GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 GSW 1.8T 4Motion Turbo Upgrade Options

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I’d appreciate any recommendations/experiences people have with turbo upgrades for the GSW/AT. I was initially thinking IS20 with UM/ED/APR tune, but have read with interest about some available IS20 hybrids (Littco, TPC20).

The car is my DD and I plan to keep it long term, so overall reliability and longevity led me to look into hybrids with upgraded internals. I don’t plan to drag/track/redline, but am looking for a much more enjoyable driving experience (fun dad wagen). I also live in Southern California, so i’m reluctant to add a downpipe due to CARB/emissions reasons. Rs7 plugs, an Intercooler (possibly) and eventually a clutch (once it slips with the added power) would be future additional mods.

Currently running stock exhaust, stock gutted intake with the popular mods, MSS Sport Adjustable springs, aftermarket wheels/tires/spacers, Golf R RSB.

Would the L38x/L430/L450/other available IS38 hybrids require a downpipe? Should I just run a used OEM IS20 with a tune/JB4 and call it good? Send an IS20 into Littco or TPC to upgrade? I’m not looking to make max power or best any track times, just get into the 300+ HP/TQ ballpark with a turbo that isn’t itching to implode. Thanks!

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
I've had both the IS20 and now IS38 on my Alltrack, both controlled by a JB4 with the stock downpipe. My recommendation is to go IS20 and JB4, get the eBay magic/majesty intercooler and call it a day. Wagon will be totally transformed and tons of fun

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for your reply. JB4/IS20/stock DP seems like a safe bet and many people have gone this route.

Someone on the Vortex forum did the IS20 swap with APR stock DP IS20 software and installed a Golf R downpipe. Is there any performance benefit to the 5mm size increase in diameter for the stock GSW vs Golf R DP? No CEL is a perk vs aftermarket DP's (seems like AWE, IE, or MAP GESI are the most reliable non-CEL options). APR & ED have base IS20 files that work with a stock DP. United Motorsport claims around 295hp/315TQ with stock DP and no emissions issues. Reflect Tuning makes 280whp with his software, without any emissions concerns on this setup and nicer looking torque band all at 20psi. Also great options.

However, the more I read about IS20 hybrids with their upgraded internals, the more interest I have in this route (with an aftermarket DP, upgraded IC, and eventually clutch). Can the 1.8T engine handle Stage 1 Golf R levels of HP/TQ with stock fueling/internals? What else might need to be upgraded to prevent issues down the line on pump fuel? Tuning options for a hybrid IS20 would probably be limited to United Motorsport or ED Maestro at this time on the 1.8T platform...

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
No need for fuel,pump upgrades with IS20 or IS38. Definitely get an inter cooler and. If you haven't gotten a new clutch and mounts yet you will need to. You can see that this all gets quite expensive after Stage 1. Stage 1 gains are huge yet affordable, delving deeper costs more money and you will not see the big HP gains per dollar like you saw with Stage one. Would I do it over again? I'd say yes!

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Good to hear, I’m looking forward to giving this car a little more juice.

Sounds like one step colder plugs, IC, +\- DP & mounts are the recommended supporting mods for this kind of swap. Add the clutch when it goes...

Has anyone here tried a hybrid IS20 or IS38 on an Alltrack or Sportwagen yet?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Keep it simple. IS20 or IS38, APR or similar tune, downpipe and an intake if you like to hear some turbo noise.

Hybrids won't play well with such tunes and you can run out of fueling.

As for IS20 vs. IS38, the 38 is a blast if you like to wind out the gears, IS20 will have more bottom end.

AWE's downpipe will pass the sniff test, combined with APR's non-test pipe tune, aside from the visual inspection, you'll pass. Or you could pick up a used R factory downpipe, gut the first cat and play with spacers to pass the sniffer.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
No sniffer in CA, just a visual inspection and OBDII plugin.

So to pass smog (in 8 years), I would either have to swap out an aftermarket DP to stock, or find a tune-friendly smog shop and play that game. Which would be necessary anyways with any IC upgrade other than Neuspeed (CARB approved).

Seems people aren’t super interested in hybrid turbo offerings for the 1.8T. Many of them are marketed to play nicely with stock fueling; with a conservative tune, would that still be an issue with our cars (given the smaller engine)? I’m not looking to break any records, but Stage 1 Golf numbers seem within reach already with OEM IS38’s and a JB4 or an OTS tune. Is that a realistic goal with a hybrid and customized tune with Maestro or UM?

I’m mostly concerned with the reliability of the OEM turbos. Boost surge issues with the IS38’s, early IS20 failures. But if that’s not an issue, they’re certainly more attainable and affordable than the hybrids out there with beefed up failure-prone OEM components.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
No sniffer in CA, just a visual inspection and OBDII plugin.

So to pass smog (in 8 years), I would either have to swap out an aftermarket DP to stock, or find a tune-friendly smog shop and play that game. Which would be necessary anyways with any IC upgrade other than Neuspeed (CARB approved).

Seems people aren’t super interested in hybrid turbo offerings for the 1.8T. Many of them are marketed to play nicely with stock fueling; with a conservative tune, would that still be an issue with our cars (given the smaller engine)? I’m not looking to break any records, but Stage 1 Golf numbers seem within reach already with OEM IS38’s and a JB4 or an OTS tune. Is that a realistic goal with a hybrid and customized tune with Maestro or UM?

I’m mostly concerned with the reliability of the OEM turbos. Boost surge issues with the IS38’s, early IS20 failures. But if that’s not an issue, they’re certainly more attainable and affordable than the hybrids out there with beefed up failure-prone OEM components.

If you want to get the most out of a hybrid, you need to upgrade the fueling to MPI.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I don’t doubt fueling upgrades might be necessary to squeeze every last bit of power out of a hybrid turbo.

But what if you just want a (at least theoretically) more reliable turbo than OEM IS20 or 38, and make HP/TQ numbers in the ballpark of what current OTS tuners are doing with the OEM turbos? Conservatively tune a hybrid with stock fueling? Take a chance with a used IS20 or 38 and hope it lasts? Take that used turbo and get it rebuilt/balanced/P&P by Gpop/Littco/TPC for peace of mind?

I’ve never done anything like this before, so I’m interested in the advice of people here with way more experience! Thanks for your input so far.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
I don’t doubt fueling upgrades might be necessary to squeeze every last bit of power out of a hybrid turbo.

But what if you just want a (at least theoretically) more reliable turbo than OEM IS20 or 38, and make HP/TQ numbers in the ballpark of what current OTS tuners are doing with the OEM turbos? Conservatively tune a hybrid with stock fueling? Take a chance with a used IS20 or 38 and hope it lasts? Take that used turbo and get it rebuilt/balanced/P&P by Gpop/Littco/TPC for peace of mind?

I’ve never done anything like this before, so I’m interested in the advice of people here with way more experience! Thanks for your input so far.

There's no point to a hybrid without fuel. It will be laggy. I would not bother with GPop either. The IS38 will be fine as you can not fully max it out on stock Golf fueling.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
There's nothing wrong with the OEM turbos if you're just looking to make off the shelf amounts of power (< 350 whp). As BFI said, bigger turbos will be laggy, so you only want one if you're looking to make big power. I wouldn't describe buying a used IS20/IS38 as risky in the slightest, just make sure to get a revision from build date mid 2015 or later and the reliability is a complete non-issue (And don't buy one that's a takeoff from a blown engine, though that's super rare).

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I haven't heard of many IS38 F revision failures, possibly only one here. As far as rebuilt turbos, Litto's improved design seems pretty solid, too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah the only aftermarket turob I'd jump on for the 1.8 would be littco's l380. It's basically an is38 with an upgraded bearing so a touch more resilient. Probably a bit overkill for what the 1.8 tunes call for but hey, it's just that little bit tougher.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yeah the only aftermarket turob I'd jump on for the 1.8 would be littco's l380. It's basically an is38 with an upgraded bearing so a touch more resilient. Probably a bit overkill for what the 1.8 tunes call for but hey, it's just that little bit tougher.
Is he selling the L380 yet??