GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire after Unitronic Stage 2 IS20

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yea very possible. All you have to do is modify the airmass tables to say 1500 gs/stk is now 200nm instead of 400nm. But if you don't change other nanny tables, it will want to see a number, then get mad when you're too far from that number. It's possible that's what happening here.
Who else has a Uni-tuned IS20 slush box?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Seems like the automagic guys get even less support than the DSG/6MT 1.8s do.
We're the red headed stepchild of the already underserved 1.8 tuning scene lol.

Can't speak to the quality of Unitronic tunes as I've been exclusively tuning with APR through my experience on my Mk7. Will say I had a smattering of misfires on my 91 octane APR Is20 downpipe tune, but it was only to the tune of about one every two months or so. Swapping to their Is38 file and I've literally had only two misfires in the bit over a year that I've been running it. Swap my plugs every 15k but still on the factory coil packs for what that's worth.

Edit: I should also note that virtually all my misfires came with breaking traction. One reason I think the Is38 tune has been more reliable in comparison is that with the much more linear power curve I find myself breaking traction a lot less on the front wheels than I did on Is20. There was one particularly brutal hairpin into a steep uphill on one of my favorite routes that I learned to tiptoe around since I think it was the cause of most of my misfires with the Is20.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It's possible it may be the 09G slush box. The built in torque limiter seems to cause problems for some tuners, to the point that a few won't recommend anything past basic stage 1 as the transmission can cause issues with power delivery. Ran into this issue with IE (One more reason to for everyone to hate them I guess :ROFLMAO: ) as they don't recommend stage 2 or their IS20 file for AQ250 transmissions. After scouring the forums I ended up picking both Sparky and Twindad's brains and am currently stuck between Reflect and APR for my turbo swap.

@jeffdemara Did you let Uni know you have the slush box when you spoke to them? They could be assuming your MT or DSG.

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
It's possible it may be the 09G slush box. The built in torque limiter seems to cause problems for some tuners, to the point that a few won't recommend anything past basic stage 1 as the transmission can cause issues with power delivery. Ran into this issue with IE (One more reason to for everyone to hate them I guess :ROFLMAO: ) as they don't recommend stage 2 or their IS20 file for AQ250 transmissions. After scouring the forums I ended up picking both Sparky and Twindad's brains and am currently stuck between Reflect and APR for my turbo swap.

@jeffdemara Did you let Uni know you have the slush box when you spoke to them? They could be assuming your MT or DSG.
Yes. They are aware. Waiting to get John on the phone though in the next few days I guess.

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
So my long term fuel trims are at +9.6%, and John says there’s an issue there. But also my wastegate duty cycle isn’t where it should be, and to check for leaks. Also recommended I swap back to my stock turbo muffler.

Swapped back to stock turbo muffler, but same issue persists. I guess maybe the next step is to do a pressured smoke test to check for leaks. But I highly doubt I have any, as the car is still fairly new and I’ve gone over all the connection points 3 times now.

Getting closer and closer to saying screw it and going back to the stock is12.

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Update...

So I went back and forth with Unitronic a bit. They recommended I test for any vacuum/boost leaks. Did a pressured smoke test, no leaks. They also sent me a revised version of the Stage 2 IS20 tune (not sure what they changed), but that didn’t fix the issue either.

So after much frustration and tons of troubleshooting, I decided to just swap back in my stock IS12 turbo and then flash back to the standard Stage 2 file. Zero issues now. No misfires or EPC light during shift, and wastegate duty cycle is back where it should be. Car is WAY slower, but I’m happy not having to worry about this problem anymore.

My best guess is that for whatever reason, my transmission wasn’t getting along with the extra torque and power the is20 was providing, and the tune or transmission wasn’t seeing what it‘s expecting. Not enough knowledge on how the transmission and tune work together, but it’s really the only thing I can think of.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update...

So I went back and forth with Unitronic a bit. They recommended I test for any vacuum/boost leaks. Did a pressured smoke test, no leaks. They also sent me a revised version of the Stage 2 IS20 tune (not sure what they changed), but that didn’t fix the issue either.

So after much frustration and tons of troubleshooting, I decided to just swap back in my stock IS12 turbo and then flash back to the standard Stage 2 file. Zero issues now. No misfires or EPC light during shift, and wastegate duty cycle is back where it should be. Car is WAY slower, but I’m happy not having to worry about this problem anymore.

My best guess is that for whatever reason, my transmission wasn’t getting along with the extra torque and power the is20 was providing, and the tune or transmission wasn’t seeing what it‘s expecting. Not enough knowledge on how the transmission and tune work together, but it’s really the only thing I can think of.
Bummer man.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Update...

I would have kept the is20 in place, demanded a refund, and then went with a tuner who can do the is20 and the auto. There are three that I know of that do it with no issues

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I would have kept the is20 in place, demanded a refund, and then went with a tuner who can do the is20 and the auto. There are three that I know of that do it with no issues
APR, Reflect, and ...? Looking around for those that play nice with the AQ250 and it looks like APR and Reflect are the only two i've found for turbo swaps. Everyone else calls out the 09G as being an issue with seeing full power from the tune.
IE: "Vehicles equipped with non-DSG automatic transmissions (AQ250) may see power limitations on Stage 2 and turbo upgrade tunes."
Uni doesn't recommend the IS38: Not available for Automatic Transmission (09G/09S) equipped models. DSG equipped models require Unitronic Stage 2 DSG Performance Software. Subject to ECU/TCU box code availability.
Revo: They don't go past stage 2, but did mention there may be some torque limiting with the 09G on stage 2
GIAC: No turbo swaps ATM for the 1.8T

UM? I spoke with them some, but I think most of their tuning is based around the DGS/MT.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
APR, Reflect, and ...? Looking around for those that play nice with the AQ250 and it looks like APR and Reflect are the only two i've found for turbo swaps. Everyone else calls out the 09G as being an issue with seeing full power from the tune.
IE: "Vehicles equipped with non-DSG automatic transmissions (AQ250) may see power limitations on Stage 2 and turbo upgrade tunes."
Uni doesn't recommend the IS38: Not available for Automatic Transmission (09G/09S) equipped models. DSG equipped models require Unitronic Stage 2 DSG Performance Software. Subject to ECU/TCU box code availability.
Revo: They don't go past stage 2, but did mention there may be some torque limiting with the 09G on stage 2
GIAC: No turbo swaps ATM for the 1.8T

UM? I spoke with them some, but I think most of their tuning is based around the DGS/MT.
I thought UM was doing it now. Might have been wrong. Still would have picked one if the other two though and kept the is20

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
There are a lot more options than just unironic out there, and the vast majority of them are far less finicky and just work. In your situation I would have gotten a refund and switched to APR, their tunes are dead reliable.

Last edited:

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
There are a lot more options than just unironic out there, and the vast majority of them are far less finicky and just work. In your situation I would have gotten a refund and switched to APR, their tunes are dead reliable.
That’s something I asked about. They said they don’t normally do that, and need to talk with John first, but haven’t gotten back to me about it. Not a huge priority to refund me I guess.