GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfires? If you’re stock, do you have any too?

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Switched to NGK one step colder plugs. Noticed some misfires via OBD11 (not enough to trigger a fault or CEL). Swapped back to stock plugs. Still noticing misfires. Have an appt at VW in a few weeks but curious as to other opinions before going in. Car is on CPO warranty for another 10 months and want to make sure it’s running tip top before tuning. 35k miles. To my knowledge, stock plugs/coils, stock tune.

the first 2 pics are “live data” after a 90 min drive. Third pic is after a 15-25 min drive. All with reverting back to stock plugs.

Attachments

• D8002FA8-41D1-4C6C-B37A-1B05C3873523.png
    D8002FA8-41D1-4C6C-B37A-1B05C3873523.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 17893671-0AEB-48BD-8A32-A59FA61EAF1F.png
    17893671-0AEB-48BD-8A32-A59FA61EAF1F.png
    223.5 KB · Views: 44
  • E3302991-3B4E-47DE-8B74-188F80CA1C0A.jpeg
    E3302991-3B4E-47DE-8B74-188F80CA1C0A.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 43

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What did you gap the plugs at? And you definitely don't need colder plugs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
The colder plugs aren't really necessary for a street driven tuned car either in spite of what they say. You just don't generate enough heat to use colder plugs.

https://gensportunited.com/need-colder-spark-plugs/
Makes sense however, “As always, if your tuner recommends you go with a colder plug, then you should listen.” Is it needed? Who knows, probably not. Will it benefit? Don’t know. Is it recommended via EQT? Yes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Makes sense however, “As always, if your tuner recommends you go with a colder plug, then you should listen.” Is it needed? Who knows, probably not. Will it benefit? Don’t know. Is it recommended via EQT? Yes. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I understand. I will tell you that EQT dyno tuned mine and recommended 2 steps colder plugs which I installed and they fouled because the cylinder temperatures weren't high enough to generate the heat a 2 step colder plug requires. I now use the NGK Ruthenium plugs which are stock heat range and no problems. I would do what they recommend and take it from there.

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
I understand. I will tell you that EQT dyno tuned mine and recommended 2 steps colder plugs which I installed and they fouled because the cylinder temperatures weren't high enough to generate the heat a 2 step colder plug requires. I now use the NGK Ruthenium plugs which are stock heat range and no problems. I would do what they recommend and take it from there.
Thank you for sharing the article and your experience

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Took car to dealer who plugged their scanning tool in. They stated they didn’t see any misfires on their scanner and definitely didn’t see any faults or CELs.
the rationale I got: “whatever scanner you’re using [OBD11] must be just super sensitive”.
otherwise, car seems to be running fine and is exhibiting no outward signs (to my recognition) of misfire (odor of gas, power drops/surges, knocking or pinging or other adverse engine noise)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Took car to dealer who plugged their scanning tool in. They stated they didn’t see any misfires on their scanner and definitely didn’t see any faults or CELs.
the rationale I got: “whatever scanner you’re using [OBD11] must be just super sensitive”.
otherwise, car seems to be running fine and is exhibiting no outward signs (to my recognition) of misfire (odor of gas, power drops/surges, knocking or pinging or other adverse engine noise)
On OBDeleven or any other scan tool it will always show some harmless misfiring. If you're not getting a CEL it's fine.

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
I’m getting stoked to finally load this tune up. Gotta try to get my hands on a 10a charger (only have a motorcycle trickle charger at the moment) and figure out a possible clutch and IC upgrade