GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid-range alternatives to Michelin PSS

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
Currently have Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/40 on my 2016 Golf. They're nearing end-of-life at around 27k miles, though I thought they'd make it longer. They've been great, wet or dry.

I was hoping to replace them this time with something a bit less costly. Any suggestions for a mid-range alternative? Research so far keeps pointing to the really good stuff like the PS4S (seem to currently be $200/tire), or Continental such and such (~$180/tire) or the budget options from say, Falken or Kumho. Or maybe those last two ARE in the mid-range.

Remember, Golf! I’m not tracking this thing. It breezes around the Bay Area (so I assume there's no real need for all season) and is a commuter a few days a week. I do like nice things, and those MPSS were nice. When they replaced the stock wheels, along with springs, I could immediately tell the difference in general handling, turning, rain, safety, etc. But do I need over $800 in tires on a Golf.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
FWIW, the Pirelli PZ4 were a pretty close second overall to the Michelin PS4S in Tire Rack's testing, and are $155.63 per tire in 235/40-18 on Tire Rack right now.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Ive had the Continental Extreme Contact Sports for the last ~15,000 miles and they’ve done quite well, although I’m starting to get a little noise from the rears as they’ve reached about 4/32nds. Tbh if you’re just commuting and not tracking/auto crossing the car, buy the quietest/most comfortable all seasons/summer tires you can find. The performance tires get real loud and annoying sometimes on Bay Area roads.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
The best all seasons tires are looking to be pretty nice... I haven't ran all seasons in forever, but I've been looking at them on the tire rack instrumented tests/comparisons. Same car/same size their lap times / average cornering G-force is very good, way better than I expected. I'm sure they don't handle extreme heat like you'd see on a track nearly as well, but for a year round street tire.......may only be giving up a tiny tiny bit of max grip and be better in the colder temps etc. Something like the michelin a/s 3+. Just something else to consider. Similar price up front, but they will last longer.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I'm looking at some 19" tires for my GTI and currently have PSS on my existing 18" wheels. I'd love to get the PS4's but can't justify the cost. I wish Michelin made the AS3+ in 235/35/19 but they don't so I'm not sure what to look at.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
FWIW, if you're okay with summer tires, Tire rack has the Firestone Indy 500 for $184 per tire in 235/35-19.

Navi

Autocross Champion
FYI, the new Advan Apex V601 are much cheaper and have $100 rebate now.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Apex+V601

After rebate 245/40-18 are around 579 plus tax.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
FWIW, if you're okay with summer tires, Tire rack has the Firestone Indy 500 for $184 per tire in 235/35-19.

I've read their wet performance isn't as good as some other similar tires. Living in what is essentially a rain forest, wet performance is just as important as dry performance. The PSS have been excellent in the rain, even standing water. Maybe Michelin will come up with some decent spring rebates.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
Yeah, not with the better Pirelli PZ4 being so cheap ($128.75 +$70 rebate on 4 at the moment).