GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 7 vs Focus ST

ELHOTA

Passed Driver's Ed
Which is the better buy- GTI Mk 7 or Focus ST (2017 model)? In terms of ownership costs?

A used Focus ST costs a bit less than a GTI but the GTI has better fuel economy. Which car is more reliable? Replacement parts for the Focus ST will likely be less expensive.
The GTI has a nicer interior and is more practical in terms of cargo space.
The Focus ST, on the other hand really has a nice, deep rumble to it and is more of a boy racer. Also, I love those Recaro seats!

Which would be the better buy?

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
They both have fake engine noise, both can be disabled. You're asking on a golf forum so expect heavy bias towards the GTI.
That being said: I would definitely buy the MK7 GTI of the two. Like you said, better interior and should be plenty reliable assuming you're not buying the first model year.
If you're planning on tuning, the GTI will also out perform the ST (tuned vs tuned). GTI is also lighter.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
The focus is a wet noodle. Tiny turbo makes it feel like a diesel, MPG sucks, chassis doesn't put power down at all, etc.

Junk.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
When I take my A3 off the road to fully build it, I actually though of a Focus ST to keep stock for a DD.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Focus ST is comparable to a Mk6 Gti. The Mk7 blows it out of the water in every way.

As others mentioned pass on 2015, they have common issues and lack features that will far surpass and potential savings on the purchase price.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I will say that the ST rotates better.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Which is the better buy- GTI Mk 7 or Focus ST (2017 model)? In terms of ownership costs?

A used Focus ST costs a bit less than a GTI but the GTI has better fuel economy. Which car is more reliable? Replacement parts for the Focus ST will likely be less expensive.
The GTI has a nicer interior and is more practical in terms of cargo space.
The Focus ST, on the other hand really has a nice, deep rumble to it and is more of a boy racer. Also, I love those Recaro seats!

Which would be the better buy?

Were you the one that was asking about future Mk7 reliability?

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I had the opportunity to do an extended test drive of a '17 ST before I bought my '17 GTI. So I can tell you what I noticed and why I bought the GTI over it.

The GTI is a better engineered car, especially with the performance pack. Like Jake said, the ST is closer to a Mk6 than a MK7. That said, I get the charm of the ST. It has a small turbo which spools fast, aggressive throttle tuning, and way shorter and tighter spaced gearing in 1-3 than the GTI manual or DSG. This makes it feel very punchy. You want to rip through the gears all the time and it's just messy fun.

It doesn't get very good gas mileage. On my commute, I got like 20 mpg, and I was trying to drive nice. I get ~29 mpg in my GTI on the same route. I haven't had the best year of ownership with my GTI for reliability, but I think I'm an outlier. I'd say they're similarly reliable if you get a '16 or later GTI. Expect to have a couple problems over the life of either vehicle.

The ST technically has "real" engine noise because it's piped in through a tube/resonator coming off the intake manifold. It's tuned sound, but it is real. The soundaktor I'd definitely say is "fake".

Anyway, I got the GTI because it's a better overall car and is a higher performance car if you're pushing it. The ST kinda falls apart the harder you push it. I figure all the strengths of the ST, the GTI can do even better with some mods, and the EA888 has way more potential for tuning/modding. Then you'll have the best of both worlds. Practical, but with more of the excitement of the ST. Stock vs Stock, though, the ST might actually be a little more fun day-to-day. (Heresy, I know, but I'm being honest lol)

ELHOTA

Passed Driver's Ed
Most of the reviews seem to favour the Fiesta ST over the Focus ST. It’s supposedly a better handling car and more fun to drive. It’s smaller though and doesn’t have the same cargo carrying capacity. Sort of the size of a GTI Mk1.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Most of the reviews seem to favour the Fiesta ST over the Focus ST. It’s supposedly a better handling car and more fun to drive. It’s smaller though and doesn’t have the same cargo carrying capacity. Sort of the size of a GTI Mk1.
Except neither car is being made anymore.