GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 R32 Rear brake swap, Mk7

teemmy

Ready to race!
Woohoo! Just saw you posted the video, but i can’t watch it because I’m at work. I guess everything was a direct bolt on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Is the mk7 like the mk5 where you need to disassemble the rear hub to get the R32 dust shield on? I ran into that when I installed R32 rear brakes on my mk5 Rabbit and ended up just leaving the R32 dust shield off.

Yes, to R&R the dust shields you’d need to unbolt the hub.

My St40 don’t have dust shields up front, so I also opted to cut/remove the one shields in the back for better cooling

teemmy

Ready to race!
Looks good!

How much did you spend on the entire setup? (Calipers, lines, rotors and pads)

sardo_67

first post here and while i am a little out of place since i have a TDI i'll still be looking to do something like this.

my rear bakes need to be done and rotors are warped, while i'm there i want to get larger vented rotors like this here, however i have a beam rear axle so will these bolt up on my car?

do i have to get R32 calipers or can i find larger carriers then just swap the rotors and brackets saving me the cost of 2 calipers and bleeding brakes?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Looks good!

How much did you spend on the entire setup? (Calipers, lines, rotors and pads)

$585 total (fluid included as well)

first post here and while i am a little out of place since i have a TDI i'll still be looking to do something like this.

my rear bakes need to be done and rotors are warped, while i'm there i want to get larger vented rotors like this here, however i have a beam rear axle so will these bolt up on my car?

do i have to get R32 calipers or can i find larger carriers then just swap the rotors and brackets saving me the cost of 2 calipers and bleeding brakes?

I’ve never looked at a Tdi with a solid beam, you’d need to compare the part numbers of your brakes to those on a golf TSI or gti.

You should always change brake fluid when replacing braking components. It’s supposed to be changed on a regular interval anyway, so I’m assuming you’re overdue already.

also has anyone actually used these dual caliper adapters from ECS?

use the OEM R32 caliper for the Ebrake and a 2nd 4 piston caliper for the hydraulic brakes on an OEM style 310mm rotor

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembl...310x22mm-rotors/br0015kt~dk/?pdk=AQUGAwoMDgMR

Never seen that, can’t imagine anyone would.

A proper dual caliper set up would have a small light weight parking brake caliper...having two big heavy calipers is counter productive and fixing an issue that isn’t there in the first place

sardo_67

isn't the 4 piston rear caliper there for better braking not so much weight?

but however i would guess that anyone who is running 4 pot in the back have 6 in the front and a working cable ebrake is not even on the car anymore hahaha

i will get under my car this weekend for some work and dig into the braking system under there, i didn't know the MK7s went back to different rear suspensions again, i thought after the mk5 they were all the same from base gas/tdi to GLI/GTI/R models but i see i was wrong.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
isn't the 4 piston rear caliper there for better braking not so much weight?

but however i would guess that anyone who is running 4 pot in the back have 6 in the front and a working cable ebrake is not even on the car anymore hahaha

i will get under my car this weekend for some work and dig into the braking system under there, i didn't know the MK7s went back to different rear suspensions again, i thought after the mk5 they were all the same from base gas/tdi to GLI/GTI/R models but i see i was wrong.

I’m saying they’re pointlessly doubling the weight which is a far greater negative than any potential positive.

I have four piston calipers up front, and the added feel with the solid mounted caliper is amazing. However the OEM PP/R rear brakes are more than capable of keeping up with my 355mm ST40 since the rear does only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the braking (most is up front).

The size is only for heat dissipation, your “power” comes from pad compounds, so my suggestion would be replace your worn components with high carbon replacements (centric or Stoptech) and fresh pads and fluids.

OEM non performance package gti brakes might be a cheap slight upgrade, but again I’m not sure what your car came with

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
So as some of you have seen a few months ago I upgraded the front brakes of my daily driven/track abused 2016 Gti S (non performance package) to Stoptech ST40 355mm. Several people asked what I had planned for the rear and after months of searching I found the deal I was looking for.

What performance issues were you having with the standard rear rotors? Maybe the fronts are undersized?

The GTI TCR is running this setup:
"Braking System: Front disc brakes with all-around inside ventilation (Ø 378 mm), Rear solid brake disks (Ø 272 mm), aluminium brake callipers (six pistons at front, two pistons at rear)"

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
What performance issues were you having with the standard rear rotors? Maybe the fronts are undersized?

The GTI TCR is running this setup:
"Braking System: Front disc brakes with all-around inside ventilation (Ø 378 mm), Rear solid brake disks (Ø 272 mm), aluminium brake callipers (six pistons at front, two pistons at rear)"

My fronts are ST40 355mm, the rear were stock non performance package.

I don’t need a brake failure to justify upgrading the rear. The OEM set got cooked at my first track day and pad selection for the OEM 272mm disk is very limited.

Just copy pasting the TCR build sheet doesn’t necessarily make a good solution for a daily driver that sees weekend abuse.

I’ve got under $2,000 in my brake setup including all four corners and I’m extremely happy with how it turned out. I’m 100% confident to push the car and that’s not something anyone will say about the factory non performance package.

upload picture

Last edited:

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Yikes! If you're reading this thread please do not think what the OP did was necessary to drive fast and brake hard on track.
Thinking you "need" upgrades after your first track day is a foolish trap and a fast way to hemorrhage cash.
Please spend that money on seat time and learning how to not overdrive fwd

I have felt 100% confident on track with proper pads combined with good braking technique.
I've done 11 track days this summer with the lowly $500 Boxster Brembos on the standard 312mm rotors.
I am not a great driver but these brakes let me move up to upper intermediate where I'm still passing M4s and Stingrays at the BMW club events.

The OEM set got cooked at my first track day and pad selection for the OEM 272mm disk is very limited.
What feedback did the instructor give about your braking technique? Was XDS+ turned fully off?

Street pads do not belong on the racetrack, but I'm surprised the rear pads failed on your first track day. Porterfield cuts over two dozen race pads for the standard rear calipers. About 20 compounds from a handful of companies has been more than enough selection for my needs.

What did you require that they didn't offer?

Just copy pasting the TCR build sheet doesn’t necessarily make a good solution for a daily driver that sees weekend abuse.

Can you clarify? The MQB chassis has been dominating in the TCR cup, why not copy/paste a successful recipe?
Are you saying a street car needs more rear braking than the race car? Or needs less capacity up front? :confused:

I’ve got under $2,000 in my brake setup including all four corners and I’m extremely happy with how it turned out. I’m 100% confident to push the car and that’s not something anyone will say about the factory non performance package.

It sounds like you only needed to remove your dust shields, zip tie on RS3 ducts, and run proper pads.
If the goal was larger brakes why didn't you consider the much cheaper bolt on Macan Brembos? For vanity I'd rather have Porsche/Brembos than Centric

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My car is non performance package. A track day with stock non performance brakes would be a complete waste, and anyone with any experience knows that. They would be shot after a lap and I don’t have time to hit the track whenever, I need to make my time count.

Porterfield makes pads? NO WAY?!?! Who would spend $300 per set of pads and $100 plus per pair for OEM blanks (so that’s up to $800 for those following along) PLUS I’d still need additional street pads since this is my daily driver so figure another $140 and we’re pushing $1000 once you add fluid.

Who here thinks riding the ragged edge on non PP brakes for $1000 makes more sense than a proper four corner upgrade for $2000? “Crickets”. You didn’t “just” pay $500 for your braking upgrade, my under 2k figure is all in for all four corners including (calipers, carriers, rotors, pads, lines, and fluid.

Back to the TCR. First off it has even larger front brakes than my car, which require 19s to run...I own summer and all season sets of 18s and won’t be changing that, just adding an additional track set and track pads. Also, what’s the TCR weigh vs my car? More, by 500# or so? NO WAY?! Maybe, just maybe that’s why Volkswagen uses bigger brakes on the performance package models as well as the R (since 2008) which are exactly what I added to the rear.

Last edited:

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
My car is non performance package. A track day with stock non performance brakes would be a complete waste, and anyone with any experience knows that. They would be shot after a lap and I don’t have time to hit the track whenever, I need to make my time count.

Porterfield makes pads? NO WAY?!?! Who would spend $300 per set of pads and $100 plus per pair for OEM blanks (so that’s up to $800 for those following along) PLUS I’d still need additional street pads since this is my daily driver so figure another $140 and we’re pushing $1000 once you add fluid.

Who here thinks riding the ragged edge on non PP brakes for $1000 makes more sense than a proper four corner upgrade for $2000? “Crickets”. You didn’t “just” pay $500 for your braking upgrade, my under 2k figure is all in for all four corners including (calipers, carriers, rotors, pads, lines, and fluid.

Back to the TCR. First off it has even larger front brakes than my car, which require 19s to run...I own summer and all season sets of 18s and won’t be changing that, just adding an additional track set and track pads. Also, what’s the TCR weigh vs my car? More, by 500# or so? NO WAY?! Maybe, just maybe that’s why Volkswagen uses bigger brakes on the performance package models as well as the R (since 2008) which are exactly what I added to the rear.
I feel there is a risk of others being misled by your example. Jake $1250 for the ST-40s was a good initial deal but you're ignoring the cost of consumables. It'll quickly add up if you plan to head back again for another track day. I could not replicate the higher than usual numbers you quoted so please see the attached spreadsheet

I carefully priced out each of the brake kits before I purchased the 986 calipers. Required braking capacity and total running costs were the two determining factors. My driving instructors have so far been impressed with the setup. I believe they have the required experience and judgement. You still have not shared the feedback from your instructor(s).

Today a proper ST-40 setup would cost me $2,800. Rotors are $200-$350 each, depending on availability, plus over $300 for race pads. FCP doesn't carry race pads for Stoptech so it is not a one time cost like with a 986 setup.

The ST-40s will cost you over x2 the Macans and 4x the 986 setup to run on track. You may have less than $2000 invested today, but without proper pads and spares you are not ready for another track day.

It sounds like track pads are going to blow your mind. You need to report back once you upgrade.

$300 for pads? Correct, that is what track pads cost and for the ST-40s it is over $300.

Luckily, I still haven't outgrown the DTC-30s on the rears which are $110. Proper track pads will last for several hundred hours on the rear. You posted dealer prices for the rear pads. Please do not pay that much for pads.

986 calipers were $126 each and brackets were $280. Still under $600 after a rebuild, lines, and fluid. I was wrong, it should be called the $600 kit. You're right to be pedantic, but you need to focus on total cost.

TCR GTI runs 18x10 wheels not 19s and so could you.

It is not 500lbs less. It weighs 2,833lbs and your car should be around 3,100. 267lbs is still significant but they are driving harder than a street or trackday car, right?

Wouldn't these same engineers want to include the larger rear performance package brakes on a race car? Or it is simply for asthetics, like the slotted rotors on the ST-40? (Slotted rotors will help during hour 2 of an endurance race but neither of use have that opportunity)