GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That's why you do what I have done... leave the trim out and you can pull the dash in a couple minutes, 2 screws and the connector. Then you can run the mileage up everynight while you sleep.

Full disclosure, my trim is removed... but I haven't got setup to work yet, still 🤦‍♂️.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
@madwazzabi My arrows still don't zoom in/out 😭. Although I'm wondering if it has to do with MFSW button coding, which has no defined description when using ODIS or long coding helper in VCDS.
Damn, was hoping by the time I get back from this deployment someone would’ve figured it out.

So you think if someone transplanted the steering wheel buttons that come from an R with the view button it might work?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Damn, was hoping by the time I get back from this deployment someone would’ve figured it out.

So you think if someone transplanted the steering wheel buttons that come from an R with the view button it might work?
I think it's just coding of the buttons. I suppose instead of finding out the coding you could just swap buttons but that seems the more difficult/expensive route.

I've tried the coding from a few of the later VW's with touch buttons. Problem is nobody's really posting about what their arrows do 😂.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Out of curiosity, if you have ODIS with online access, is there a reason to have to go the dealer or use a remote coder? It seems like the cluster replacement is a guided function so I am wondering if I could do it myself...

Having trouble finding good documentation around the ODIS stuff so it's possible that I am missing something (perhaps Brakes/ABS complexities after the swap?).

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Out of curiosity, if you have ODIS with online access, is there a reason to have to go the dealer or use a remote coder? It seems like the cluster replacement is a guided function so I am wondering if I could do it myself...

Having trouble finding good documentation around the ODIS stuff so it's possible that I am missing something (perhaps Brakes/ABS complexities after the swap?).
For me the difference was that the new dash was able to be registered to my vin and activated without disabling component protection which is only possible with dealer level tools that connect to vw hq for approval. I used a remote coder. Definitely cheaper and more knowledgeable than a random dealer that may have never done it before

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Seems like i can only get the B revision where i live, anyway to confirm my car will work properly with it?

It's a 2015 btw

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I would not expect that you would find an A version anymore, be it 791 or 891. For whatever it's worth I'm now running B in my 2015.

But a 100% confirmation is not something you're likely to find. It doesn't belong in your car after all 😬

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ok, then what compatibility issues should i expect when installing the B revision on my 2015? After all for older cars It's recommended to install the A Version (from what i know).

Last edited:

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Ok, then what compatibility issues should i expect when installing the B revision on my 2015? After all for older cars It's recommended to install the A Version (from what i know).
Cuzoe is correct, the AID didn’t even exist in 2015. Can only speak from my experience in IT/software, but generally speaking newer updates tend to retain backwards compatibility so they can be installed on older devices (to a point.) As Cuzoe said, he’s running B software on a 2015 with no issue. Anecdotally I’ve also never heard of anyone having an issue with newer software on an older car (only the other way around, as was my experience.) But with all that said, there’s no way to guarantee no issue. Maybe try to source the part from a place with a decent return policy if you’re concerned?

Last edited:

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
When I had the AID1 (791A) installed, my understanding from the VW master tech's explantation of the digital instrument cluster is that the reason you can theoretically retrofit the cluster is that the functional hardware is essentially the same in both the analog and the digital clusters, with only the real difference is the way the information is displayed. Part of this reasoning was based upon the ability to use the dealer ODIS-E to adapt the cluster to the car without any barriers.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I suspect part of the "use the A on older cars" isn't so much a recommendation as much as just how things happened. The A's were the only thing available at first (obviously, haha) so earlier cars all had the A version. There is a non-lettered version that we won't speak of, that I believe does not have the ability show maps. As VW transitioned from A's to B's it was found that cars of a certain newness had issues with the A's. At that time you could probably still get A's, and they were probably less expensive than a B.

So for those doing this retrofit the sentiment became "Get an A for an older car (because we know it work and it's probably cheaper) while you must get a B for newer cars." Updating from A to B is not a proposition that makes much sense. You're buying another cluster, or spending the 8 hours for nothing, most likely. Now you can only get the B, which will likely be fine. If there are issues I would bet you could sell a used, low-mileage B for very near what you paid for it.

As an example of VW getting rid of old letter versions in their inventory, and also not removing them from inventory once sold out... When I went to order the camera module for 360 Areaview VW still listed a B version as available, and it was discounted to something silly like $130. The C was available, not yet discounted and the D was available and current. Both the C and D were over $400. I tried ordering the B from at least 5 places, knowing I could update the software to C or D myself. All eventually responded that they were no longer available.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
quick question, after my retro fit, the programmer had set the display to use the graphic for the 2 door gti. I figured out how to change it to the 4 door variant with obd11, so I can have rear door indicator when they're open. it is however, the base golf model. is there a different graphic for the gti? or they all use the golf graphic? can tell from the exhaust/valence.

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpeg
    IMG_2362.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68