GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thread derailed.....ugly car discussion and blue holes.....

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is why I hate the fact that VW can't make a solid manual when a Type-R manual can keep up/outperform a DSG R. There should be no excuse for it. I knew buying my manual it wouldn't perform on par with a DSG but it shouldn't have been the case. There are PLENTY of fast manual cars out there that would smoke a DSG when properly driven. Just VW probably being cheap about it to save money regarding the clutch, etc.

As far as this matchup goes, the Type-R stock is like 310hp. Once it gets moving, it moves. The R should take it from a dig because AWD but a roll race would favor the Type-R easily since all power going to the 2 wheels instead of all 4. I'm not sure how much a tune gives a Type-R but if it's already at 310hp, it probably gets closer to around 350+. That's a lot of powa going to the two front wheels. You're tuned as well though so it should balance it out. I'd say it's a pretty close race though. What about weights involved? I'm not sure how much the Type R weighs but that can play a major role. Honda's are typically lighter weight cars in comparison to VW. At least in the past they were.
Yeah, it's embarrassing for VW how bad the clutch is in these things, but we keep buying them anyway. VW has the parts already in the parts bin, which would cost them next to nothing to change, but they just don't care that the clutches barely hold up to stock power. It's been like that since the early 2000's.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'll keep you all posted. He originally thought it was a base golf. He has kinda went silent since he found out it was an R. I'm hoping he is a good sport and would like a friendly run anyways.
Lolwut? That's like me wanting to race my wife's 1.8 Beetle while I'm in an EQT stage 2 GTI. Walk his ass.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've had that happen when I'm not even racing. Just driving normally, minding my own business and some punk in a crappy car passes me with his flashers on.
Hm... Oftentimes when I pass cars that are kind enough to move over a bit to let me through, I flash my hazards when I'm in front as a way of saying thank you. I hope people haven't been thinking I'm a dick this entire time.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Hm... Oftentimes when I pass cars that are kind enough to move over a bit to let me through, I flash my hazards when I'm in front as a way of saying thank you. I hope people haven't been thinking I'm a dick this entire time.

I would of said, WHAT A DICK! Then try to speed up to get a race war going. AIN'T HAVING IT! :LOL:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
There are PLENTY of fast manual cars out there that would smoke a DSG when properly driven.
Name one. This might have been true ten or fifteen years ago, but hasn't been true in quite a while. The GTI has been faster in DSG form pretty much since the DSG was offered. The GT4 is amusingly quicker as a PDK car. Any older M car is much quicker as a DCT. Any current M car is much quicker with the ZF8. Mustangs are quicker with the 10a. Camaros are faster with the 10a. In fact, I can't think of a quickish manual car that I could name that's not losing half a second or more in the 1/4 to the flappy paddle version. The only thing that comes to mind are the Miata and BRZ, both of which have Cousin It for automatics and don't make any torque in the first place.

I will never buy an automatic, but there's just no way around the fact that they're much more efficient. Most dyno estimates put modern automatics and dual clutches at under 10% loss while manuals will always and forever be 15%.

The CTR would absolutely be quicker with a DSG and it sounds like the new one will offer both, just like the VW and Hyundai.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I'll keep you all posted. He originally thought it was a base golf. He has kinda went silent since he found out it was an R. I'm hoping he is a good sport and would like a friendly run anyways.

when he thought your car was the one that comes with 170HP/184TQ he was excited to race, but when he found it it’s an actual sports car he wasn’t so keen? Sounds like an idiot lol. What’s the fun in racing an econobox?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
when he thought your car was the one that comes with 170HP/184TQ he was excited to race, but when he found it it’s an actual sports car he wasn’t so keen? Sounds like an idiot lol. What’s the fun in racing an econobox?
Ohhh he has a Golf R...I thought you were just saying he's a pirate that drives a golf.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So I guess it's a no go. He suddenly Has a full weekend and dont have time to race. Shame, I was really looking forward to the race. I'm now looking to go to the local 1/8th mile track Saturday and see if the new eqt tunes are faster than the Unitronic ones. Last year on a similar weather day, I Set my best at 7.82 at 90.15. I'm hoping to be mid 7s now.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So I guess it's a no go. He suddenly Has a full weekend and dont have time to race. Shame, I was really looking forward to the race. I'm now looking to go to the local 1/8th mile track Saturday and see if the new eqt tunes are faster than the Unitronic ones. Last year on a similar weather day, I Set my best at 7.82 at 90.15. I'm hoping to be mid 7s now.
In for the results.