GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 1.8T timing chain

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Hey guys,

So I recently put a is20 on my little 1.8T and had an APR downpipe put in. I also had my clutch changed by a shop (cause too much work for me), but they warned me of timing chain stretch.

I currently have almost 170k km on my car and I checked the obdeleven phase 1 bank position and it is at 0.7. Is that normal at this mileage? Timing chain was never changed, nor was the tensioner
Screenshot_20200729-075350.jpg

Oh I have the CNSA. Engine

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
I thought I did it wrong and that it would have stretched by now 😂

Now gotta wait until the clutch is broken in! Soooooo long

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
So update:
Not sure what happened but I did get a CEL now for codes
P001600
P000A00

The camshaft intake phase 1 is now MORE positive at 1.5 and then dropped to 1.1.

And occasionally I get engine stutter/hesitation/shaking otherwise engine runs fine.

Is this concerning? timing chain related? Screenshot_20200816-191853.jpg
Should I stop driving and bring it to a mechanic? I'm currently in the middle of a roadtrip..?

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an IS20 with 5 speed and a South Bend stage 2 clutch. I occasionally get a stutter on acceleration, been that way for around 45k miles. Of course I have not checked my timing chain parameters in OBD11 yet, but I will and try to post them. Have to get my OBD11 Googlefu on.

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Here's a picture of my tensioner. Is this collapsed ?...

It's at a shop right now getting checked out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200823-113020.jpg
    Screenshot_20200823-113020.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 180

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Can’t say I know anything about what that should or shouldn’t look like. I do have to have my timing chain and related parts replaced due to nearly completely failing. Also had to replace exhaust cam iirc. It happened around 60k miles for me. CNS- are the affected engines

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
That’s really unfortunate. I was lucky to be just a few thousands miles outside of CPO warranty and VW was willing to cover it

That's awesome ! Unfortunately I'm waaayyyy outside my warranty and I have an is20 +tune in my little 1.8t so doubt they'd ever cover it hahaha

Now I'm just finger crossed no valves were bent

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Unfortunately I have the CNSA engine and most of these parts are hard to come by. Does anyone know if intake camshafts are interchangeable between engine codes ?

Mine is 06L109021H.