GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 OEM LED Headlights Retrofit

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
"Please add washer fluid" :unsure:

Some poor bastid is bitching up a storm in the R forum about 2019 R's apparently no longer having a low washer fluid sensor in the reservoir. But hey, at least his car won't tell him to add fluid because of a headlight issue, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
"Please add washer fluid" :unsure:

Some poor bastid is bitching up a storm in the R forum about 2019 R's apparently no longer having a low washer fluid sensor in the reservoir. But hey, at least his car won't tell him to add fluid because of a headlight issue, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Kevin, my man.. You follow me around the forum instead of responding directly in the original thread. Oof. This is definitely not helping your “sensitive boomer” reputation.. ? You know I’m right about the washer fluid thing. ??

Now, back to the original purpose of this thread: thank you for the clarification awd, I’ll check the variant to see if it matches.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
@2018gti

lol I guess so. There was a few things that kept coming up during programing and one of them was that message. Usually it came up because I did not clear the faults on modules 29, 39, D6, and D7 before doing the basic settings. You will know this is the issue because module 4B will continue to complaint that there is no basic settings under faults after you try to do the basic settings routine. By the way, once everything is good, you should not have to turn off the car to get this to stick.

The other time I saw this, was when I was trying to figure out the proper combination of firmware for the modules 29, 39, D6, and D7 (my modules came from different vehicles). If you go to any of the headlight modules [29, 39, D6, D7], under live data, there is a field called "Head lamp variant", VCP shows a longer number but OBDeleven says "e052" for Control module and Via CAN. Is that what shows up for you?

Other than this, maybe it is the parameters/firmware 0346 i have loaded. :(

Hope this helps

Aha... I have a different head lamp variant than you do: e076. Hmmmmm.

Edit: I also set market back to ece, waited for all the errors to show up again after turning car off, thinking that maybe the Via CAN and Control module would change. But they both stayed at e076, interestingly. Ordering a VCP may be in my future...

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Huge props for undertaking this effort. Speaking from experience, the effort to document what you did is a lot of work. Particularly impressed that you were able to get fuses installed in fuse box (#4 post). I spent a day attempting and finally gave up and used fuse jumpers. Linking to my initial post in case there is any information there that can be gleaned to assist in this effort. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ighting-package-afs-bi-xenon-retrofit.341350/

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for AWD44161 for the detailed write up, it enlightened me in installation. With my coder help, I got the light converted. I am here to support this thread for whoever keen to do it. THink the biggest setback in this retrofit is the cost of LED headlight unit.

Xhytobgs5

Car(s)
Golf R
Does anybody know anyone doing this for people? If yes, how much just for Retrofitting as parts and labour would be supplied.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Does anybody know anyone doing this for people? If yes, how much just for Retrofitting as parts and labour would be supplied.

Good question, I assume the rumors about insane labor cost are true because I would never do this for money 😅. I would definitely help a brother dubber out but when you ask for money people have expectations. I had so many set backs do to not knowing what needed to get done but I assume it would take a long weekend to get it all completed.

Xhytobgs5

Car(s)
Golf R
Just a quick question for everyone. Can the full beam be thrown further out with coding? I bought my car fully retrofitted But the full beams throw as far as the normal beams so if I flash at someone they never see it. The full beam has to be raised independent of the low beam. So using the manual screw on the headlight isn’t going to work. How is the range for full beam range sorted?

AWD4416

Ready to race!
There is no way of doing what you are asking todo. The main light beam (outside light) moves up a bit when you flash someone. There is a guide on this site that shows how to calibrate the lights. The computer will adjust everything accordingly if you properly calibrated the lights. By the way, when I flash my lights, I can see it like half a mile down the road on a straight road.

Leomaxe

Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7
Congratulation!!! AWD4416 it is an excellent work :cool:(y). I am doing something similar but i just want the basic functions (Low, High, DLR and turn lights). Nowadays only is working the Low lights :(. If the headlight has just 7 pines, how do you connected 9? (14 pin connector table). Thank you!

14 pines mk7.5.JPG

Attachments

• mk7.5.JPG
    mk7.5.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Congratulation!!! AWD4416 it is an excellent work :cool:(y). I am doing something similar but i just want the basic functions (Low, High, DLR and turn lights). Nowadays only is working the Low lights :(. If the headlight has just 7 pines, how do you connected 9? (14 pin connector table). Thank you!

View attachment 176336

Hi, you need to buy a 10pin to 14pin connector converter. It is available in market. Even with 14pin converter buy off the shelves, you will still need to splice some cables to have the full features working. I bought the lights for 2 months and did not do anything until i saw AWD4416 guide, it completed me by following. VW wiring diagram did not fully explain 1 part which is crucial to completing.

Actually, it wasn't tough to convert if you are going from 7.5 halogen to 7.5 LED. my lights are 081/082 DLA type. In fact, it is easier than doing PLA3.0 full parking system. Ask me anything too.

I borrow a gif from other forum, but my DLA light start up is below.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

danikd

Car(s)
GOlf 7.5
Hi shopskysalat, any difficuliet to retrofit PLA 3.0 in G7.5? Seems to be straightforward ... worst part installing wiring ... Or any problems you discovered? Is there a thread for PLA?
Maybe one question for everyone. I have static LED and want retrofit 081/082 DLA type. Must I change LED control unit under dashboard? Or its same and only headlighs and headlioghts units are different?
Many thx for info.
Daniel

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
If you on LeD, suggest you stay as it is. It is already a set of beautiful lights you have. To change to DLa, you need whole headlight assembly to be 81/82 or 113/114 part no. Control unit may need to change depends on part no, have to verify.
Expensive undertaking. For PlA, there are plenty of support to do it. It is tedious to pull wiring and the worst of all is remove all the panels and fix back. Nightmare. If u do, 17mm is the sensor hole to drill. If u cant find more support, ask me again. But where do u buy the parts from? Last, forget about the lights, unless u are on halogen like i was before. But the light is the best retrofit i had done. I got a coder to code it too. Total cost me around 7-800usd. Better deal than replica i guess.

Leomaxe

Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7
Hi, you need to buy a 10pin to 14pin connector converter. It is available in market. Even with 14pin converter buy off the shelves, you will still need to splice some cables to have the full features working. I bought the lights for 2 months and did not do anything until i saw AWD4416 guide, it completed me by following. VW wiring diagram did not fully explain 1 part which is crucial to completing.

Actually, it wasn't tough to convert if you are going from 7.5 halogen to 7.5 LED. my lights are 081/082 DLA type. In fact, it is easier than doing PLA3.0 full parking system. Ask me anything too.

I borrow a gif from other forum, but my DLA light start up is below.
View attachment 176583
sopskysalat Thank you so much for tell me about your success! Curretly I have the 10pin to 14pin connector converter but i think it´s the mk7 converter because only works the low lights. I think there are something wrong in the wiring but i don´t know. I tried to fix it with this diagram but it didn´t works. Could you please share to me the correct VW wiring diagram? I will really really appreciate that.

Diagram for mk7.5 halogen.jpg

danikd

Car(s)
GOlf 7.5
If you on LeD, suggest you stay as it is. It is already a set of beautiful lights you have. To change to DLa, you need whole headlight assembly to be 81/82 or 113/114 part no. Control unit may need to change depends on part no, have to verify.
Expensive undertaking. For PlA, there are plenty of support to do it. It is tedious to pull wiring and the worst of all is remove all the panels and fix back. Nightmare. If u do, 17mm is the sensor hole to drill. If u cant find more support, ask me again. But where do u buy the parts from? Last, forget about the lights, unless u are on halogen like i was before. But the light is the best retrofit i had done. I got a coder to code it too. Total cost me around 7-800usd. Better deal than replica i guess.
Hello, many thx. I will change windshield for heated one, so next will be camera and than DLA lights ... 081/082 used, than sell static lights ... control units on lights are differrent, main headlight LED unit think same ... So when time come, I will ask for help here, many thx!
One thing about PLA, rear and front side sensor brackets are both with "ring" ? Allexpress sets are one with and one without... Thx for info ...Daniel