GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thread derailed.....ugly car discussion and blue holes.....

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
You've never used datazap?? If not, check out www.datazap.me.

Looks like pretty typical stage 2 type numbers. Very nice!
Will check it out.

very typical stage 2 numbers, which is why I laugh at people who bash the jb4.
AC164737-B75E-471A-9E0E-5433A91FE897.jpeg

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't touch those AFRs with Railroader's pistons.

Massive lost power too. Contrary to the bullshit boomers like to write on the internet, lean is not mean.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I wouldn't touch those AFRs with Railroader's pistons.

Massive lost power too. Contrary to the bullshit boomers like to write on the internet, lean is not mean.

george has seen the logs hasn’t expressed any concerns, based on trap speeds it’s not losing massive power either.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Road course is almost always going to come down to drive mod. 99% of people buying either car won't have the abilities to drive either car at 9/10 or 10/10 on a road course. Not everyone is Randy Pobst.

I'm assuming same driver. I lapped a ZL1, Viper, and several Corvettes at Daytona in a completely stock 19 GTI when it was new and I'm just a decent driver. I totally get that it's driver dependent.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Guess my dyno lies then...

George isn't concerned because his business depends on selling JB4s.
Not saying you're dyno lies, just that the car traps over 115 so I'm not sure where the massive power loss is since that's right where I would expect it. If it was losing massive power it wouldn't be trapping what it is.

Time to go bother him some more.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
This is why I hate the fact that VW can't make a solid manual when a Type-R manual can keep up/outperform a DSG R. There should be no excuse for it. I knew buying my manual it wouldn't perform on par with a DSG but it shouldn't have been the case. There are PLENTY of fast manual cars out there that would smoke a DSG when properly driven. Just VW probably being cheap about it to save money regarding the clutch, etc.

As far as this matchup goes, the Type-R stock is like 310hp. Once it gets moving, it moves. The R should take it from a dig because AWD but a roll race would favor the Type-R easily since all power going to the 2 wheels instead of all 4. I'm not sure how much a tune gives a Type-R but if it's already at 310hp, it probably gets closer to around 350+. That's a lot of powa going to the two front wheels. You're tuned as well though so it should balance it out. I'd say it's a pretty close race though. What about weights involved? I'm not sure how much the Type R weighs but that can play a major role. Honda's are typically lighter weight cars in comparison to VW. At least in the past they were.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
This is why I hate the fact that VW can't make a solid manual when a Type-R manual can keep up/outperform a DSG R. There should be no excuse for it. I knew buying my manual it wouldn't perform on par with a DSG but it shouldn't have been the case. There are PLENTY of fast manual cars out there that would smoke a DSG when properly driven. Just VW probably being cheap about it to save money regarding the clutch, etc.

As far as this matchup goes, the Type-R stock is like 310hp. Once it gets moving, it moves. The R should take it from a dig because AWD but a roll race would favor the Type-R easily since all power going to the 2 wheels instead of all 4. I'm not sure how much a tune gives a Type-R but if it's already at 310hp, it probably gets closer to around 350+. That's a lot of powa going to the two front wheels. You're tuned as well though so it should balance it out. I'd say it's a pretty close race though. What about weights involved? I'm not sure how much the Type R weighs but that can play a major role. Honda's are typically lighter weight cars in comparison to VW. At least in the past they were.

OP is a stage 2 car asking about racing a Type-R with just a tune. He's going to gap it if they actually race.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
The Type R is a road course weapon by design and lineage. The Golf R takes some work to get it to turn. The 2 cars in similar runs, the R will always be faster in a straight line. In similar states of tune on same tires, CTR will always spank the R on a road course.

Now the mk8 R might be a different story. Can't wait to see that match up. If we get what Europe is getting, it's going to be a monster.
I read this comment in Ryosuke Takahashi’s voice.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I read this comment in Ryosuke Takahashi’s voice.

With Takumi scratching his thread in confusion and Itsuki berating him for not knowing anything about cars