GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Does it matter if I Use a 791A or 791B cluster? Seller said the only difference is manufacturing date.

And do you guys have any experience with a cockpit off Aliexpress? not the knockoff, Im talking about Chinese OEM.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Does it matter if I Use a 791A or 791B cluster? Seller said the only difference is manufacturing date.

And do you guys have any experience with a cockpit off Aliexpress? not the knockoff, Im talking about Chinese OEM.
Yes the manufacture date is different. The B units were manufactured later... So they have later software/hardware revision. There is no guarantee an A unit can be upgraded to a B, if you care about that.

If you have a later Mk7 the B unit is the better choice. Can't help with regard to the Chinese OEM units.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
The install I just completed was with a B unit from China via AliExpress. Dealer had no issues coding it for Imo/CP.

From what I understand, if you have a mk7.5, the B version is the way to go. Price difference is not worth going for the earlier HW/SW.

Specifically, the part I purchased was 5G1 920 791B

Last edited:

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
@mannymoda Are you positive these faults were but present (even intermittently) before the AID?

If so... go through your AID long coding (with experimental) and then through adaptations as well, noting anything you see that has to do with ACC and Emergency Stopping... Almost certainly something is coded as not installed or not active.

I am positive that these faults were not present prior to the AID install.

I will go through the coding again. Must be a rogue bit somewhere in there :)

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Erase it from your mind, as I have! You shouldn't be touching that anyway since the power symbol still rotates. Be civilized and use the steering wheel controls.
Or do what I did which is replace the volume knob on your screen with the tuner knob (sans symbol) from a different screen!

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Hey just want to report my experience with this install.

Model: 2018 Golf GTI SE NAR

Parts:
5G1 920 891B - display
5G0 857 189B AAH - trim

I also had a straight through fiber cable courtesy of @bobloblawGTI but actually ended up not using it since I do not have navigation or fender audio. If anyone wants it, I’ll pay it forward with just cost of shipping.

Rented vas5054a obd tool from @brownnugen

Programmed by @simaservis1108
Keys, mileage, component protection
Highly recommended if you can get your hands on a vas5054a obd tool and save the hassle with a dealer bumbling it. Just need a laptop with a usb port and decent internet connection.

Overall, pretty happy with it so far.

Some tips:

When putting the left air vent trim back, the vent may have sagged back into the dash so open the side panel where the fuses are to be able to push it back up and support it while fitting the trim back.

If using torx bits with extensions if you don't have a solid screwdriver set, use some electrical tape to secure the extension so it doesn’t fall into the steering wheel column (ask me how I know).

No need to open glovebox or right side panel if not running fiber to mib.

Last edited:

mattjewell

Car(s)
MK7.5
Did this retrofit back in October successfully. Is there a way to change duration of the cockpit staying on, say if I open a car door? It feels as if the screen stays on for too long. I have OBDEleven.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Did this retrofit back in October successfully. Is there a way to change duration of the cockpit staying on, say if I open a car door? It feels as if the screen stays on for too long. I have OBDEleven.
I don't think it's any different than the old dash in that regard. It's on to show that a door, the hood, or the hatch is open. The only difference is now it's that whole screen instead of just a little middle section. How long is too long?

mattjewell

Car(s)
MK7.5
I don't think it's any different than the old dash in that regard. It's on to show that a door, the hood, or the hatch is open. The only difference is now it's that whole screen instead of just a little middle section. How long is too long?
I’d say somewhere between 3-4 minutes and the gauges are displayed the entire time. Can’t be good on the battery.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I guess I would have to time mine, but I don't think it's going to be an issue for your battery. This cluster (not this exact one, but a digital cluster) is factory installed in lots of cars across the VAG product line. Yours is the first concern about it draining the battery that I've come across.

I run a lithium battery and can't say I'm connected concerned about the cluster staying on too long. And it has significantly less stand by power than a factory battery.

Last edited:

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
I think it's just the fact it's more noticeable.

I thought the same thing when I first swapped the cluster, in that it stayed on for too long.
But the only difference is instead of the tiny MFD in the original, it's the whole screen now.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Decided to take some pictures of the interior. And I gotta say, I love having the digital dash.

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg