GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mk7.5 R space saver spare

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Yep, definitely get a 6 pt 17mm deep well socket and a 24 " or so breaker bar.
Careful with those breaker bars and regular sockets. I had a regular Craftsman socket explode when using a breaker bar on a difficult lug nut. Thankfully I was wearing safety glasses when it happened. Bought a plastic coated impact socket and keep that in the car.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I've had a flat on my old '04 Passat at work, was happy at 1 am ( I work 2nd shift) to have a full size spare. I've had a flat in my R, noticed at home, picked up a screw somewhere. Took tire off and went to a local shop to get patched. If I was on the road would not be that easy. Now that I have a spare, I will probably never use it. :p

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
If one is in need of a spare I would check modernspare.com. I bought one for my GR Supra a while back, it comes with jack (adapter included), donut, tools, etc in a tidy carrying bag. It's very convenient.

I keep the spare in my garage as I don't want to carry extra weight, but if I ever do encounter a flat, I'd just call my wife or kid to bring it to me. In case of my Golf-R, I have too many sets of wheels already so did not buy a specific spare set from ModernSpare. Same thing, I already have tools and jack in my Golf-R, so will call my wife or kid to bring me one wheel with tire.. I have a stack of 19" Pretoria's sitting in my garage.

damonrlloyd

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently purchased a used 2019 R and to my surprise US spec R don't come with a spare:unsure::mad:.

I'm from NJ and still have the oem 19 pretorias and thinking hard to get the space saver spare just in case a tow truck can't be reached or just install the spare and be on my way to a tire shop.

Do most US R owner purchased a spare just in case?
Just picked up a 2019 R. First "mod" was the spare and jack kit.

drshark

Ready to race!
Carry it in the car. Better that than having to wait for an hour or two for the car to be towed back home. Also, it having the spare seems to make the Fender subwoofer sound a little better.
Went five years without the spare. Then, on my first long distance trip, about 30 miles out the low pressure sensor came on. Added 5 lbs air with the compressor; nothing more has happened since. Not sure I would have continued on without the spare in the back.

And yes, hopped in the car the very first time after installing spare -- and there's more subwoofer sound. Huh? Couldn't puzzle that one out. Sound pressure more constrained? Steel box? Glad to know I'm not going crazy...
Shawn

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently purchased a used 2019 R and to my surprise US spec R don't come with a spare:unsure::mad:.

I'm from NJ and still have the oem 19 pretorias and thinking hard to get the space saver spare just in case a tow truck can't be reached or just install the spare and be on my way to a tire shop.

Do most US R owner purchased a spare just in case?
As part of my purchase of a new 19 R, they included the spare and jack, etc. Can’t imagine driving around without a spare. Had one in my 2006 Miata too.

BAD_MK7

Car(s)
2017 MK7 Golf R
To those that have added the spare tire, did you have to extend the subwoofer cable ? I just test fitted (have not yet trimmed the plastic trim) the one I bought and the cable is not long enough.
Does it fit only after trimming the moulding or do you need to lengthen the wires ?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I used the kit from Shop DAP which was not cheap but it fit perfectly. The cable doesn't have a lot of slack in it but it fits and I don't notice any ill effects.

BAD_MK7

Car(s)
2017 MK7 Golf R
I used the kit from Shop DAP which was not cheap but it fit perfectly. The cable doesn't have a lot of slack in it but it fits and I don't notice any ill effects.
Ok thanks. I just have the tire right now which should be the same thing as its OEM. Its about 1 inch away from being able to connect, but maybe thats the amount of room gained with the trimming of the molding ?

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Same. Been 3 years or more since I bought mine but fit is perfect. I remember having the same concern about the cable being short but it worked out fine. This is on a 2019 R as well.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Throwing in an actual spare tire was one of the first mods I did with my R. Thinking of my wife sitting on the side of the road relying on a can of fix-a-flat wasn't a happy image for me. But I did it one better: Not only did I put in the generic VW/Audi space-saver spare, I added an electric jack as well as a 30" breaker bar with a universal joint. Now, my wife could actually change a tire if she had to--something that I doubt she could manage with a factory jack and the typical way-too-short jack-handle/lug wrench that's in most trunks. I also had the benefit of owning an '15 R, which came with the full Styrofoam insert beneath the trunk floor, which allowed me to make custom cut-outs for the jack and breaker bar. We haven't had to use the spare yet, but it's super comforting to know that it'll be there if and when we do.

She also better have a "self-defense" tool.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
DAP kit. Subwoofer cable was long enough. Expensive but worth it IMHO. 100% clean euro OEM install.