GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 (2018) Golf R - 36k mile strut mount wear?

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Hey, so my shop told me that my front strut mounts are shot. My car (bought CPO has only 36k miles but I drive around in NYC's pothole infested roads. Does this seem right?

Also, if I do need a swap - how much am I looking for (on average) to do the job, and should I get 034 strut mounts or OEM ones? Do you think warranty would cover it?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance guys - this is my first car that's this old...

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
034 doesn’t seem to have the best reputation on this forum. With that said, there are several threads on these mounts and it seems like they’ve got mixed reviews (ex. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/034-strut-mounts-not-impressed.349622/)

Unless you’re going for increased camber, my vote would be to stick with OEM. Very much doubt warranty would cover it. Labor for this seems to run 2ish hours and consensus is you should be doing new strut bearings with this.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
034 doesn’t seem to have the best reputation on this forum. With that said, there are several threads on these mounts and it seems like they’ve got mixed reviews (ex. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/034-strut-mounts-not-impressed.349622/)

Unless you’re going for increased camber, my vote would be to stick with OEM. Very much doubt warranty would cover it. Labor for this seems to run 2ish hours and consensus is you should be doing new strut bearings with this.
Thanks for the quick response. Is the fcpeuro strut kit any good? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-strut-mount-kit-lemforder-5q0412331dkt

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
OOh gotcha. I just like FCP euro for these wearable items cause of their warranty.

So the consensus is 2-3 hours for each side or total when it comes to strut mounts?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Warranty might cover it, not sure what the 2018s got/have. It's not that much work if you don't need to drop the strut all the way out to replace it or the springs. Definitely worth DIYing and buying the mounts/bearings off FCP. Don't forget new nuts. I forgot to take a pic but mine were pretty trashed at 31k--replaced with lemforder, not 034 garbage.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Warranty might cover it, not sure what the 2018s got/have. It's not that much work if you don't need to drop the strut all the way out to replace it or the springs. Definitely worth DIYing and buying the mounts/bearings off FCP. Don't forget new nuts. I forgot to take a pic but mine were pretty trashed at 31k--replaced with lemforder, not 034 garbage.
How you like the lemforder? Is the rest of your suspension stock or aftermarket?

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Do you guys know if I need to do an alignment afterwards? The indie shop I had diagnose the problem seem to think I will need it after.

Thanks!

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I'm good with lowering/camber mods. I think im going to keep my suspension stock till I've tracked it once, then start making adjustments. I still daily it so I value daily comfort (NYC pothole ridden streets) over perf. at this moment.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Don't forget new nuts.
VW uses stretch bolts. And, though we're discussing nuts, I always replace all of the little hardware bits that are removed or loosened, just to be on the safe side. When considering the cost of labor and other parts involved, the few additional dollars for fresh nuts and bolts are cheap insurance, at least in my book.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
VW uses stretch bolts. And, though we're discussing nuts, I always replace all of the little hardware bits that are removed or loosened, just to be on the safe side. When considering the cost of labor and other parts involved, the few additional dollars for fresh nuts and bolts are cheap insurance, at least in my book.
Nuts should be replaced too, according to the service manual:

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.13.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.12.14 PM.png