GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid-range alternatives to Michelin PSS

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Tire Rack has GMax in 225/40/18 for $112.99. A set of 4 would run $381.96 with the $70 rebate.
If you pick up at the warehouse, you get a $40 discount for wheels or tires or $80 for a wheel and tire package. And you don't pay sales tax in Delaware.
If you can find a wheel you like there, you also save the cost of mounting, balancing and lugs. I've made the trip at least four times after finding out about the pickup discount.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Tire Rack has GMax in 225/40/18 for $112.99. A set of 4 would run $381.96 with the $70 rebate.
If you pick up at the warehouse, you get a $40 discount for wheels or tires or $80 for a wheel and tire package. And you don't pay sales tax in Delaware.
If you can find a wheel you like there, you also save the cost of mounting, balancing and lugs. I've made the trip at least four times after finding out about the pickup discount.
Yeah im picking up max in DE soon, I was thinking about getting the motegi MR140 with them but idn i really like konig and tirerack doesnt sell them

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yeah, not with the better Pirelli PZ4 being so cheap ($128.75 +$70 rebate on 4 at the moment).

I really like my GMax RS, but that's a good deal on those particular Pirellis and if I needed replacements right now I'd probably be considering them.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
I really like my GMax RS, but that's a good deal on those particular Pirellis and if I needed replacements right now I'd probably be considering them.
If I hadn't gotten a good deal on Michelin PS4S from Costco a month back ($755 all in with tax, installation, and their standard 5 year road hazard warranty), I'd probably have gotten those Pirelli PZ4s.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
my buddy has the pirelli p zero nero on his car (this is one of the ones on the deal) reviews are really good online, but he can spin his tires like crazy and get the car sideways easy (its a mustang), I myself was doing donuts in it lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Isn't the nero an A/S tire though?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yeah you have to be careful with Pirellis....there are so many iterations of P Zero, and even P Zero Nero, that it's confusing and they seem tovary quite a lot in terms of performance. But the summer PZ4 referenced above is a very good tire, especially at that price.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
yeah i guess anyone is going to be better off with falkens, gmax rs, pirelli p zero, pxxx vs OEM or vs older tires. Didn't like the reviews of people saying falkens are weak sidewall, and some mixed reviews of pirelli on here, so i just went General lol

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Where did u find dekagrams on sale. Those are on my short list, really not sure who to buy konigs from, and or who does deals a lot
Auto Anything had a sale. Got a set shipped for $847, including PA sales tax.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I've run majority of the tires you're considering, although Super Sports in place of the 4S. I currently run the Falken FK510, previously had the Conti ECS, my wife runs Indy 500's on her WRX. Daily driven all of them, tracked all of them. Best quality to price ratio IMO is the FK510. They're easily best in the wet, the most comfortable, and don't trade off too much in overall performance. For the price, they're hard to beat. The Indy 500's are also pretty good, but a little stiffer, a little heavier, a little worse in the wet. Great tires overall, but not the only choice. The Conti ECS are fantastic top to bottom, but generally more expensive. Super Sports are crazy expensive, and to be honest - if you're searching for overall grip, there's an entire class of tire above them, for less money, that destroy them in the performance department. If you have the cash or are just a fan of the tire, by all means. I just personally find it difficult to shell out that kind of cash for that level of performance.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
love this thread, I created one like it before and it had lots of nay-says who preach Ps4s or nothing, and not everyone has 900 for tires. when the mid range performance tires are going for 4-600. Mostly everyone here used the mk7 for daily driving, and if your going to track then get a track setup or they already have a track setup, but good info being spread here. that being said, cant wait to pickup my GmaxRs this week from tirerack, gonna be on the shelf a bit til I get new wheels but still exciting