GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 7 vs Focus ST

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Stock for stock, the FOST is faster at an autocross. Mod for mod, the FOST is faster at an autocross.

The Ford makes better noises and is generally more engaging.

The Ford can also stuff a bigger tire a lot more easily and in stock autocross or time trial classes, it comes with a half inch wider wheel, which makes a huge difference.

The vw interior is nicer.

Vw infotainment and audio is way better (if you get the upgraded stuff only)

Vw lighting is better (if you spring for lighting package only)

Vw has the dcc option (I think only the FORS does...?)

Vw has better feeling transmission choices, both my and dsg, but the Ford manual is more reliable, robust, and hits gears better. The stock vw clutch is fantastic in weight and feel, but doesn't hold much power. Once upgraded, the heavier clutches ruin a lot of the lightness that makes it a fun street car, but that's partly preference.

Vw steering wheel is a lot nicer and the leather is nice and soft (very important stuff here). Actually in general, the vw leather is really nice, even compared to an a3 or 3 series bimmer. It's not pleather, and it certainly takes monthly cleaning and sealing like all leather, but it's nice.

Ford has far more mod friendly dealers.

Ford has far more aftermarket support, especially factory backed.

Ford has better aftermarket part pricing generally.

The FOST has far more affordable brake pad options which aren't quite as exotic in shape or expensive as a result.

Vw has more electronic gimmickery and stuff, which is cool.

Ford has far fewer electronics, so less crap to break.

I can go on and on, but at the end of the day if you want a hot hatch that's a hot hatch first and foremost, get the FOST. If you want a hot hatch that's a golf first and foremost and a hot hatch second, get the vw. One is a better street car, the other is a better weekend and autocross car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The GTI really needs a better steering rack in order to be as engaging as the Ford's, or Veloster N for that matter.
Or just more negative camber upfront, an IS38, more tire, and a bigger rear sway.

Wouldn't cost VW much, as they already have all the parts.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You could argue that they have one of the best performance lineups, or at least the deepest. The Fiesta ST is regarded as the best hot hatch. The Raptor and Mustang are class leading as well, though not as definitive.
If they only still made the Focus and Fiesta for the US.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Non- pp GTI and last ST are pretty comparable.

PP GTI is just a better car all around. We don't get the new ST in murrica.

Veloster N is better than either, but you either like the looks or don't. I throw up in my mouth a little bit everytime I look at it, so it was a hard pass for me. Great car otherwise though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Non- pp GTI and last ST are pretty comparable.

PP GTI is just a better car all around. We don't get the new ST in murrica.

Veloster is better than either, but you either like the looks or don't. I throw up in my mouth a little bit everytime I look at it, so it was a hard pass for me. Great car otherwise though.
Hyundai cheapened the interior of the N though compared to the 16 Veloster Turbo I had. But otherwise a well tuned car in all respects. It was tuned by an ex BMW engineer.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hyundai cheapened the interior of the N though compared to the 16 Veloster Turbo I had. But otherwise a well tuned car in all respects. It was tuned by an ex BMW engineer.
Agreed, as long as I never had to look at it.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
Or just more negative camber upfront, an IS38, more tire, and a bigger rear sway.

Wouldn't cost VW much, as they already have all the parts.

The electric assist needs to be completely recalibrated to a more natural feel. That plus camber would put the GTI back on top imo.