GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Missing Engine Cover ?

coalminerd

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI
Hi,
Bought a 2017 MK7 from a private party. Noticed today that it's missing an engine cover (see pic). Is it a big deal to run without it? Is there a used market for these (junk yard, etc.). Just checking to see how important this part is, how fast I should get to work on finding a replacement. Also - anyone have the part number? Otherwise - car is awesome (2017 Wolfsburg trim).
IMG_0742.jpg

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
No harm running without one, it's purpose is simply to make the engine bay look neater. I suppose you could argue it also stops road dust etc getting down near all those connectors.

I'm sure you will be able to pick one up used for a fairly cheap price.

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I took mine off at about 500 miles. I was keeping it in case I sold the car, which is looking increasingly unlikely for the short term. If you cannot find one, I can prob be convinced to sell mine if the price was right.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
ECS has some nice aftermarket ones but they're way too expensive (~$500)

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
VW only uses it for sound deadening and aesthetics

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I also see the engine cover as a cause of early coil and wiring failure because of
heat build up. When a hot engine is turned off? Not sure if this makes any difference.

I've got 100,000 miles on my car and that's in Phoenix with the heat we get and I've not had a problem with heat causing a coil to fail.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I also see the engine cover as a cause of early coil and wiring failure because of
heat build up. When a hot engine is turned off? Not sure if this makes any difference.
You should take off the hood since that holds heat in too.