GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Minor front end damage

Tomass79

I hit a small animal last week and this happened. I have found a replacement grille pretty easily but does anyone know if the black broken plastic on the bottom is a separate piece I can purchase? This goes in for the 20K service in a little bit so I may just get a quote from the dealership first. (I am pretty sure I have a high deductible on my insurance). I am willing to fix it myself but I can't find anything on that bottom piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_060847.jpg
    IMG_20201101_060847.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20201101_060857.jpg
    IMG_20201101_060857.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 226

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
2016 gti. Hit a rabbit and cracked the lower portion of the bumper cover and broke the inner black trim. I'm thinking this is the black replacement piece. https://www.vwkennesawparts.com/p/V...ck-20L-AT/Spoiler/51744009/5GM805915A9B9.html . Thinking I'll bondo the crack from the inside and replace the black piece. Thankfully the clip didn't break. Hoping the crack won't be too noticable after I'm done View attachment 187403

Per this other thread, #15 (diagram in the link) is what you're looking to replace.

Hopefully helpful, otherwise feel free to curse me out.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Recently replaced the grill on my 17 GTI and I can tell you that it is all one piece, that is, the piece you asked about is part of the honeycomb grill above it. Mine cost about $110 from the dealer.

Tomass79

I am sure that is it. Thanks so much! That was fast. I will try to find a video of how to install it. I think I can live with the grille being cracked...

Tomass79

Recently replaced the grill on my 17 GTI and I can tell you that it is all one piece, that is, the piece you asked about is part of the honeycomb grill above it. Mine cost about $110 from the dealer.
Ok. I guess I was hoping that was the case. I will just stop by the dealership this week and see if they can order it for me. Was it bad to do?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Installing is somewhat of a pain as the complete front fascia has to come off the car. Getting the grill out is frustrating and time consuming because there a lot of clips holding the grill in and one needs to be careful not to break something else. Having some trim tools help as these will not damage the painted part of fascia. Installing the new one is the easy part bus just be sure to get all the clips lined up and latched. Patience is a virtue.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you're talking the thick plastic connectors on the back of the bumper, best bet would to be lightly hit them with a heat gun. Those things are on their pretty good, and were quite the pain when I did my front fog retrofit. Maybe pick up a dual syringe of JB plastic weld just in case.

Tomass79

I just got a quote from the VW dealership for $206.00 installed. I still haven't decided...I fear doing more damage trying it myself. I will watch some more videos and decide...

The_Essbee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI Reflex Silver
I'm awaiting mine in the mail. I'm planning on getting an intercooler if one goes on sale this month. I figured I'd install the two items at the same time since I'll have it all apart anyways.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I'm just glad to finally see someone with more bugs in their radiator than mine.