GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Only the component protection fault on 17 - Instruments. Odd that everything would be working and still have that fault, unless there is something you haven't checked that is not working. For the radio system you get no sound, but I don't know how component protection impacts the dash/instrument cluster.

Have you tried clearing all faults, not just 17 -Instruments? Could be just be lingering.
Yeah it’s certainly strange. I would think the fault would say active instead of no basic setting when I read it. Yes I’ve done a complete fault code erase of every module as well as just the 17 and it comes back instantly.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Not really much of an update due to lack of info out there. Seems I’m the only one with this specific issue. I did use VCDS and run an output test for component protection in the 17 instrument module. The cluster went into component protection. Tons of faults and the cluster switched from dim to bright rapidly. I did a key cycle and everything was back to normal. The fault still however remains. When I ran the test I did set a fault for component protection active which cleared after a key cycle. Just can’t get rid of the component protection no basic setting fault.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Not really much of an update due to lack of info out there. Seems I’m the only one with this specific issue. I did use VCDS and run an output test for component protection in the 17 instrument module. The cluster went into component protection. Tons of faults and the cluster switched from dim to bright rapidly. I did a key cycle and everything was back to normal. The fault still however remains. When I ran the test I did set a fault for component protection active which cleared after a key cycle. Just can’t get rid of the component protection no basic setting fault.
Is there any possibility of maybe taking it another dealership to attempt to remove the component protection?

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Is there any possibility of maybe taking it another dealership to attempt to remove the component protection?
Yes I’ve certainly tossed that idea around. I’m also looking into a remote session. Also strongly looking at the capability of just getting everything to do it myself. That way I can offer it to others as to not have to go through headaches like this.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Just wanted to update this even though I doubt others will run into the same issue. I had @simaservis1108 check my car out remotely and he was able to solve the issue within 10 mins by just running component protection removal on the cluster. The dealer I’m guessing just didn’t know what to do which is odd because this was the second time doing this type of retrofit. I unfortunately would not recommend KingVW for retrofits. The guys there were very friendly and did try but ended up costing me a lot more money. I guess live and learn. I will be going to @simaservis1108 for future needs.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately you got the short straw of someone (the dealer) doing something they have done before but might not fully understand yet. It also doesn't help that VW, like many places, has moved towards automating tasks/procedures to reduce training costs (and to a lesser extent to reduce errors) at the expense of having techs out there that really know how some of this stuff works.

My car spent the better part of the month, and multiple visits, for them to get a BCM replacement right. And I bought the BCM from them, the one they pulled up in ETKA for my car. This was a completely "on book" task and I had to explain to the service advisor and two technicians that long coding was not the same as adaptation mapping. None of them had a clue what I was on about... even when I sent them the differences output comparing my admap from before I dropped the car off to the one I took in the parking lot when I picked it up (the first time).

Went to turn on the headlights that night and got several dashboard errors for the lights. Looked at some of the adaptations and saw that my BCM was adapted for a car with the lighting package. Took it back, told the tech that adaptations needed to be done. About a week later I get a call back and they tried to explain to me that different cars come equipped with different equipment and that my new High BCM was from a car with lighting package and there was nothing else they could do since the long coding matched.

It was lost on them that different cars coming with different equipment is the exact reason for adaptations, hence why it had to be done.

Of course, if they followed the guided function from start to finish it would have been taken care of. Not only had they not followed the guided function, they didn't have any real idea what they guided functions were doing.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately you got the short straw of someone (the dealer) doing something they have done before but might not fully understand yet. It also doesn't help that VW, like many places, has moved towards automating tasks/procedures to reduce training costs (and to a lesser extent to reduce errors) at the expense of having techs out there that really know how some of this stuff works.

My car spent the better part of the month, and multiple visits, for them to get a BCM replacement right. And I bought the BCM from them, the one they pulled up in ETKA for my car. This was a completely "on book" task and I had to explain to the service advisor and two technicians that long coding was not the same as adaptation mapping. None of them had a clue what I was on about... even when I sent them the differences output comparing my admap from before I dropped the car off to the one I took in the parking lot when I picked it up (the first time).

Went to turn on the headlights that night and got several dashboard errors for the lights. Looked at some of the adaptations and saw that my BCM was adapted for a car with the lighting package. Took it back, told the tech that adaptations needed to be done. About a week later I get a call back and they tried to explain to me that different cars come equipped with different equipment and that my new High BCM was from a car with lighting package and there was nothing else they could do since the long coding matched.

It was lost on them that different cars coming with different equipment is the exact reason for adaptations, hence why it had to be done.

Of course, if they followed the guided function from start to finish it would have been taken care of. Not only had they not followed the guided function, they didn't have any real idea what they guided functions were doing.
Yes I completely agree with you. The tech even mentioned it’s all done online now and they have little control over things. Still I would have much preferred a “no sorry we aren’t comfortable doing that” instead of a “yeah sure it’s just like replacing a regular cluster”.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, just a random question, how difficult is it to retrofit a USED digital cluster?

Is it even needed to change the odometer to match my car?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No difference between a used and new as far as coding/adaptation/CP. You don't have to match the odometer to your car. Mine was new and doesn't match because the dealer didn't match it (and I didn't catch it soon it enough 🤦‍♂️). No impact to having the miles not match, just have to be careful if you have a shop work on the car that they don't report the incorrect mileage (if your cluster has less miles than the car). The mismatch would show in CarFax report. If you don't plan to sell it's no big deal. I have a sticky note in the glovebox that says Actual mileage is odometer + xx miles (from when I had the AID installed). I stick it to the dash when I bring it in for any work, hasn't been a problem for the dealer or any shop yet.

IF you're gonna have the dealer do it they may push back more because it's a used cluster, but it's an off-book task for them anyway so shouldn't matter.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
No difference between a used and new as far as coding/adaptation/CP. You don't have to match the odometer to your car. Mine was new and doesn't match because the dealer didn't match it (and I didn't catch it soon it enough 🤦‍♂️). No impact to having the miles not match, just have to be careful if you have a shop work on the car that they don't report the incorrect mileage (if your cluster has less miles than the car). The mismatch would show in CarFax report. If you don't plan to sell it's no big deal. I have a sticky note in the glovebox that says Actual mileage is odometer + xx miles (from when I had the AID installed). I stick it to the dash when I bring it in for any work, hasn't been a problem for the dealer or any shop yet.

IF you're gonna have the dealer do it they may push back more because it's a used cluster, but it's an off-book task for them anyway so shouldn't matter.
After a bit of research i found a tool that tricks the odometer to think that the car is driving, and the odometer goes up slowly, you just leave it there until it has reached the desired mileage.
If you need the tool pm me.

and what about the fuel level? Heard it could be a problem, the cluster i will buy is from a 1.5 TSI, but the car only cares if it was a petrol, diesel or electric right? So TSI should be fine

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure about putting the AID in an e-Golf, but petrol vs diesel makes no difference. Mine in a TDI is the same part number being used in the GTI/R.

If your gateway software is older you could have some type of fault, range calculation error or something like that. It has been talked about earlier in the thread.

I have that tool 😁, no bench harness yet though.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not sure about putting the AID in an e-Golf, but petrol vs diesel makes no difference. Mine in a TDI is the same part number being used in the GTI/R.

If your gateway software is older you could have some type of fault, range calculation error or something like that. It has been talked about earlier in the thread.

I have that tool 😁, no bench harness yet though.
Oh, will have to check my gateway.

do you know if that tool can be used with vas5054a? Or maybe a cloned hex v2 vcds?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hey, just a random question, how difficult is it to retrofit a USED digital cluster?

Is it even needed to change the odometer to match my car?
A bit harder than it once used to be now. You require pre authorisation from VAG before the IMMO can be adapted.

Mileage can be increased on the bench but not decreased.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
A bit harder than it once used to be now. You require pre authorisation from VAG before the IMMO can be adapted.

Mileage can be increased on the bench but not decreased.
What do you mean by pre authorization? How can i do that? Isnt it as simple as installing the cluster, removing cp, adapting immo and coding?