticed it is always when approaching a curve.

so I am wondering if I should ever bother about calibrating the radar. but, honestly, if I did, I would trust the dealer laser jig much better than the DIY method.

I mean, I doubt I could get it better than what it is now with DIY.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
A9AE915D-566B-4822-B8A0-8BB689EAD1BC.png

My 2017 GTI doesn’t have that basic setting option. Nor does it let me clear the codes for this module.

Don’t care if it doesn’t work properly, just want regular cruise control back.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I adjusted the top left screw and after driving 100 miles the misalignment angle hasn’t changed. How does this thing even tell it’s misaligned ?

Zacks_mk7

Car(s)
2017 autobahn GTI
View attachment 258549

My 2017 GTI doesn’t have that basic setting option. Nor does it let me clear the codes for this module.

Don’t care if it doesn’t work properly, just want regular cruise control back.
I’m having the exact same issue. Apparently there is 2 different acc sensor parts and only one of them works with the method above. Still searching for a solution so I don’t have to pay the dealer $700

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I’m having the exact same issue. Apparently there is 2 different acc sensor parts and only one of them works with the method above. Still searching for a solution so I don’t have to pay the dealer $700
I have this module. I’ve tried 20103, 14117, 31347, 25327, 24085. My VCDS mobile is glitchy so I can’t tell if it’s accepting the codes but I just don’t see the setting above in Basic Setting. There’s a calibration option though, but it doesn’t work.

Attachments

• 0E2DCA7C-74B4-4F34-911D-EB770708353B.jpeg
    0E2DCA7C-74B4-4F34-911D-EB770708353B.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 183

Lambadafromlv

Car(s)
MK7.5 1.5 TFSI
Hi,
I do it by my self full calibration for ACC. I use old mirror and Autocom 2020.23 version. :D
Its not so hard. Before cal. take off VW emblem and check ACC sensor position it should be vertical.
In Autocom is instruction how to do it step by step.