GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire @ WOT - 1.8tsi with APR IS20 tune

Mgmannin

All,

My name is Mike. I live in Michigan and drive a 2017 Golf 1.8tsi - picture attached.

Started off with a APR+ tune & DG springs right off the showroom floor, did my first track day and started to Modify a bit more. Current Mod list below:

1. IS20 Turbo
2. APR IS20 93 Octane tune
3. Milltek Catless downpipe + AWE exhaust
4. APR Ignition coils
5. Engine/Trans mounts

Had two WOT misfires resulting in EPC and Check engine light running the APR 87 tune. I swapped plugs and upgraded coils.

Upgraded to downpipe and 93 octane tune - had 3 WOT misfires in the last few days. Very frustrating!!

My next step is to put in fuel injector cleaner and keep my fingers crossed.

Any tip or tricks would be much appreciated.

-Mike

Attachments

• Golf Pic 1.JPG
    Golf Pic 1.JPG
    756.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Golf Engine Picture.JPG
    Golf Engine Picture.JPG
    787.5 KB · Views: 374

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
How are your plugs? How many miles have they been in there for, whats the gap, overall appearance of them?

Mgmannin

Plugs were actually 2 days old, Pre-gapped and checked at .028. Please see pictures of plugs attached.

As you can see they are significantly burnt.

Attachments

• Plugs.JPG
    Plugs.JPG
    642.3 KB · Views: 177
  • plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    651.5 KB · Views: 181

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Not sure on plug gap specs for is20 swap, but I have been running .024 on my IS38, previously with stock spec plugs, just recent change to NGK Ruthenium 95125 and have not had an issue

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
.028 is too much gap, go for .023-.024. Also, I use RS7 spark plugs to go a step colder, but there are some other cheaper options. Although, that does seem like a lot of burn for just 2 days.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
APR recommends stock plugs gapped to 0.024 so have to start there.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Could it possibly be bad gas? Car sat for about 2 months.

Anyone experience the impact of bad gas?

It's possible but not that likely in two months. Install new plugs gapped tighter and new gas and find out.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Had a few misfires with my time on the 91 Is20 downpipe tune (around ~7 over the course of a year and a half). Always seemed to manifest whenever i'd punch the gas going up a hill with traction fully defeated, but the issue was so inconsistent and rare that I never really bothered to track it down. For additional reference I was running step colder plugs gaped to .024 (replaced every 15k miles) and ran Arco gas (car never sat for longer then a week).

Haven't had one yet on the Is38 tune for whatever that's worth.

Mgmannin

Update. Filled up the car with 4 gallons of 100 octane and pushed it pretty hard. No misfires at WOT.

Still have this misfire in the back of my mind while driving - makes driving the car less fun. Oh well that's the trade off of tuning/modifying.