GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 Euro tail lights - is it okay to have?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Passing or failing will depend on the inspection station, but it is a fail able offense. With that being said, swapping tailights on the mk7 is one of the easiest tail swaps in recent memory. Nothing hard about it.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Hello bob. From whom did you buy those taillights? How easy to install? Any custom harness required? Any coding required?

Sorry for the questions but I would appreciate you sharing some info before I go ahead and spend money on this.

Thx in advance.

Claude.
2019 GTI in Canada
Hey Claude -- I got them off ebay; part #s are 5G0945095Q and 5G0945096Q. They were very easy to install, the old ones just unscrew out and these go in their place. You do need a harness (@ZERO815 makes them and is amazing to work with) but you can also just re-pin two wires in the connector pretty easily as well if you're comfortable with it. Some coding was required but I was able to do it all with OBD11 (and the aforementioned Zero's great instructions on how to do so.)

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
You can just buy tails that have a resistor pre wired in so they are just plug and play and require no coding whatsoever. That is what I have on my mk6:

Last edited:

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Ordered one. Although I really don't like make a situation not being able to pass the inspection, this was one that I "really" wanted to have on my car..
I usually go to VW dealership for all services, but it seems that I need to find a local shop for the inspection.

I'm in Bethlehem area. Anyone knows good shop for inspection?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
It's illegal because they're not DOT marked. The sweeping signal in particular doesn't meet DOT regs for lit area at first turn on. Also side marker regs. I turn off the sweep when bringing it in for inspection, haven't had a problem in 4 years.
This is the one thing I don't get... because Audi's have them, my wife's Q5 and almost every one I see in the streets have the sweeping turns, the only difference is that in the US the light is red instead of amber.

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
It's illegal because they're not DOT marked. The sweeping signal in particular doesn't meet DOT regs for lit area at first turn on. Also side marker regs. I turn off the sweep when bringing it in for inspection, haven't had a problem in 4 years.
How do you turn on/off sweep? Is it one that easily can be done in OBD Eleven?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
This is the one thing I don't get... because Audi's have them, my wife's Q5 and almost every one I see in the streets have the sweeping turns, the only difference is that in the US the light is red instead of amber.
It's because the Audis flash a full signal along with the sweep

Grey Hare1

Hey Claude -- I got them off ebay; part #s are 5G0945095Q and 5G0945096Q. They were very easy to install, the old ones just unscrew out and these go in their place. You do need a harness (@ZERO815 makes them and is amazing to work with) but you can also just re-pin two wires in the connector pretty easily as well if you're comfortable with it. Some coding was required but I was able to do it all with OBD11 (and the aforementioned Zero's great instructions on how to do so.)
Thx bob. Much appreciated.

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Yep, this is correct.

Adaptation. It's whatever one you set to "100% dynamic" depending on your wiring.
Is it possible to set both turn signals statically when emergency lights on? (while maintaning individual turn signals dynamically)

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI

1:02:50. Does anyone know what's the exact name of the tool on the video? I have nothing for now.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW