GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 proximity sensor

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
So, i have a mk7.5 gti.. i really don't mind the proximity sensor, however, i have something in mind id like to try, but would need that sensor relocated. Im currently in the process of designing a boser, which would also mean a badgeless grill. I know that the mk7 golfs had them in the front grill section of the bumper, so i debated checking into that too. If anyone has any ideas, or already did something, please share. TIA!

pic just because..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Moving the sensor to the lower grill (ala MK7 style), would be very expensive and difficult for several reasons, but I think your biggest challenge will be fitting the MK7 lower honeycomb grill into a MK7.5 bumper. I'm not positive but I don't think they are interchangeable. See ebay link for picture.

Assuming you do get that to work, the rest of the relocation is going to suck too. the sensor is attached to the crash bar, so you'll probably have to replace that with one that has the fitment for it. Then you may need a different radar altogether that fits. Check out the second link below, it's a how-to for retrofitting ACC, but the pictures will help give you an idea.

Even if you can install everything, you will at a minimum need recalibration of the sensor done by the VW dealership (~$500). And if you do end up needing to swap to a different sensor you will have to have component protection removed.

Soooo not impossible but probably not worth it I think? Do you have ACC or is it just forward collision warning? Maybe if you really want badgeless grill just deactivate it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-...609011?hash=item1a853e66f3:g:UMEAAOSwXn1djgrd

http://mqb.pl/en/adaptive-cruise-control-retrofit-acc-on-mqb/

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Moving the sensor to the lower grill (ala MK7 style)...

Yeah, I'm not saying to use anything from a mk7 besides the basic idea of where it's located on them. Im a machinist so I'd make anything necessary to relocate. Mine isnt on the crash bar, mine is behind the front vw emblem, so i want sure about just simply moving the sensor or if that would mean id need it recalibrated at the dealer or anything. Just really hate doing anything halfass, so i was hoping someone already had tried it lol

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Moving the sensor to the lower grill (ala MK7 style)...

Yeah, I'm not saying to use anything from a mk7 besides the basic idea of where it's located on them. Im a machinist so I'd make anything necessary to relocate. Mine isnt on the crash bar, mine is behind the front vw emblem, so i want sure about just simply moving the sensor or if that would mean id need it recalibrated at the dealer or anything. Just really hate doing anything halfass, so i was hoping someone already had tried it lol

Yea I know the 7.5 has it behind the emblem. what I meant was if you move it to the crash bar, like on the MK7's, even if you fab the bracket yourself, you still may need a different sensor because the trim pieces for that sensor may be different. And like I said, the lower grill probably doesn't fit with the mk7.5 bumper.

Regardless, however/wherever you move it to, it will at a minimum require recalibration.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Recchione04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Yea I know the 7.5 has it behind the emblem. what I meant was if you move it to the crash bar, like on the MK7's, even if you fab the bracket yourself, you still may need a different sensor because the trim pieces for that sensor may be different. And like I said, the lower grill probably doesn't fit with the mk7.5 bumper.

Regardless, however/wherever you move it to, it will at a minimum require recalibration.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Ohhh ok, gotcha. I just wasn't sure what you could, and couldnt do with the original sensor. I know the insert wont fit, nothing is ever that simple anymore lol i figured id run into this type of stupidity, just figured id find an easier way out of it lol

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I think the Mk7 lower grills do fit in the Mk7.5 bumper, I’ve seen it done several times, unless it was an aftermarket lookalike grill, either way you can get one that fits with the radar cut out.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So bumping an old thread and slightly hijacking it.....

I have always loved the look of badgeless, but I'm a 7.5 owner as well and have the sensor behind the badge. Couldn't I just ziptie the sensor behind the badgeless grill and have it still work? Or is the sensor the emblem itself and then it would "see" the badge in front of it and wouldn't work?

I essentially disable it anyways when I drive turning off ESC.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
So bumping an old thread and slightly hijacking it.....

I have always loved the look of badgeless, but I'm a 7.5 owner as well and have the sensor behind the badge. Couldn't I just ziptie the sensor behind the badgeless grill and have it still work? Or is the sensor the emblem itself and then it would "see" the badge in front of it and wouldn't work?

I essentially disable it anyways when I drive turning off ESC.
If you really don't use it, you can remove it, however I'm not sure if a badgeless grill exists for mk7.5.

Zip ties would not work, the sensor has an extremely low tolerance (something like 0.8 degrees) and must be calibrated in its exact position.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
If you really don't use it, you can remove it, however I'm not sure if a badgeless grill exists for mk7.5.

Zip ties would not work, the sensor has an extremely low tolerance (something like 0.8 degrees) and must be calibrated in its exact position.
Great to know about its tolerance... hadn’t even thought of that.