GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 gti turbo flutter under hard acceleration

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
i bought a 2019 gti and recently I notice when at WOT there is a slight compressor surge and it feels like there is a loss of power as well. I am assuming I have a boost leak, however, I don't know why there would be turbo flutter at WOT? I am new to modding, and just looking to learn more. Last night I took off my turbo inlet pipe, turbo inlet elbow, and my BOV. I didn't see anything wrong with the O rings on the BOV, and everything looked fine with all of the intake components. I am going swap back to the OEM diverter valve, however, I am about out of answers after that. If anyone has an answer to this or can educate me on this subject it would be much appreciated. I also do not think it could be the actual wastegate spring in the turbo as the car is on a completely stock tune (no piggyback). Is there any way this could be related to the turbo inlet elbow not sealing all the way? The car is stock tune as I said, has 4,200 miles, and the only mods I've done so far are:
Catted downpipe
Resonator delete
Turbosmart Kompact BOV
OEM Audi short shifter
high flow drop in air filter (K&N)
High flow turbo inlet pipe
High flow turbo inlet elbow
and other random cosmetic mods

UPDATE: the surge got worse, And I had a loud spooling noise that sounded like it was coming from the DV (it was a very unique spool sound not just intake noise. not to mention its a stock intake. So I decided to take my downpipe off today. The wastegate is loose, and I assume staying open constantly. Along with that I found a little shaft play in the compressor wheel... I have been on a stock tune the whole time and car is just nearing 6,800 miles
Also scanned the car
p226100 : turbo boost pressure not detected mechanically
U041600 : Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control

The car is going into the dealer on Tuesday, most likely getting. a new turbo under warranty.

[UPDATE]: Turbo was replaced under warranty a couple months back. no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
7.5s utilize the dv a lot more as well.
Yup, I had lots of issues prior to the f24 update in December, that update finally fixed my issues.

OP- you have had the update correct? I had this same issue you speak of and it gets worse at the IATs go up, especially when you piggyback and try to up the boost, I used to have to keep the boost basically at stock levels below 4K before cause it would “flutter” like crazy.

Once the update it was completely gone, even now with a hybrid turbo is still not there.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I get a ton of flutter at 27psi

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
Yup, I had lots of issues prior to the f24 update in December, that update finally fixed my issues.

OP- you have had the update correct? I had this same issue you speak of and it gets worse at the IATs go up, especially when you piggyback and try to up the boost, I used to have to keep the boost basically at stock levels below 4K before cause it would “flutter” like crazy.

Once the update it was completely gone, even now with a hybrid turbo is still not there.
I’m sorry but I am not familiar with the f24 update? Is this the update that was supposed to eliminate the stalling issue with the mk7.5 gti?

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
Yes, but it Also addressed drivability. Smooths out 2800-4000.

When did you buy the car?
Just got the F24 update installed today. The car feels much quicker and there is no flutter under hard acceleration anymore. I appreciate your response as if you didn’t tell me that was the issue, I would have waited until my 10,000 mile service to have them install it

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Does anyone have a TSB I could have re: the F24 update?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
i bought a 2019 gti and recently I notice when at WOT there is a slight turbo flutter and it feels like there is a loss of power as well. I am assuming I have a boost leak, however I don't know why there would be turbo flutter at WOT? I am new to modding, and just looking to learn more. Last night I took off my turbo inlet pipe, turbo inlet elbow, and my BOV. I didn't see anything wrong with the O rings on the BOV, and everything looked fine with all of the intake components. I am going swap back to the OEM diverter valve, however I am about out of answers after that. If anyone has an answer to this or can educate me on this subject it would be much appreciated. I also do not think it could be the actual wastegate spring in the turbo as the car is on a completely stock tune (no piggyback). Is there any way this could be related to the turbo inlet elbow not sealing all the way? The car is stock tune as I said, has 4,200 miles, and the only mods I've done so far are:
Catted downpipe
Resonator delete
Turbosmart Kompact BOV
OEM Audi short shifter
high flow drop in air filter (K&N)
High flow turbo inlet pipe
High flow turbo inlet elbow
and other random cosmetic mods

My car was getting flutter recently at higher boost levels. I’m using an Autotech intake which was working great when first installed. Months went by and the flutter started, along with louder turbo sounds overall. When I checked the band clamps that were securing the intake tube to the TIP at the coupler, the screws were loose on the clamps and that’s where the air was being siphoned through at higher boost levels. There was no visible gap- but enough of a loose tolerance that would open up under pressure.

I secured all the hose clamps once more, this time added loctite to the set screws and the flutter is now gone. Boost builds hard and holds once again as it did when I first installed the intake.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just got the F24 update installed today. The car feels much quicker and there is no flutter under hard acceleration anymore. I appreciate your response as if you didn’t tell me that was the issue, I would have waited until my 10,000 mile service to have them install it
Great to hear, it made my car soo much more enjoyable and i was able to turn up the boost more in that RPM band.

Does anyone have a TSB I could have re: the F24 update?

check in the 2019 stalling thread its in there, or you can call your dealer they will be able to see if your VIN has been updated.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
My car was getting flutter recently at higher boost levels. I’m using an Autotech intake which was working great when first installed. Months went by and the flutter started, along with louder turbo sounds overall. When I checked the band clamps that were securing the intake tube to the TIP at the coupler, the screws were loose on the clamps and that’s where the air was being siphoned through at higher boost levels. There was no visible gap- but enough of a loose tolerance that would open up under pressure.

I secured all the hose clamps once more, this time added Loctite to the set screws and the flutter is now gone. Boost builds hard and holds once again as it did when I first installed the intake.
Have you gotten the F24 software update/recall done? @El_bigote_AJ told me about it and it fixed my turbo flutter/surge/whatever the hell it was with no problem. I reinstalled my full intake including the inlet elbow and the car feels much quicker. The turbo also feels very smooth after the update, it really does improve the drivability of the car.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
Great to hear, it made my car soo much more enjoyable and i was able to turn up the boost more in that RPM band.
check in the 2019 stalling thread its in there, or you can call your dealer they will be able to see if your VIN has been updated.

that is great! I was thinking about a neuspeed power module just to add +5 psi... Until I read the forums. Now I'm leaning more towards a JB4. Do you mind if I ask your personal opinion or your opinion on a hybrid turbo for these cars? My car is my daily, so until I get another car I want to make sure my car will last but I have heard some good things about hybrid turbos