GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 R32 Rear brake swap, Mk7

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I feel there is a risk of others being misled by your example. Jake $1250 for the ST-40s was a good initial deal but you're ignoring the cost of consumables. It'll quickly add up if you plan to head back again for another track day. I could not replicate the higher than usual numbers you quoted so please see the attached spreadsheet

I carefully priced out each of the brake kits before I purchased the 986 calipers. Required braking capacity and total running costs were the two determining factors. My driving instructors have so far been impressed with the setup. I believe they have the required experience and judgement. You still have not shared the feedback from your instructor(s).

Today a proper ST-40 setup would cost me $2,800. Rotors are $200-$350 each, depending on availability, plus over $300 for race pads. FCP doesn't carry race pads for Stoptech so it is not a one time cost like with a 986 setup.

The ST-40s will cost you over x2 the Macans and 4x the 986 setup to run on track. You may have less than $2000 invested today, but without proper pads and spares you are not ready for another track day.

It sounds like track pads are going to blow your mind. You need to report back once you upgrade.

$300 for pads? Correct, that is what track pads cost and for the ST-40s it is over $300.

Luckily, I still haven't outgrown the DTC-30s on the rears which are $110. Proper track pads will last for several hundred hours on the rear. You posted dealer prices for the rear pads. Please do not pay that much for pads.

986 calipers were $126 each and brackets were $280. Still under $600 after a rebuild, lines, and fluid. I was wrong, it should be called the $600 kit. You're right to be pedantic, but you need to focus on total cost.

TCR GTI runs 18x10 wheels not 19s and so could you.

It is not 500lbs less. It weighs 2,833lbs and your car should be around 3,100. 267lbs is still significant but they are driving harder than a street or trackday car, right?

Wouldn't these same engineers want to include the larger rear performance package brakes on a race car? Or it is simply for asthetics, like the slotted rotors on the ST-40? (Slotted rotors will help during hour 2 of an endurance race but neither of use have that opportunity)

St40 are still on sale, still available at $1340 and without buying another set of lines because I did the leg work and went for a mk6 Kit first to figure out the differences for everyone.

Larger brakes will not fit under my 18s, as I even needed to have the wheels rebalanced with the weights only on the inner most edge of the barrel to allow clearance of the caliper.

There’s also no reason why you can’t get pads for st40 from FCP or anywhere else you’d buy pads, as they’re the same as Bremo pads. I’d have to look up which model, but that was another selling point aside from the st40 being 50% and brand new.

I also broke the ice on the diy R32 swap, which thanks to my video be sponsored will be refunded for the axle pack cost and gave our community another option vs mk7 rear brakes.

I can safely run the Stop Tech sport pads year around on and off the track. So yes I agree my Stoptech track pads will be $300 as well I didn’t need to make that purchase just to go try it out. My lack of LSD and proper track tires are far more limiting than my brake pads. I also have cooling issues to address as oil temp was 275* and the second and third sessions required me to back off to keep coolant under 280*F

My consumables are not a concern, because I work a 40 hour week at my aviation job, 5-30 hours a week running Baun Performance and have two young kids so at 80k miles on the car and one track day my ratio isn’t going to change quickly by any means. Track days while fun are very low on my list of priorities and as the kids get older my car will slowly continue its transition from daily driver to track toy.

Having larger rear brakes isn’t hurting anything, I’m not sure why you’re so against my set up or so vigorously fighting me on it. If you feel everyone should only do the cheapest possible braking upgrade then write your own thread and shoot some videos explaining how to do so. What you’ve already posted here is great information, but don’t sell me on it sell the guys who haven’t already gone down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Yikes!

ship.....

I have felt 100% confident on track with proper pads combined with good braking technique.
I've done 11 track days this summer with the lowly $500 Boxster Brembos on the standard 312mm rotors.

do you have a link to the set up you used?

sardo_67

if you can afford the best brakes then get them, if you cant then get the best ones you can afford. bigger is usually better.

and to jake thanks for the info and youtube vids

if you can afford the best brakes then get them, if you cant then get the best ones you can afford. bigger is usually better.

and to jake thanks for the info and youtube vids
I wish it were that simple.

I'm trying to keep my track wheels 17", because tires are SO much cheaper, about $400 less per set. So I'm trying to find the best that will fit under my wheels. Makes life harder, but it's doable.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

sardo_67

I'm trying to keep my track wheels 17", because tires are SO much cheaper, about $400 less per set. So I'm trying to find the best that will fit under my wheels. Makes life harder, but it's doable.

it is, if price wasn't an issue then you'd get the larger ones and run 18s

i am in the same boat as you since i live in CT and have snows, i really won't want to buy 18" snow tires when 16s are waaaaaaaaay cheaper, almost half the price.

however i may just risk all seasons for the winter since i have a beater 4x4 Jeep cherokee with snows on it I've been driving for the past few winters, however its annoying to have to plan what vehicle to take due to weather.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

I read somewhere on Vortex, TTRS can potentially fit with the Vagbremtechnic carriers, or the Neuspeed 340mm kit will fit under some 17s. I haven't done it myself, but my current track wheels are 17s, so I kind of take note when I see a post on if something will fit under 17s.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

Random question, but do you know if the 328mm ST-41s will fit under 17s? I know people are putting 17s on Rs with 340mm brakes, but some wheels need spacers and I'm wondering if the 4 pot Stoptech calipers are even bigger than stock R calipers...

Kind of tempted to get the ST-41s since they're like $800.

Random question, but do you know if the 328mm ST-41s will fit under 17s? I know people are putting 17s on Rs with 340mm brakes, but some wheels need spacers and I'm wondering if the 4 pot Stoptech calipers are even bigger than stock R calipers...

Kind of tempted to get the ST-41s since they're like $800.
I can't answer that. I don't have any experience with the ST-41.

I can tell you PP brakes fit with 17 x 7.5 konig Runlites.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
GTI Jake,

Does this also work for the Golf 1.8t? I was told by someone that GTIs have different rear suspension than Golfs so not sure if the rear brake setup is the same. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAS_STIG

Banned
GTI Jake,

Does this also work for the Golf 1.8t? I was told by someone that GTIs have different rear suspension than Golfs so not sure if the rear brake setup is the same. Thanks!

Golfs have a different master cylinder so the pedal might get squishy if you upgrade to the PP size brakes all around. Not sure why you would only do rears.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Golfs have a different master cylinder so the pedal might get squishy if you upgrade to the PP size brakes all around. Not sure why you would only do rears.

I already have Stoptech BBK up front.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
GTI Jake,

Tdi is solid beam, which is wildly different suspension, but outside of spring rates and the sway bar the 1.8TSI is just like a gti. Same goes for the brakes, just slightly smaller and no red paint.

Like mentioned above the master cylinder is supposed to me slightly smaller on the 1.8tsi (just look it up on a OEM VW parts search and compare your car to a gti to see if the PN is the same for the same year car)

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT