GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5, 7 Speed DSG question

Dax5

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
(USA) So I got my 2019 GTI all ready to change the DSG fluid. I'll be honest, I never really paid attention to the gearing as I assumed it was a 6 Speed DSG like I had read many times, and manual shifting is rarely a thing since I drive it back and forth to work. Turns out my GTI has a 7 speed gearbox and so the DSG fluid change is 80K not 40K, however the book clearly states that the 7 speed is the GOLF R only. The whole setup is very different to the 6 speed as far as filter location and you have two spots to drain from instead of one (stand pipe included). Can anyone explain this oddity to me? Thank you ahead of time.

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
No idea why your manual says R model only, but all ‘19+ GTI and GLI models models use the 7 speed Including my ‘19 GLI Autobahn. My manual refers to gears 1,3,5 and 2,4,6, no mention of a seventh gear. The 7 speed DSG played a lot into my choice of car and transmission. Apparently the manuals were published before the decision was made to use this gearbox. I don’t believe there are any VW products using the 6 speed since the 2018 model year. I also own a 2015 GTI with the 6 speed manual. My GLI Jetta consistently gets 10-15% better gas mileage because of the extra gear. About 500 rpm lower at 75 mph than the GTI. 👍

Zodiac

Passed Driver's Ed
(USA) So I got my 2019 GTI all ready to change the DSG fluid. I'll be honest, I never really paid attention to the gearing as I assumed it was a 6 Speed DSG like I had read many times, and manual shifting is rarely a thing since I drive it back and forth to work. Turns out my GTI has a 7 speed gearbox and so the DSG fluid change is 80K not 40K, however the book clearly states that the 7 speed is the GOLF R only. The whole setup is very different to the 6 speed as far as filter location and you have two spots to drain from instead of one (stand pipe included). Can anyone explain this oddity to me? Thank you ahead of time.
I got an addendum to the owners manual mailed to me about the 7 speed DSG correcting the issues from the error.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I got an addendum to the owners manual mailed to me about the 7 speed DSG correcting the issues from the error.
Does it say 80k miles?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
No idea why your manual says R model only, but all ‘19+ GTI and GLI models models use the 7 speed Including my ‘19 GLI Autobahn. My manual refers to gears 1,3,5 and 2,4,6, no mention of a seventh gear. The 7 speed DSG played a lot into my choice of car and transmission. Apparently the manuals were published before the decision was made to use this gearbox. I don’t believe there are any VW products using the 6 speed since the 2018 model year. I also own a 2015 GTI with the 6 speed manual. My GLI Jetta consistently gets 10-15% better gas mileage because of the extra gear. About 500 rpm lower at 75 mph than the GTI. 👍

2019 Alltrack used the 6spd.

coniglio rampante

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Edit

Attachments

• 0114ECEB-4702-47FB-8556-0B89D334D5C5.jpeg
    0114ECEB-4702-47FB-8556-0B89D334D5C5.jpeg
    732.2 KB · Views: 173

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
80k miles? I thought it was 40k? What’s so different about the 7 speed dsg vs the 6 speed dsg?! It’s the same fluid, no? Is capacity much higher in the 7 speed?
There's no way I would go 80,000 miles on the same fluid. But that's just me. My 18 SE says to change it every 50,000 and I get it changed every 25,000 miles.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
There's no way I would go 80,000 miles on the same fluid. But that's just me. My 18 SE says to change it every 50,000 and I get it changed every 25,000 miles.
Smart. Once it’s tuned or abused frequently, one should shorten the interval. I plan on doing mine later this year. Before winter, after the track season

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
50k? Have only seen 40k specified.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
I think that 80,000 is based on the car being just a DD and not tuned or driven hard. Many cars have 80,000 intervals for TF and it perfectly fine.