GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfires

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Hey guys,

I have a 2017 GTI S (6speed) I purchased January 2020 with 12k miles off a lease. Today I am at 53k miles and love the car since I bought it. At about 20k miles I installed a CTS DP and left the stock ECU until 40k. I am tuned stage 1 (supposed to b stage2, couldn't afford it atm) so I still get a CEL for the DP that comes on every once in a while. 4 months ago I purchased an OBD11 and now I am able to see what codes I get every time I get a CEL. Ever since I got the OBD11 I go to clear the CEL and came across misfires throughout this period and still do. Its not a misfire that you clear and pops up immediately. You clear it and it wont pop a CEL until 4 days or a week sometimes or longer. I replaced the spark plugs and coils around 41k so my mechanic doesn't think it could be that. I don't think its carbon cause my cold start up isn't rough it idles smooth. CEL will pop up when driving somewhere normal with no beans. I have been documenting the misfires onto my notes for a while now. Don't judge as I have been still driving the car as its my daily. What has me concerned is I noticed the biting point taking a lil longer unless I am tripping. I admit though sometimes I don't give enough rpm in first. All the other gears the car drives good. Another thing thats so hard to explain is the noise I get when engaging the clutch (happens sometimes) is like a creaking/chatter coming from the front under the dash. Sometimes its a very quick noise when hitting the biting point or if you don't give enough gas the noise will b slightly longer say 2-3 seconds. For the misfires could it be bad injectors? I ONCE had my car get CEL & EPC light and car started to shake happened on 8/19 code.

6/17
Misfire cylinder 2 (intermittent)
O2 sensor Bank 1 P013E00

6/29
O2 Sensor Bank 1
Misfire Cylinder 2

7/13
Misifire Cylinder 1
Misfire Cylinder 2
Misfire Cylinder 4
Random/Multiple Misfires
O2 Sensor Bank 1

8/19
Monitoring of Injector Cylinder 1
Misfire Cylinder 1
O2 Sensor Bank 1

8/31
Reduced Oil Pressure Switch (malfunction)
Misfire Cylinder 1
Misfire Cylinder 1
Random/Multiple Misfires

9/18
Misfire Cylinder 1
Misfire Cylinder 2
O2 Sensor Bank 1
Random/ Multiple Misfires

9/9
Misfire Cylinder 2
O2 Sensor Bank 1

9/27
O2 Sensor Bank 1
Misfire Cylinder 2

10/5
Misfire Cylinder 1
Misfire Cylinder 2
Random/ Multiple Misifires

10/13
Misfire Cylinder 2
O2 Banker Sensor

As you can see I am getting misfires in almost all cylinders but #2 being the most. What you guys think it could be? Engine bad? Crankwalk? Squid Game?

I always fill up 93 oct. At one point I was using Costco and my shop told me to stop filling up there. Misfires went down but still appear. Oil changes always done at 5k miles. Car is never tracked and has seen a few mexico streets and tons of WOT for fun like 2nd and 3rd gear rips. I should post this on MK7 Confessions, I used to launch this car often in its early days, wish I never did.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What does your tuner say? Sounds like it's the tune. You're right you don't have the mileage for carbon buildup to be bad enough to cause misfiring.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The P013E00 code is a rich to lean O2 sensor code. The sensor could be bad, you may need an O2 sensor spacer on your CTS DP, or both. You've got to get rid of that code first. When you check for readiness, are all sensors ready?

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
What does your tuner say? Sounds like it's the tune. You're right you don't have the mileage for carbon buildup to be bad enough to cause misfiring.
Already informed them this morning about this issue they are looking into it.

The P013E00 code is a rich to lean O2 sensor code. The sensor could be bad, you may need an O2 sensor spacer on your CTS DP, or both. You've got to get rid of that code first. When you check for readiness, are all sensors ready?
Interesting. I don't know much about codes and what can really mean, thought it was just cause I run a DP. It's a 42DD o2 spacer, haven't tried the J-spacer yet. Between the two heard good things about them and ppl having luck with CEL. However, 42DD didn't really for work me and still gave me CEL. Ran no CEL for 1k miles when the DP was installed. After that my miles mainly had CEL. (before I had ODB11)

catted DP btw..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Already informed them this morning about this issue they are looking into it.

Interesting. I don't know much about codes and what can really mean, thought it was just cause I run a DP. It's a 42DD o2 spacer, haven't tried the J-spacer yet. Between the two heard good things about them and ppl having luck with CEL. However, 42DD didn't really for work me and still gave me CEL. Ran no CEL for 1k miles when the DP was installed. After that my miles mainly had CEL. (before I had ODB11)

catted DP btw..
What code are you getting? The one for the catalytic convertor is P0420.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Very well could need a carbon cleaning. My engine was at a solid medium for buildup when I installed MPI at 50K miles. I did a quick clean and was surprised how much better the engine ran (definitely had reduced misfire counts). Pretty sure E85 + MPI + couple of rounds of valve cleaner took care of the rest.

What gap are you running on your spark plugs?

Got any logs for us? Can't help with just codes/dates.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
What code are you getting? The one for the catalytic convertor is P0420.
P013E00

Very well could need a carbon cleaning. My engine was at a solid medium for buildup when I installed MPI at 50K miles. I did a quick clean and was surprised how much better the engine ran (definitely had reduced misfire counts). Pretty sure E85 + MPI + couple of rounds of valve cleaner took care of the rest.

What gap are you running on your spark plugs?

Got any logs for us? Can't help with just codes/dates.
That's what I'm thinking. Car has seen a quick amount of mileage with me and is constantly going to places with lots of city driving.

Tuner recommends RS7 but I went with OEM, they say thats fine. Gapping I am not sure, most likely stock gapping. My mechanic did all that, used to be a VW tech.

How can a log? Possible with OBD11?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes you can log with OBDeleven. I didn't realize that you don't actually know what your mechanic gapped the plugs at. With your tune they should have been gapped to 0.024. I'll bet your mechanic gapped them at least 0.028. That alone code be the cause of the misfires. With a tuned car you need to be more proactive with things like the spark plugs gap.

Check the plug gap and regap if necessary and see if you still have misfires and if you still do then ask the tuner.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Yes you can log with OBDeleven. I didn't realize that you don't actually know what your mechanic gapped the plugs at. With your tune they should have been gapped to 0.024. I'll bet your mechanic gapped them at least 0.028. That alone code be the cause of the misfires. With a tuned car you need to be more proactive with things like the spark plugs gap.

Check the plug gap and regap if necessary and see if you still have misfires and if you still do then ask the tuner.
I'm in the process in getting a promotion. Once I get that first pay check I'm gonna buy some new plugs & coils cause I feel like the ones the indie shop provided suck ass. Will keep the .024 gap in mind.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
When I log on OBD11 do I do anything specific in driving? or just idle? Already got which valuesI need to log

EDIT: I'ma drive to Mexico real quick and do 3rd gear pull all the way to red line.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm in the process in getting a promotion. Once I get that first pay check I'm gonna buy some new plugs & coils cause I feel like the ones the indie shop provided suck ass. Will keep the .024 gap in mind.
You don't need the coils. Ask your tuner specifically what he wants logged.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Last time I had multiples and the 02 code, it was the 02 on the turbo for me.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
How tf can you record these logs on OBD11. Watched a video on how to do it but the guy has an andriod device and it’s completely different. He able to go to charts and record the data. Can’t seem to find it on iOS. Only can get live data but i gotta screen shot it or screen record i guess.

Am I missing something?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How tf can you record these logs on OBD11. Watched a video on how to do it but the guy has an andriod device and it’s completely different. He able to go to charts and record the data. Can’t seem to find it on iOS. Only can get live data but i gotta screen shot it or screen record i guess.

Am I missing something?
Don't know about the iPhone. You could also just get an OBD2 dongle from Amazon for $20 and use the Torque Pro app on your iPhone. It's easy to log using the Torque Pro app.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
iPhone is definitely garbage for logging on OBD11. Learned something new today.

As soon as I opened the app I saw misfire in 1&2 but CEL didn't show up lol. It's all good though, will purchase that OBD2 one of these days

I'm kinda thinking something is wrong though cause my clutch pedal is trash. I drive more sloppy (coming from a stop) than I did when I first was learning stick in this car.