GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 gti turbo flutter under hard acceleration

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
that is great! I was thinking about a neuspeed power module just to add +5 psi... Until I read the forums. Now I'm leaning more towards a JB4. Do you mind if I ask your personal opinion or your opinion on a hybrid turbo for these cars? My car is my daily, so until I get another car I want to make sure my car will last but I have heard some good things about hybrid turbos

My TPC20 hybrid turbo will be arriving Tuesday. Going from a leaking bearing seals IS38 to that hybrid IS20. I'll have dyno results in a few weeks.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
My car was getting flutter recently at higher boost levels. I’m using an Autotech intake which was working great when first installed. Months went by and the flutter started, along with louder turbo sounds overall. When I checked the band clamps that were securing the intake tube to the TIP at the coupler, the screws were loose on the clamps and that’s where the air was being siphoned through at higher boost levels. There was no visible gap- but enough of a loose tolerance that would open up under pressure.

I secured all the hose clamps once more, this time added loctite to the set screws and the flutter is now gone. Boost builds hard and holds once again as it did when I first installed the intake.
so something on your intake was loose and caused it to flutter under acceleration? Just wondering because if thats the case, I definitely need to reinstall the stock turbo inlet elbow

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
so something on your intake was loose and caused it to flutter under acceleration? Just wondering because if thats the case, I definitely need to reinstall the stock turbo inlet elbow
Correct. The two wormgear screw hose clamps which secure the vibrant coupler/connector to the Autotech hose and the O34 TIP respectively on my car had backed out and come loose over a few months of hard driving. The band clamps weren’t nearly as tight as I had set them during the install...

...Enough so that under hard throttle, air was siphoning in at this connection. I tightened everything once again and used loctite at the wormgear screws and no flutter since!

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
Correct. The two wormgear screw hose clamps which secure the vibrant coupler/connector to the Autotech hose and the O34 TIP respectively on my car had backed out and come loose over a few months of hard driving. The band clamps weren’t nearly as tight as I had set them during the install...

...Enough so that under hard throttle, air was siphoning in at this connection. I tightened everything once again and used loctite at the wormgear screws and no flutter since!
no kidding, well thanks! I'll be sure to check that those are nice and tight on there.

unklejunior

SouthFL - if you are able could you post pictures of what you tightened down? I have a similar flutter but have had no mods - but suspect a leak based on the sound and a slight loss of boost. I have an APR tune and possibly the higher boost it provides has put pressure on the system and found a weak spot to create a leak. The turbo/inlet etc. are all stock so it could be just weak factory quality control. Any help is appreciated.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
SouthFL - if you are able could you post pictures of what you tightened down? I have a similar flutter but have had no mods - but suspect a leak based on the sound and a slight loss of boost. I have an APR tune and possibly the higher boost it provides has put pressure on the system and found a weak spot to create a leak. The turbo/inlet etc. are all stock so it could be just weak factory quality control. Any help is appreciated.
Sure. First pic has a red box around area of detail.
Second pic has red arrows pointing at the band clamp screws that I had to loctite.

5F2A403D-08D4-44AA-8916-5C3CF5274F70.jpeg
8F9A742D-8DA2-4963-A117-F086AC33B4A2.jpeg

Just had a look at my factory take-off TIP and Accordian Intake Hose connection. That connection, even with a loose factory band clamp, seems pretty well fit. Maybe tighten down the band clamp a bit for good measure but don’t overtighten as the factory tip is plastic! Wouldn’t want it to break!

48E18A0D-0418-4581-A279-7C033DCBA569.jpeg

Last edited:

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Question about the TIP on MK7.5 GTI's. Anyone know the reasoning behind this? Would this also apply to other manufacturers' TIP's? Did something change between MK7 & 7.5 with the stock TIP?

1589125716148.png

Kope58

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI SE
Yup, I had lots of issues prior to the f24 update in December, that update finally fixed my issues.

OP- you have had the update correct? I had this same issue you speak of and it gets worse at the IATs go up, especially when you piggyback and try to up the boost, I used to have to keep the boost basically at stock levels below 4K before cause it would “flutter” like crazy.

Once the update it was completely gone, even now with a hybrid turbo is still not there.

I tried calling my vw dealer about this F24 update. They said they don’t know what I’m talking about and it doesn’t exist under their service bulletin. I have a 2019 GTi, and have the same issues. Can you provide a service bulletin # or something ?

Kope58

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI SE
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...t-stalling-issue.363310/page-205#post-7480979

24FD, hard to believe they don’t know as all cars on their lots would have been required to have the mod done before sale once VW sorted it. Service advisors can be next to worthless.
Thanks dude. I suppose this is only for Manual vehicles. I guess this doesn’t apply to me. I’m stuck with a weird flutter noise upon acceleration in 2nd-3rd gear. I wonder if it’s bcs of a diverter valve spacer? I only noticed it once it was installed...

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I recall the DSG got the same fix, but I bought my 2019 after this was sorted. I would pull that spacer off. Your car is far from stock, so it could be due to the mods. Your car would probably get a warranty flag if you brought it in as is.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks dude. I suppose this is only for Manual vehicles. I guess this doesn’t apply to me. I’m stuck with a weird flutter noise upon acceleration in 2nd-3rd gear. I wonder if it’s bcs of a diverter valve spacer? I only noticed it once it was installed...

I have a spacer also because it was free and I don't have the flutter. You only hear the flutter because of the spacer. The OEM ECU tune is known to bleed off boost when accelerating. I don't know if 24FD fixes that but I can tell you that it is fixed when you have a Cobb AP and get tuned by EQT and a few others.

Kope58

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI SE
I have a spacer also because it was free and I don't have the flutter. You only hear the flutter because of the spacer. The OEM ECU tune is known to bleed off boost when accelerating. I don't know if 24FD fixes that but I can tell you that it is fixed when you have a Cobb AP and get tuned by EQT and a few others.

okay that’s good. So the flutter isn’ compressor surge or anything bad?