GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid Life GTI Journey

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Diverter valve replaced and 28.8 psi achieved! Just in time for boost weather here in SE NC. This thing is a blast to drive!

@tigeo thanks for mentioning the DV. I found the issue much quicker with your tip.

I think a radar detector may be on my shopping list soon.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Would LOVE a dragon run! Been wanting to do one for a long time! Those shadowy areas on the way in at the 270 degree turns would be somewhat scary LOL

Be happy to join in, did it earlier this year on my way to Alpine Volks Fair down in Helen, GA and grabbed 1/2 dozen runs on the ToTD on the way back. Back is a lot of fun but still think Tail is a better road/more fun drive and it's shorter - but I get the crowd issue. When I did Tail it was light w/r to traffic and we had a blast. On the back on the run in the video below, I litterally had the entire run to myself b/c of the construction had it stopped for about 15 min and I negotiated with the couple cars in front of us to let my buddy and I get out in front when they opened it up. That time of year need to verify road conditions and ensure no snow/ice at upper elevations.

How about this Thursday? Lol

I was just up that way in the Suburban & it killed me not getting to throw the GTI around
Planning on going on January 14th with a group from the NC VAG group. I understand it's the dead of winter at 3500 feet... If there's a chance for snow, ice, or wet roads, we'll punt. Let me know if interested and I'll send the details.

@Treadup, sorry for clogging up your thread dude.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Planning on going on January 14th with a group from the NC VAG group. I understand it's the dead of winter at 3500 feet... If there's a chance for snow, ice, or wet roads, we'll punt. Let me know if interested and I'll send the details.

@Treadup, sorry for clogging up your thread dude.
No problem man. Have anymore details on the January 14 meetup?

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Diverter valve replaced and 28.8 psi achieved! Just in time for boost weather here in SE NC. This thing is a blast to drive!

@tigeo thanks for mentioning the DV. I found the issue much quicker with your tip.

I think a radar detector may be on my shopping list soon.

Highly recommend using a radar detector. I got one soon after buying the GTI and it’s saved me multiple times.

Check out this website if you need recommendations

https://www.vortexradar.com/best-radar-detectors/

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Highly recommend using a radar detector. I got one soon after buying the GTI and it’s saved me multiple times.

Check out this website if you need recommendations

https://www.vortexradar.com/best-radar-detectors/
I’ve read reviews a few times but prices vary widely. I live on the coast which is flat and drive in the city and highway to work. What option do you have and what is your driving like?

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I have a Radenso XP which I bought back in 2016. It’s worked well the whole time with no issues. At this point it’s not as quiet as it used to be, I think the filtering they programmed it with is out of date.

I live in the city and work from home now so I don’t commute anymore. I like to take my car whenever we go on trips that don’t require the space/AWD of our Subaru. I don’t drive crazy, but like to cruise around 75-80 and occasionally stomp it for fun or to get around people. With the radar detector and Waze I feel pretty comfortable. It definitely varies based on where you live and what law enforcement uses. A lot of times here the state patrol seems to leave their radar on which is ideal for the detector. On a trip out to the ocean recently it saved me. Was on a rural highway cruising over 80 and the detector went off alerting me to state patrol around the curve sitting on the side of the road with radar on.

My reasoning is the price for a detector is probably less than a ticket. They don’t make you invincible, but makes it easier to enjoy your car without worrying too much.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I have a Uniden R3 and it has treated me well so far and saved me on a couple trips too, it has great range. As previously stated, the best combo is the radar and waze.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I have a Uniden R3 and it has treated me well so far and saved me on a couple trips too, it has great range. As previously stated, the best combo is the radar and waze.
I was looking at the R3 actually. Thinking of hardwiring it in as well as I want it to be a clean install.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I was looking at the R3 actually. Thinking of hardwiring it in as well as I want it to be a clean install.
10/10 recommend hardwiring it. I haven't hardwired it into the GTI yet (the kit is sitting in my garage I just need to carve out some time for it this week), but I have it hardwired in my A4 and it's nice not having the cable dangling. Just pick up a Uniden hardwire kit and a fuse tap and you're set.

I'll post some pics in my thread when I hardwire it in the VW.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Installed the Aerofabb V2 Splitter today using 45mm length bolts instead of the 50mm bolts provided to just barely clear the BAUN fmic.
FF24FE27-F6B9-41B6-83A0-CBB0B7F8723E.jpeg
F7F22378-9205-4FA5-B757-F8B0D7E82F38.jpeg

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Not sure why a drug my feet for a few weeks to install this grounding kit from @StorableComa. Super easy install since I had the tools needed. This Terminal Removal Tool is a must have for this job as well as any other connector work.
I inspect my spark plugs every 5k miles at a minimum so this upgrade was well worth it imo.
818A1360-554D-478E-B4B9-FCA1A15B2CDF.jpeg
16A69A54-740A-45C1-B49B-ED7BAE959509.jpeg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok, I may be in on the BoTD run on 1/14. What are the details?