GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Do you know what coding or adaptation sets this? In following the coding of others I changed display depiction from Version 1 to Version 2 (I have also tried Version 1, 3 and 4, still no map) but I don't see any other setting to select MOST or CAN.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I must have been mistaken, been a few months since I did mine.

Have you done all of these:

Dashboard_Display_Configuration-ability_switch_nav_maps ---> On
Dashboard_Display_Configuration-call_picture ---> On
Dashboard_Display_Configuration-fastlist_most ---> On
Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_compression_mode ---> H264
Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_transmission_mode ---> MOST_streaming

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yes I did those in the 5f adaptations. That gave me the button, it's just grayed out for some reason.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Anybody looking for a digital cluster with around 300 miles on their car (or that isn't fussed about the odometer being correct) shoot me a PM. I will let it go for half of the lowest ice you can find new online.

Begin rant...

So... car is at the dealership, they were going to attempt to fix the mileage issue. I did tell them that it was most certainly not going to work. It did not... no surprise there. I was told that when attempting to change the mileage they receive an error.

They interpreted that error as their tool not being able to update mileage on this type of cluster. I suggested to them, somewhat strongly, that the correct interpretation of the error is that you cannot update mileage on a cluster that isn't new. And having driven 100+ miles my cluster is no longer new. I tried to explain that their interpretation doesn't make sense because this same cluster is on a Golf R in their showroom. I asked what would happen if the cluster on that Golf R failed a month into the ownership. No response.

As my car is over 27,000 miles I asked what would happen now when I bring my car in for the 30,000 mile service and my dash shows somewhere around 3,000. No response there either. I have VW care through 90k. If they are willing to start my VW care over again maybe this is a win, haha.

Stupidly I only left one key with them when I dropped it off so I'll take the other key tomorrow so they can pair both. I mentioned how much money they are costing me multiple times and they've offered nothing. They are suggesting it's my fault they didn't adjust the mileage because I didn't specifically ask them to do that when I dropped the car off. At the time they didn't even know if they could install a new cluster but agreed to try it for 1hr labor (I dropped the car off with all trim emoved and original cluster unsecured, new cluster in box on the passenger seat). I told them that I knew it needed component protection removed and the keys paired. They took that to mean remove component protection, pair the keys and nothing else. Today the tech said the reason he needs my other key is because setting the mileage is the step that comes after pairing key(s). I'm sure they're going through the guided cluster replacement so I don't know why they stopped at the "set mileage" step the first time. I even told them to call me if it would take longer, I was willing to pay.

Any of you bored people that finished my rant have a clue about my grayed out map switch button?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Anybody looking for a digital cluster with around 300 miles on their car (or that isn't fussed about the odometer being correct) shoot me a PM. I will let it go for half of the lowest ice you can find new online.

Begin rant...

So... car is at the dealership, they were going to attempt to fix the mileage issue. I did tell them that it was most certainly not going to work. It did not... no surprise there. I was told that when attempting to change the mileage they receive an error.

They interpreted that error as their tool not being able to update mileage on this type of cluster. I suggested to them, somewhat strongly, that the correct interpretation of the error is that you cannot update mileage on a cluster that isn't new. And having driven 100+ miles my cluster is no longer new. I tried to explain that their interpretation doesn't make sense because this same cluster is on a Golf R in their showroom. I asked what would happen if the cluster on that Golf R failed a month into the ownership. No response.

As my car is over 27,000 miles I asked what would happen now when I bring my car in for the 30,000 mile service and my dash shows somewhere around 3,000. No response there either. I have VW care through 90k. If they are willing to start my VW care over again maybe this is a win, haha.

Stupidly I only left one key with them when I dropped it off so I'll take the other key tomorrow so they can pair both. I mentioned how much money they are costing me multiple times and they've offered nothing. They are suggesting it's my fault they didn't adjust the mileage because I didn't specifically ask them to do that when I dropped the car off. At the time they didn't even know if they could install a new cluster but agreed to try it for 1hr labor (I dropped the car off with all trim emoved and original cluster unsecured, new cluster in box on the passenger seat). I told them that I knew it needed component protection removed and the keys paired. They took that to mean remove component protection, pair the keys and nothing else. Today the tech said the reason he needs my other key is because setting the mileage is the step that comes after pairing key(s). I'm sure they're going through the guided cluster replacement so I don't know why they stopped at the "set mileage" step the first time. I even told them to call me if it would take longer, I was willing to pay.

Any of you bored people that finished my rant have a clue about my grayed out map switch button?

Sounds like they're incompetent - replacing a cluster is a pretty standard job and includes the odometer change.

Are they getting you a new cluster?

In regards to the greyed out map button, do you have the Navigation window on your cluster? What does it show?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I do have the navigation window in the cluster, and I was able to turn that on/off in the dash long coding. It shows a white depiction of what's coming next. When I get the car back from the dealer today I'll take a picture of it. It's just a nicer looking version of what the standard dash shows for navigation.

They are offering nothing. Although I would agree that they should offer to replace the cluster, at least partially. The problem is that they seem very afraid of replacing anything electronic on the car.

I had them look up the proper highline BCM for my VIN in etka and asked about replacing that along with the highline gateway. In both cases they said they can order it (obviously) but weren't sure if they could install it and get it working in my car. Even though Etka clearly shows it as the replacement for the part number that's in my car. I intend to have those coded remotely unless I can find a more competent dealer.

But the cluster seemed like an easy job. In fact I was going to have it coded remotely but I didn't have a way to keep the battery voltage above 12.5 without the engine running. The VAS connection got flaky on us as the voltage dropped. And I couldn't run the engine because the keys weren't paired yet.

As all these replacement functions are guided, I don't know what this service center would do if a module in a customer's car actually failed. I suspect the customer would be without their vehicle for an extended period. And it's worse because the service center it's at one of the largest VW dealers in Los Angeles.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
damn dude sucks that all happened! They should at least not charge you for labor when activating the second cluster.

I will say, several dealerships won't even attempt any sort of retro-fit, and the ones that do usually do so at the owners risk and claim they are not liable if it doesn't work. So I'm not surprised they are not offering to replace the cluster.

Luckily you caught it in time and it can be fixed, albeit expensive...I really hope I can get Jack to do my coding. I have a battery charger so that won't be an issue, he just hasn't replied to me yet.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I expect they won't charge me the labor for the second new cluster. I'm kind of torn about it because I don't want to go back to them but it's already going to cost me another $900-ish for the new cluster unless somebody wants to buy my current "new" one. So I'll probably have them do it but I'll make sure I'm there through the whole process.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Thanks!

One more (he says, hopefully...) question: When you took the car in, with the hacked MIB2 unit, did you need to have the MIB2 "accessible" - in that it was "readable" by VCDS/ODIS?

The hacked unit I got from APG is "hidden" from scans ("no response from controller" in VCDS parlance) unless I go into the green engineering menu and enable it for the next 3 or 10 starts of the car.

I'm leery about having it "open" when the dealer plugs in ODIS/GEKO, just in case they inadvertently flip some bits or otherwise alter some coding; but at the same time, I want to be sure that all the functionality works.

Hey Nuje, how did your AID retrofit turn out with the hacked MIB2 unit?

I'm asking because in preparation for my AID install, I just bought a used MIB2 with navigation unit on ebay, and I think it might be a hacked unit. I think this because when I put it in my car it doesn't seem to have component protection. Sound, app-connect, and nav all are working after just plugging it in. The downside is I can't scan Info Control Unit - 5f or 47 - Sound System in OBDeleven. They aren't even displayed as control units.

Did this cause any issues with the AID install? What is the green engineering fix you mentioned? I know how to access the menu, not sure where to go from there.

One other oddity is that I do have a component protection active fault in the Gateway, which is odd because I never changed the gateway in my car. and CP on the gateway definitely does not seem active - because ACC and AFS are all working correctly.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hey Nuje, how did your AID retrofit turn out with the hacked MIB2 unit?

I'm asking because in preparation for my AID install, I just bought a used MIB2 with navigation unit on ebay, and I think it might be a hacked unit. I think this because when I put it in my car it doesn't seem to have component protection. Sound, app-connect, and nav all are working after just plugging it in. The downside is I can't scan Info Control Unit - 5f or 47 - Sound System in OBDeleven. They aren't even displayed as control units.

Did this cause any issues with the AID install? What is the green engineering fix you mentioned? I know how to access the menu, not sure where to go from there.

One other oddity is that I do have a component protection active fault in the Gateway, which is odd because I never changed the gateway in my car. and CP on the gateway definitely does not seem active - because ACC and AFS are all working correctly.

The gateway is showing CP because of the infotainment module.

My hacked unit works fine with AID. The CP faults also disappeared after a while for some reason.

You should be able to communicate with them though.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Got the map working in my AID today. Changed Byte_19_Most from Off > On. This is in obdeleven long coding so I don't know exactly what it did. I'll have to look at the coding in VCDS to see what it actually changed.

The coding in the retrofit tutorials is correct though. I didn't deviate from any coding they did. I just also had to change this setting. My guess is that the majority doing this retrofit have this setting "On" already because they have a Fender/Dynaudio amp using Most. I don't have an amp, Most cable running straight from the MIB to the AID.

Edit... Also this isn't the dashboard configuration Most setting, which was already correct. This appears to be a setting for turning the Most port on/off entirely. It also appears that when I changed this setting obdeleven also changed the setting for sound processing module (assuming this is the amp I don't have) to installed which gave me a fault code for no communication. I set that back to not installed which cleared that fault and left my map display working.

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
The gateway is showing CP because of the infotainment module.

My hacked unit works fine with AID. The CP faults also disappeared after a while for some reason.

You should be able to communicate with them though.
Good to know! Thank you

And I went back into OBDeleven and manually added control units 5f and 47 - and I was able to communicate with them.

Ran the MOST cable today, just waiting to hear back from Jack if he can code my AID remotely or if I need to go to the dealership.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you go to the dealership make sure they do everything, haha. When they initially paired my keys, and before I noticed the odometer issue, I had a fault saying module incorrectly coded.

When I took it back for them to actually do everything, except the odometer which threw an error because I was beyond the "new" dash range, that fault was no longer present. There's an adaptation for "distance" which possibly would have let me enter mileage manually (in km) when I left the dealer but before driving too far. It just didn't cross my mind that the dealer would NOT have set mileage on a new dash.

If you get Jack to do it I'm sure he'll handle everything. For what it's worth if I look at the distance parameter in 5F it shows the new incorrect distance that is on my AID, ugghh.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
So I'm at the dealership getting my AID installed now, the tech is saying the cluster works but I'm getting a bunch of other faults .

AFS, front assist, brake speed sensors, etc...

Anyone have any ideas? I haven't heard of anything like this happen to anyone else.

Edit: when transferring the long coding from my old cluster, do I copy over EVERYTHING? The entire string?

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So I'm at the dealership getting my AID installed now, the tech is saying the cluster works but I'm getting a bunch of other faults .

AFS, front assist, brake speed sensors, etc...

Anyone have any ideas? I haven't heard of anything like this happen to anyone else.

Edit: when transferring the long coding from my old cluster, do I copy over EVERYTHING? The entire string?

Yeah, the whole string should be fine - double check what it's changing though.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
On my first attempt with Jack (didn't work because my battery voltage dipped too low, causing VAS to get flaky)... He did tell me to disconnect my original cluster with ignition on (engine off) and then connect the AID. Otherwise he said I would lose abs coding.

I don't know if the dealer procedure is the same or if they just re-code everything Jack said I would lose. My S doesn't have a lot of features but there are plenty of options about brakes and lighting in the long coding. Nuje has an SEL though (I believe) and didn't mention any of these things. If the dealer finishes the procedure maybe they'll be gone.

On my first trip to the dealer, when they stopped the procedure right after pairing the keys, there were a bunch of lights and faults that I was able to clear through coding. The second time, when they went through the whole procedure (except mileage because it was no longer possible), I had no codes.

Did they at least enter your mileage?