GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

The Creator

Car(s)
Golf GTI SE
I got a 2015 GTI. Was planning on upgrading to MIB 2.5 with 9.2 screen and AID cluster. I really like the centered gauge layout in the mk8 with the one big gauge (tach/speed) both in the middle. Is it possible to get this gauge layout on MIB 2.5/AID? or is this only possible with MK8 hardware. If it's the latter, is it possible to retrofit MIB3 and MK8 AID into mk7?

MK8 GTI Guage.jpg

MK8 GTI Guage 2.jpg

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Probably very unlikely. I think it has been mentioned before, but the MIB3 gets constant over the air updates from VW and such. It's also locked down way more than the MIB2.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It doesn't look exactly like that, but you can get aftermarket Chinese units that will do the larger center tach layout.

The Creator

Car(s)
Golf GTI SE
Probably very unlikely. I think it has been mentioned before, but the MIB3 gets constant over the air updates from VW and such. It's also locked down way more than the MIB2.
It doesn't look exactly like that, but you can get aftermarket Chinese units that will do the larger center tach layout.

Thanks for the replies. Not interested in going the Chinese route. Guess I'll just stick with the normal mk7.5 layout.

The Creator

Car(s)
Golf GTI SE
has anyone in this thread done this swap and can recommend a VW dealership for the coding? I'm in Tennessee, but willing to drive a bit. Would feel way better going somewhere that I know has successfully done this before since it's not exactly a standard service.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Any dealership should be able to do this swap.
What happens when a normal instrument cluster has problems and needs replacing? They ordering a new one, swap it in, match it car and keys. Same thing here, just the cluster is a different part number.

I had mine (Mk7 GSW TDI) done at my local dealership, which had never done this before (tech was actually really keen to do it because he'd never done it before). I think total cost was like $240CAD - basically 1.5hrs of labour.

The Creator

Car(s)
Golf GTI SE
Any dealership should be able to do this swap.
What happens when a normal instrument cluster has problems and needs replacing? They ordering a new one, swap it in, match it car and keys. Same thing here, just the cluster is a different part number.

I had mine (Mk7 GSW TDI) done at my local dealership, which had never done this before (tech was actually really keen to do it because he'd never done it before). I think total cost was like $240CAD - basically 1.5hrs of labour.
I've heard some dealerships wont do it, because it technically doesn't belong in this car. If you were just replacing a damaged one in a mk7.5 car, then obviously that would be normal. Even then, I doubt they really have to replace these often. I've also seen other people on this forum say dealership made mistakes with coding, and forgetting to match mileage. Just thought I'd check if there was a dealership not too far from me where they've actually done this swap before.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've heard some dealerships wont do it, because it technically doesn't belong in this car. If you were just replacing a damaged one in a mk7.5 car, then obviously that would be normal. Even then, I doubt they really have to replace these often. I've also seen other people on this forum say dealership made mistakes with coding, and forgetting to match mileage. Just thought I'd check if there was a dealership not too far from me where they've actually done this swap before.

If you can get your hands on a VAS5054, you can have it done remotely. @simaservis1108 did mine (and others around here), way less than a dealer would charge, and done flawlessly.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
If you can get your hands on a VAS5054, you can have it done remotely. @simaservis1108 did mine (and others around here), way less than a dealer would charge, and done flawlessly.

This 100%. I went to a dealer that was willing to do it and had even done one before mine. So I drove 2 hours and was there for about 3 and they couldn’t get it figured out. I left with component protection still active. @simaservis1108 took care if it within 5 mins. I would not hesitate to use his services in the future.

The Creator

Car(s)
Golf GTI SE
This 100%. I went to a dealer that was willing to do it and had even done one before mine. So I drove 2 hours and was there for about 3 and they couldn’t get it figured out. I left with component protection still active. @simaservis1108 took care if it within 5 mins. I would not hesitate to use his services in the future.

Cool thanks for the advice. I just searched google. It appears there are different versions. These are 3 I found here, here, and here. Is there anything specific I need to look for, does it matter which one I get? Also just to make sure, It doesn't matter where i source the AID unit from does it? I know with the MIB units there are hacked versus unhacked ones you can get. I was planning on getting everything from eruozonetuning. For the actual AID, they say it's new. I think the MIB units/screens are salvaged from other vehicles. Also, is @simaservis1108 able to match the odometer mileage to make it accurate? Thanks.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Cool thanks for the advice. I just searched google. It appears there are different versions. These are 3 I found here, here, and here. Is there anything specific I need to look for, does it matter which one I get? Also just to make sure, It doesn't matter where i source the AID unit from does it? I know with the MIB units there are hacked versus unhacked ones you can get. I was planning on getting everything from eruozonetuning. For the actual AID, they say it's new. I think the MIB units/screens are salvaged from other vehicles. Also, is @simaservis1108 able to match the odometer mileage to make it accurate? Thanks.

I don't believe it matters about the VAS5054, but I'll wait for someone smarter than myself to chime in.

The AID, as long as it's new, it doesn't matter where it comes from. I ordered mine from VWCarPart.com, which is the online sales portion of a VW dealer in NJ. I paid $1,150 for the AID and trim ~9 months ago, it looks like it's gone up about $100 since then. EZT is legit, but you can usually save some money shopping around and piecing things together yourself.

Yep, @simaservis1108 will match the odometer. Pairs the keys, takes care of all the coding, etc... A one stop shop for everything. He even fixed the unimportant background error I had for upgrading to the 8" glass screen, without me asking him to do so 🤣

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I just used a clone off eBay but things are constantly updating with the VW ODIS system so to be safe I’d reach out to @simaservis1108 and get his recommendation.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
the AID should be fine as long as it's new so the odometer can be programmed to the correct mileage. the part number does matter. there are 4 variants. 791A or 791B, 891A or 891B. for a 2015, maybe a 791A would work but if you're upgrading MIB then maybe you want the B. check with simaservis1108 beforehand