GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire Low RPM w/ Occasional CEL - Concern?

RedRaider17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
New plugs have been in for roughly 1,600 miles. Didn’t skip a bit for roughly a month.Then driving into work this morning felt a slight hesitation and noticed a few more on the way home. Going to investigate some more just frustrated due to the intermittent intervals not making any sense.

RedRaider17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
@RedRaider17 did you replace the injectors with those you posted a link from FCP a few months ago?
Correct, I did replace all 4 injectors this go around with that FCP Euro kit. Car felt solid for about a month (roughly ~1600 miles). Then felt the stumble/hesitation but did not get any flashing CEL or EPC light like before.

RedRaider17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Some people have mentioned vacuum leak. Worth doing a smoke test and checking? Since I’m not getting any corresponding codes like (fuel pressure). I’m hesitant to start looking into the LPFP or HPFP options.

RedRaider17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S

RedRaider17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
So I was able to finally get another mechanic to recreate the issue. His recommendation was getting a fluidampr (which isn’t the first time I’ve heard that). They are thinking that the balance is off given the SMFW. When I first got the South Bend installed and was on my APR+ the RPMs had to be increased to help misfires at idle. However, in this cause would light load cruising hesitation possibly be fixed by the fluidampr?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So I was able to finally get another mechanic to recreate the issue. His recommendation was getting a fluidampr (which isn’t the first time I’ve heard that). They are thinking that the balance is off given the SMFW. When I first got the South Bend installed and was on my APR+ the RPMs had to be increased to help misfires at idle. However, in this cause would light load cruising hesitation possibly be fixed by the fluidampr?
Go to a different mechanic.

RedRaider17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Update:

So drove the car to work fine this morning and did not skip a beat. Started the car this evening after leaving work…within 1 minute of my drive home the car started misfiring like crazy. Pulled over stopped the car and checked code (Cylinder 2 misfire again). Usually after stopping and starting the car it would normally fix the issue however this time it kept misfiring no matter how many times I would turn off and turn on the car. Thankfully a co-worker stopped and with the car running. I checked coil pack 2 while the car was running and heard a spark. Noticed some odd color on the side of the wiring harness. Turned off the car and opened the tab as best I could on the wiring harness and pulled a metal bolt out!! (Picture attached). Started the car up and boom no misfire and drove home fine. Thinking the bolt was causing the cylinder to misfire hence the intermittent issues. Thoughts?

Also, anyone know what this part is too? Looks like a muffler exhaust ntp

Attachments

• CC7694D9-36D1-424D-A5C7-8914CB1F7C99.jpeg
    CC7694D9-36D1-424D-A5C7-8914CB1F7C99.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Wait. What? Where was this, how big is this thing? The bottom looks like a disco ball.

Girls, rock and roll, bad ass Vegas hos, late night booty calls, shiny disco balls.

RedRaider17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Wait. What? Where was this, how big is this thing? The bottom looks like a disco ball.

Girls, rock and roll, bad ass Vegas hos, late night booty calls, shiny disco balls.
Hahah!! It’s about a inch, I attached a picture showing the size. I found it on the wiring harness where the coil packs plug in and it was directly underneath cylinder 2. Google images says it’s from an air compressor..perhaps from the mechanics?

Attachments

• 3AA946EF-655E-4577-9839-FABB965353A2.jpeg
    3AA946EF-655E-4577-9839-FABB965353A2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116
  • 9F8551AA-79CC-4FCA-A82B-9DA5DEFCEF03.jpeg
    9F8551AA-79CC-4FCA-A82B-9DA5DEFCEF03.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112

RedRaider17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Unfortunately the issue has cropped up again. Drove ~1000 miles then about 5 minutes into the drive started misfiring on cylinder 2 while idling at the light. Turned off the car then turned back on and it was good enough to drive home.

Was able to get the simostools installed on my laptop and just got the dongle in last week so I guess it’s diagnostic checking to hopefully isolate the problem. Quite frustrating :/