GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 GSW 1.8T 4Motion Turbo Upgrade Options

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I just upgraded my IC last month. I've been running the IS20/APR+JB4/stock DP setup for almost 10k miles with no problems on the stock IC. Of course your driving style will play a part. The stock IC is more than enough for aggressive passing, or smacking down an integra in mexico.
It's enough to hang with a lightly modded EVO X in mexico. Ask me how I know. ;) It's a good solid safe and fun setup. The IS20 is great for pulling a loaded wagon up mountains too.

I almost talked myself out of wanting to upgrade there. ;)

You on stock Intercooler?

Been weighing my options for the past few months now lol. Either go all in Intercooler + TPC IS38 and DP w/ APR IS38 map OR IS20 + DP w/ APR or JB4.

Lately I'm more and more leaning towards the latter lol.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
The message I received back from Nick at TPC implied (like Dan’s from Littco) that they were only selling their turbo offerings for custom tuning on the 1.8T. Until Cobb becomes available, UM or Maestro seem to be the only available options. Dan said they have no testing on the 1.8 platform and seemed reluctant to even offer one of his turbos for sale.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Because they don't want to be responsible for blowing up a 1.8? Or they don't want to see their turbos fail? Just take our money!!!

I'll be custom tuning mine myself via ED Maestro, does that count? I'm not a professional tuner and I've never tuned on the VW platform.. will they still sell me a turbo? Will I need to take a test before they will sell me one? :rolleyes:

The message I received back from Nick at TPC implied (like Dan’s from Littco) that they were only selling their turbo offerings for custom tuning on the 1.8T. Until Cobb becomes available, UM or Maestro seem to be the only available options. Dan said they have no testing on the 1.8 platform and seemed reluctant to even offer one of his turbos for sale.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I’m with you man, but it looks like we might have to wait awhile until we can put one of these turbos in our cars. Which is fine with me.

As more people install them in their GTI’s/R’s and they’re proven reliable (or otherwise), maybe then us 1.8T owners will get to join in (or run the other way with our $$).

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Since Littco and TPC seems reluctant on selling their turbo for OTS map use, IS20 + JB4 looks more and more appealing. Plus I can keep the stock downpipe and intercooler (daily/spirited use, not tracking the wagon).

ZuMBLe, I'm sure they'll sell you their turbo if you're custom tuning and that they're not responsible for what happens to the turbo or your engine ;)

IS20+JB4 combo is perfect for the sportwagon. Won't break the bank and be pretty darn reliable. Get both used and you can be in for like $500-$600 if you install yourself.

I just upgraded my IC last month. I've been running the IS20/APR+JB4/stock DP setup for almost 10k miles with no problems on the stock IC. Of course your driving style will play a part. The stock IC is more than enough for aggressive passing, or smacking down an integra in mexico.
It's enough to hang with a lightly modded EVO X in mexico. Ask me how I know. ;) It's a good solid safe and fun setup. The IS20 is great for pulling a loaded wagon up mountains too.

I almost talked myself out of wanting to upgrade there. ;)

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I’ve been running the OEM IS20 and APR IS20 93oct tune in my 2017 DSG GSW4 for the past 25K miles without a single issue, knock on wood. Car runs consistent 12.6-12.7s in the 1/4 with the stock DP and intercooler and doesn’t need any hack job Mickey Mouse devices that trick the ECU either. It has gone a GPS verified 166 MPH.

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an Alltrack on 91 with an APR stage 1 (in mild bay area). One thing that bums me out: there is now a greater difference between boost and no-boost, so the car isn't a very rewarding driving experience when you need something inbetween. I also find the power to be inconsistent, but I don't think it is necessarily heat soak. I have an IS20 in the garage and I am wondering - does the IS20 help with off-the-line torque? Or does it make the off-on power delivery even worse?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It's a turbo car, so the excitement will never come instantly, it's the buildup and relentless power that follows that's satisfying. A bigger turbo makes the bad parts worse and the good parts MUCH better.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
It's tuned for being a family wagon so off the line it's going to be smooth by design. If you want no lag off the line then you use launch control. That's what it's for.

I have an Alltrack on 91 with an APR stage 1 (in mild bay area). One thing that bums me out: there is now a greater difference between boost and no-boost, so the car isn't a very rewarding driving experience when you need something inbetween. I also find the power to be inconsistent, but I don't think it is necessarily heat soak. I have an IS20 in the garage and I am wondering - does the IS20 help with off-the-line torque? Or does it make the off-on power delivery even worse?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Are you driving it in sport mode? Set the throttle to normal if you're using sport.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
L380x entry level IS38 replacement posted on the Littco website, available as a complete turbo or supercore.

https://www.littco.co.uk/l380x-hybrid-54-p.asp

Question is, if I put it in my cart and purchase it, will Dan ship it to me under warranty for a 1.8T? Interested to read reviews about the L380 & TPC20 currently incoming on this forum
The price is great. Buy it buy it! ;)

I probably won't be purchasing until after November. Maybe this will be my early Christmas present to myself. Hehe.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I’m also considering buying around the holiday season, but if I see some good reviews could snag one a little earlier. Littco’s L380x offering retains the stock shaft and IS38 housing, while the TPC20 uses the IS20 housing and upgraded Mitsubishi TD06 CHRA (similar to the German LM440, IS20 hybrid with TD05 CHRA, popular in Europe). Probably a toss up between the two. Is the TPC pricing ($1750 without trade in) in USD? L380x complete turbo comes in at $1284!

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Oh man that's a really good price, just a damn shame about the apparent uncertainty surrounding how well the l30x will play with the over the shelf tunes. Custom tuning for 1.8 leaves a touch to be desired compare to the 2.0.

Last edited:

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
L380x entry level IS38 replacement posted on the Littco website, available as a complete turbo or supercore.

https://www.littco.co.uk/l380x-hybrid-54-p.asp

Question is, if I put it in my cart and purchase it, will Dan ship it to me under warranty for a 1.8T? Interested to read reviews about the L380 & TPC20 currently incoming on this forum

If you do, let us know how it goes!

"We sell this as a complete turbo or as the Supercore ( compressor cover and core ) so is an ideal replacement for the stock turbo."

The ad says this but according to what he told me in an e-mail, he doesn't recommend it (and won't warranty it) for OTS map :(. I'd love to run this in the wagon.