GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire after Unitronic Stage 2 IS20

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Not surprised. Tell them their tune sucks. See if they can work with you to fix it. If not, I really think you should get a refund.
I'd probably leave out "your tune sucks" and just try to get it sorted out with logging and a revised tune. There is just no way to make OTS tunes that work 100% of the time on 100% of the vehicles which of course is the mantra of the custom tuning crowd. At least now he's gone through the paces of what they requested. I wonder if he has spoken to John S. directly?

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'd probably leave out "your tune sucks" and just try to get it sorted out with logging and a revised tune. There is just no way to make OTS tunes that work 100% of the time on 100% of the vehicles which of course is the mantra of the custom tuning crowd. At least now you've gone through the paces of what they requested. Have you spoken to John S. directly?

I think stuff like slight knock, maybe not hitting boost targets, etc are okay for OTS tunes. But EPC is not acceptable. In this case it probably means a limiter was not set right.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think stuff like slight knock, maybe not hitting boost targets, etc are okay for OTS tunes. But EPC is not acceptable. In this case it probably means a limiter was not set right.
Correct - but I always think, how does this work on other's vehicles? Something is going on with this particular car and this tune that isn't common is my take.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Correct - but I always think, how does this work on other's vehicles? Something is going on with this particular car and this tune that isn't common is my take.
Did he flash back to stock to prove the EPC light is caused by the tune?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

Def think the problem is the tune. The not common thing is why they should go above and beyond to work with him to fix it for him and future customers. I really hope he gets more than "you need more parts" now.

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Did he flash back to stock to prove the EPC light is caused by the tune?
I haven’t flashed back to stock as I’m IS20 with downpipe. It’s been my understanding that I wont be able to do a full throttle pull in 3rd and shift to 4th to replicate the issue with a bigger turbo bolted on the car and software that doesn’t match it ?

also have not spoken with John directly, but really would like to at this point

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Also notice that 1st and 2nd gear torque setpoint and actual are matching, but in 3rd it isn’t matching the torque setpoint.

Is this normal?

Boost is matching the target though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 99

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Assuming they didn't do anything crazy with the torque reference tables, a reported torque of in the 200s is really low for a IS20 car at full boost. Do you have airmass numbers?

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Assuming they didn't do anything crazy with the torque reference tables, a reported torque of in the 200s is really low for a IS20 car at full boost. Do you have airmass numbers?
Bottom green line: “Mass Air flow - actual kg/h”

Orange line: “mass air flow (mg/stk)”

Attachments

• 02F33097-922B-45FF-A673-1BB3174DA9A7.jpeg
    02F33097-922B-45FF-A673-1BB3174DA9A7.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 102

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I haven’t flashed back to stock as I’m IS20 with downpipe. It’s been my understanding that I wont be able to do a full throttle pull in 3rd and shift to 4th to replicate the issue with a bigger turbo bolted on the car and software that doesn’t match it ?

also have not spoken with John directly, but really would like to at this point
j.staffi@getunitronic.com

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Def think the problem is the tune. The not common thing is why they should go above and beyond to work with him to fix it for him and future customers. I really hope he gets more than "you need more parts" now.
I don't disagree, however, it's a 2-part equation - tune + vehicle and that tune more than likely works fine on more cars than it doesn't but yes, they should be able to either 1) correct the tune to work with this particular situation or 2) point to a mechanical issue to check.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I don't disagree, however, it's a 2-part equation - tune + vehicle and that tune more than likely works fine on more cars than it doesn't but yes, they should be able to either 1) correct the tune to work with this particular situation or 2) point to a mechanical issue to check.

Seems like the automagic guys get even less support than the DSG/6MT 1.8s do.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Seems like the automagic guys get even less support than the DSG/6MT 1.8s do.
Brutal is my understanding! @TwinDad can speak ad-nauseum on the subject. Seems like Reflect is the way to go with the auto.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
They need to trick the automatic torque sensor, so it could have something to do with that
Yea very possible. All you have to do is modify the airmass tables to say 1500 gs/stk is now 200nm instead of 400nm. But if you don't change other nanny tables, it will want to see a number, then get mad when you're too far from that number. It's possible that's what happening here.