GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 LED Headlight Height Measurements

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I have seen several threads on this, but everyone seems to be just guessing / estimating. I can’t find any actual data on how high the measurements should be.

I understand how to manually adjust the headlight with an Allen key. How far from the wall should the car be, and how high should the cutoff of the headlight beam measure on the wall?

My lights seem lower than usual after installing coilovers.

Thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did the coilovers lower the car? If yes your lights are going to be lower. I don't know how many feet to be from a wall but I would guess 20' or so and the lights should point parallel to the ground. If your car is lower now you can't aim them up because the further out the light goes it will be hitting oncoming cars at eye level if the beam is pointed up. You'll have to get used to lower to the ground lights if the car is lower than stock.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Did the coilovers lower the car? If yes your lights are going to be lower. I don't know how many feet to be from a wall but I would guess 20' or so and the lights should point parallel to the ground. If your car is lower now you can't aim them up because the further out the light goes it will be hitting oncoming cars at eye level if the beam is pointed up. You'll have to get used to lower to the ground lights if the car is lower than stock.

Yes, I’m lower now than I was.

There’s nothing but a bunch of junk and conflicting information about headlight adjusting out there. Especially related to auto leveling. 20” is low. Ground to center projector for the low beams is 25.5” exactly after lowering.

I measured my Tiguan for reference against my bare garage wall, and the beam cutoff is identical to the center of the housing when measured from the ground. Based on this info, I did the same for the R. Taped off the wall at 25.5” and adjusted to that point. Have no idea if that’s correct, but is about as accurate as I could think to make the adjustment.

I agree that you don’t want to adjust to the original height as the beam will be pointed up. Good point.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, I’m lower now than I was.

There’s nothing but a bunch of junk and conflicting information about headlight adjusting out there. Especially related to auto leveling. 20” is low. Ground to center projector for the low beams is 25.5” exactly after lowering.

I measured my Tiguan for reference against my bare garage wall, and the beam cutoff is identical to the center of the housing when measured from the ground. Based on this info, I did the same for the R. Taped off the wall at 25.5” and adjusted to that point. Have no idea if that’s correct, but is about as accurate as I could think to make the adjustment.

I agree that you don’t want to adjust to the original height as the beam will be pointed up. Good point.
Sounds like you've done all you can. Just one of the tradeoffs for a car that is lower than stock. You have no choice but to keep the beam parallel to the ground.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
In Europe you’ll find a percentage number like 1.0% or 1.2% on your headlights.
C1489A08-172F-47F4-90C9-44C27A59A133.jpeg

On an even surface with 10m distance to a wall your light needs to aim down by this percentage.
1D9BC3FA-B81E-4E0C-B67C-D63A27F70549.jpeg

After lowering don’t forget to run the basic headlight acknowledgment.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/18152/

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I would just adjust, test drive, adjust, test drive, until it looked right, and only use the wall to get the beams even. You'll know if they're aimed too high or low once you're driving around.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I would just adjust, test drive, adjust, test drive, until it looked right, and only use the wall to get the beams even. You'll know if they're aimed too high or low once you're driving around.

This is why I was asking what the original measurement is supposed to be.

I just went for a drive since it’s dark now. Based on the adjustments I made earlier I think they are about right. Still hard to tell. No flashing from other drivers etc. But still don’t know where they are supposed to be exactly.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This is why I was asking what the original measurement is supposed to be.

I just went for a drive since it’s dark now. Based on the adjustments I made earlier I think they are about right. Still hard to tell. No flashing from other drivers etc. But still don’t know where they are supposed to be exactly.
They're supposed to be where you can see the best without blinding oncoming traffic. No sarcasm intended.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
So.

From center axle to fender, my front and rear measurements are just under 13". About 1/8" under 13" total. My rears are a hair lower than my fronts by about 3mm or so. Ground to fender is a hair over 25".

25.5" beam cutoff was too high. After more trial and error, I found that 25.5" was lighting up the sides of houses as I drove by, especially if I hit a dip. Small adjustments up / down equate to large changes where the headlight beams project. I ended up remeasuring the ground to center projector and realized it was closer to 25". After adjusting the top beam cutoff to this height from about 5' from the wall, the lighting is perfect.

For anyone lowering their car, a measurement of roughly 25" to the top of the projector beam cutoff is perfect. Just for a general reference.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So.

From center axle to fender, my front and rear measurements are just under 13" front and rear. About 1/8" under 13" total. My rears are a hair lower than my fronts by about 3mm or so. Ground to fender is a hair over 25".

25.5" beam cutoff was too high. After more trial and error, I found that 25.5" was lighting up the sides of houses as I drove by, especially if I hit a dip. Small adjustments up / down equate to large changes where the headlight beams project. I ended up remeasuring the ground to center projector and realized it was closer to 25". After adjusting the top beam cutoff to this height from about 5' from the wall, the lighting is perfect.

For anyone lowering their car, a measurement of roughly 25" to the top of the projector beam cutoff is perfect. Just for a general reference.
If I lower my car I'll be looking for you. 😂

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
How do you calculate this? 1.0%?

That would be such a small change over 10m, it would hardly be noticeable.
On a distance of 10m 1% = 0,10m. My light cut off height in front off the headlight is 0,665m. 10m away it should be 0,565m w/ 1%.

Because my garage isn’t 10m + vehicle length I used some math to adjust my headlights. 4m between car and wall at 1% = 0,04m. Adjusted my lights to be 4cm lower in 4m distance, passed the TÜV light test w/ flying colors, and the visibility for me is great too.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
On a distance of 10m 1% = 0,10m. My light cut off height in front off the headlight is 0,665m. 10m away it should be 0,565m w/ 1%.

Because my garage isn’t 10m + vehicle length I used some math to adjust my headlights. 4m between car and wall at 1% = 0,04m. Adjusted my lights to be 4cm lower in 4m distance, passed the TÜV light test w/ flying colors, and the visibility for me is great too.
If I had to do that, which I wouldn't be able to, I just wouldn't drive at night anymore.

Thankfully my headlights are still adjusted well.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Sounds like I need to start working later, and leave earlier for many weeks of the year. 🙃 Headlight saving time.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
So I'm bumping this thread because I've never seen anything like this. Not sure why I didn't notice it before. Take a look at the beam cut offs. I'm used to seeing a Z shaped pattern that both headlights fit into nicely. On the MK7.5 LED headlamps, I'm getting this bowl shape where the middles come together and meet in somewhat of a point. Even my Tiguan has a nice top line with a cutoff where the beams mate with one another.

Is this normal? Do the headlights just suck on the 7.5s?

Attachments

• Headlight Beams.jpg
    Headlight Beams.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 106