GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 Stage 2 - Flutter after lifting...

Devolution

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf R
‘19 Mk7.5 R, did the jump from stock to full stage 2 by Integrated Engineering.

I have been searching the forums for answers regarding the difference between flutter and surge.

This tune is very aggressive and really seems to push the stock turbo to its limit for the ‘19.

I am curious if any other (or anyone else who has the IE tune) stage 2 tunes around the 400+bhp mark on these cars are known for flutter when lifting at anything less than 3000-4000rpm while accelerating at “normal” traffic acceleration. It flutters more often than not. Only under harder acceleration or higher rpm, just after a lift, will it release in one quick burst.

I may include a video if there seems to be uncertainty.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Update:

I reached out to IE and they said that these tunes do flutter a lot and is completely normal and safe for the car.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
"flutter" = "surge" - charge air back through the turbine vs. the DV to the intake or atmosphere causes the stu stu stu noise. Some tunes do it.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
My apr stage 1 low torque does this too.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
my stage 1 high tq apr tune makes the audible pshhh at gas pedal lift off too. is that the noise op is talking about?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
my stage 1 high tq apr tune makes the audible pshhh at gas pedal lift off too. is that the noise op is talking about?
No. Pshhb of the DV releasing charge isn't "flutter"...flutter should be thr stu stu stu noise when thrbDV doesn't release charge and it backflows through the turbo.

Fleron230

CWGTI
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3
My IE stage 2 does this as well, only under light load/pressure. And it’s very slight but noticeable.

I’ve had the tune for 10-15K miles so far and have only noticed it recently.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
That's really not healthy for the turbo. Change tunes.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I honestly wouldn’t worry about it unless its happening under load, my car did this stock with an intake. You just don’t hear this unless you have an open filter.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Idk man. I've got the ie V2 intake (loudest most annoying one apparently) and I don't hear any surging at all on an eqt stg1 94 octane tune 🤔

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Try flooring it from 1500 rpm in 4th, you will hear wastegate fluttering controlling overboost.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I still think we are having an issue with definitions here....

Fluttering is also called surge and is the stu stu stu when the charge is back-flowing through the turbine

Getting some psh psh of the DV venting charge back to the front of the turbo which does resonate through an open intake is normal turbo stuff under different conditions. Mine is active and you can hear it all the time. The DV doesn't just open when you let off the gas.